PDA

View Full Version : NEW WILDS

jim_shedden
01-08-2003, 11:48 PM
here are some pictures of some wilds that I picked up from Oliver Luncanus on Christmas.

jim_shedden
01-08-2003, 11:48 PM

jim_shedden
01-08-2003, 11:49 PM

01-08-2003, 11:51 PM
are those wild greens??? i just picked up some wilds that look alot like that and are similar in size... :)

Francisco_Borrero
01-09-2003, 11:05 AM
They look very nice! I would love to see more pictures in greater detail, such as a little closer one fish at a time or so.
Two fish in the 1st picture look like they are dominant (the center, and the one on the right), as they are exhibiting dominant 5th bars. Are they like the "bosses" in the tank ? Do you know the locations of origin of some of them ?
Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Francisco.

DarkDiscus
01-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Jim,

I need to get me some wild fish! I expect that once I get a fishroom that will be my next discus purchase - I'm on a 2 year timetable here!

Until then I'll look at pics of yours! And yours, too, Francisco!

John

01-09-2003, 11:14 AM
ahh...saw your other thread....heckels....hard to tell without close-ups...

Tad
01-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Jim,
Looking very good, Oliver did good! L :o :o ks like they are already family favorites ;D

thanks for sharing,
Tad

jim_shedden
01-09-2003, 12:40 PM
I will try to take some better pics this evening.

Fransico : The 2 largest are Purus. There are also 4 hnumunda's (sp) and 3 heckles. The big purus own's the tank and the only other fish he allows near the food is the small (4") heckle. The little guy shadows the big one so no-one else will bother him.
Years ago ............. about 29 years to be exact I was 16 and I accidently bred wild browns which were about the only thing you could get at the time. I have been out of the hobby until about a year and a half ago. I have some very beautiful fish from Cary but it is real funny when I am comparing(I should say observing) the wilds to the domestics. The wilds grow on you. They have wonderful personalities and there is also a certain gentleness to them. My daughter calls the domestics the "LAS VEGAS" fish because of their glitz. I am planning a real neat experiment in the summer in which I am planning to incorporate some wilds. When I have my plans together I will share the info in the hope of gathering some ideas.

jim_shedden
01-09-2003, 12:47 PM
One other note. The large Purus was immediately fed by hand. I put in some frozen blood worms and he came to my hand. This was after being in the tank only 5 minutes. What is really interesting is that he will allow my daughter (Jessie) to scratch his forehead with her finger. She can stick her hand into the tank and this discus will come up and bow until she rubs his head. He won't do that for me. When Jessie comes down the stairs the wilds go crazy with excitement. They don't give a rats a$$ when I come down ;D. I will try to get a picture of this tonight. When she comes in from school she jokes that she is going downstairs to pet the fish.

Jim

01-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Jim: Looking good. Your have the large Madeira that I suppose to pick. I picked the smaller because they're more colorful. Another fellow name Jim also bought some Madeira. All owners of Madeira are called Jim. That's Jim's fish. I just post some pic of the wilds in our photo section.
Jimmy.

jim_shedden
01-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Jimmy : I thought that the maderia's were suppose to be red bassed? I was trying to figure this out.

01-09-2003, 01:15 PM
I have 2 yellow and 2 red.They look more like Red Heckels. The yellow show red once in a while during feeding. I think they will change as they grow. Here's the one look more Heckel with red fins.