PDA

View Full Version : Ken Davis AKA fishfarmUSA

fishfarm
01-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi Y'all! I am a discus breeder and importer in Gerogia, Many of you already know me. I've been keeping fish for 40 years and until a few years ago was known more in the African circles, The past 4-5 years I have been much more involved with my favorite fish! I have a 3000 sq. ft. hatchery behind my house that keeps me quite busy since I still also have a full time job and a wife and 3 kids and I also am President of the Atlanta Area Aquarium Assoiciaiton and a Board of Trustee member of the ACA. Whew and I also sleep occationally!
I got a chance to go to Asia in May 2000 with Bing Seto and visit Discus farms in 5 countries and see just who has the best fish. So far I have imported from just a few of them. I usually get great fish but sometimes a few football make it in and I cull them. Overall I've been very impressed with what I get. I do breed discus also, but not in large numbers.
My next goal is to travel to South America and collect. I'm working on Jack to take me with him on one of his trip. :)
My favorite discus is the Heckel and I save many skinny pet shop fish and fatten them up. So far I have yet to breed them, But have some promising fish. Jack told me I'll never breed them as he never has so I feel challenge to do something Wattly has never done!
I feel fortunate to have met many of the greats! Jack Wattley, Joe Szelesi, Cary Strong, Bing Seto, Ray Kosaka, Wayne Ng, Chung Wai Sheng, Johnny Yip, Koay Lock, Kitti Phananetti, Martin Ng, Kelvin Chang and many more.
Visit my web site, http://fishfarm.home.mindspring.com
It's usually outdated, but I have some good pictures of my fish.
Y'all take care! Ken

01-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Welcome Ken ;D

01-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Ken, Gee, you got Cary at aloss for words!! Welcome to our playground. Joe ;)

Don_Lee
01-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Welcome Ken!

Don ;D

brewmaster15
01-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi Ken,
Welcome to Simply Discus! I hope you have great success with breeding those heckles. That is a challenge I hope to attempt and win as well some day.

Then theres the trip south to collect. I have a few biology colleagues working in costa rica. One year I will visit them, and together we'lll make that trip to collect , explore, and photograph! Its a great thing to look forward to!

Take care,
al

Jeffery_Doty
01-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Ken,

Welcome to the forum!

I have bought some Apistos. and other cichlids from Ken, and was very happy with what he sent and their condition. Now you just need to import from Brazil so I can get some Satanoperca!

I hope you get to make your trip to South America and do some collecting. I will foward my want list to you!

Jeff
Oregon

fishfarm
01-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi Jeff, I'm still trying to find someone in Brazil who will sell to me. Since I'm a hobbyist they won't send me a pricelist. I may just have to go down and collect them myself! I do have an import license and bring in fish from Columbia and Peru. I got a great batch of yellow based browns in from Columbia and a friend (Anand) is working with them to cross with his golds to try and get that nice honey colored brown. I also gave him my Ist place female gold (ACA 2001) to work with as he's a better breeder than me.
He promised me the first batch of fry!
As far as the other cichlids from S.A. I add them to the order to get the frieght cost down on the discus and angels I import.
It's fun because sometime I have no idea what they will look like until I get them. Ken

ChloroPhil
01-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Ken,

Welcome aboard! It's good to see you here.

Folks, a friend of mine took a trip to Ken's and said his tanks are top notch. If my friend's purchases are any indication of the regular stock we've got a hell of a resource here!

Jamie H
05-11-2003, 10:56 PM
I some red turq. fish from ken. They were great. I actually won them off of aquabid, but keep looking for new strains from him. The turqs had beautiful color along with geagous red eyes. I had one die, yet I think it was from a newer tank and my inexperience.
The ones left are just great. I will buy from ken again :)

fcdiscus
05-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Jamie- Read read read! Study study study! Frank :o

Jeff
05-12-2003, 02:04 AM
LOL Frank. Jamie I would do some studying and more reading before purchasing any fish from anyone. There are good examples of discus on this site. Look around and compare so you will not regret any purchases in the future.

mench
05-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Jamie,please post another picture of that fish....Maybe I am seeing something that the others don't .Thanks and good luck with your fish.

Mench

Jamie H
05-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Mench, what do you see wrong email me. I like the fish and don't see anything wrong, yet i am fairly new to discus. Thanks, Jamie

Orient
05-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi Jamie..

Just as a reference..the discus pic that Im postin should be bout the same size as yours...

See any difference... ;) ;)

Jeff
05-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Jamie,

The most important thing is you are happy with them. More pics would be necessary to tell for sure, but I think this is a less than Ideal discus. The eyes are too large in proportion to the body. When this occurs we say the fish is stunned or runted. There are several reasons why this can occur. The most common is it was malnourished as a young discus. As a result the discus will never reach its full potential as far as size as an adult discus.

Frequent water changes and good food will help this discus to overcome some of its past.

fcdiscus
05-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Jamie, In the middle of this picture is a six month old healthy red turk. Frank 8)

05-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi,

in my opinion large eyes are due to poor water quality-not changing enough water,not wiping down the sides, not rinsing the filters, keeping way too many fish in a tank for too long of a time.

Jamie,

if you'd like opinions on the fish i could send you a private message.

take care

alex

Jamie H
05-13-2003, 10:31 AM
The picture I posted does not do justice for the fish from Ken. The discus is now about 3" and it's eyes are about half the size of a pea. I took the picture from a digital video camera that doesn't seem to do a good job with fish. Since, I posted that I have watched my fish for a long period of time and he or she seems to have a great eye size. That is not a very good pic. I didn't think it would be criticized. However, I am sorry if I hurt your business by posting that Ken, but I am sold. I am ordering beautiful Red Pigeon Blood's after posting this. Thanks Jamie

mench
05-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Jamie,I don't think you hurt anyones business..nobody slammed Ken or your fish,they just gave you their opinions,which is just THEIR OPINIONS..it is not written in stone..As I said in my note I thought the pic could be the cluprit...as long as you are happy with your fish and with Ken's service,things are good.Remember you are the only one who has top be happy,not the rest of the board.
Enjoy your fish,and good luck with the new guys....habit forming isn't it??????

Mench

Jamie H
05-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Yes it is definately habit forming. I love Discus. I am getting ready to buy a bigger tank. I can't seem to gett enough of these fish. I guess that is why people like Ken are in business, cause of us attics. I wonder if the have a support group, maybe "Discus Lover Anonymous." And it doesn't bother me having people tell me about my fish, I need all the help I can get, it is just the picture doesn't do the fish justice. Maybe I will need to take it with a 35mm camera and scan it instead of the digital. Thanks Jamie

fishfarm
05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi Jamie, Please don't worry about me, I sell all my fish with no problem, Forums can be hard on new comers. Live and learn. :)
Those wild greens you asked about are full size adults, can't go wrong with them. And yes the picture does not do them justice, I'm a fishkeeper not a photographer. ;) Ken