PDA

View Full Version : Too quiet here. Let's start posing your Pic.

01-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Here is my new fish. A Wild Curipera.

01-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Another one Wild Solid Red.

01-09-2003, 12:54 PM
A female Curipera with a Paranha bite mark.

01-09-2003, 12:59 PM
A wild Heckel Madeira corss.

brewmaster15
01-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Jimmy,
Who Made that cross? or was it caught like that?

-al

its beautiful!

EthanCote.com
01-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Wow Jimmy,

I never imagine those wild fish to be that pretty. Too bad I left TO without seeing them first hand.

Well I'll be making a pit stop at yer place first thing when I get in TO ;D

Really lovely fishes. Glad to see they are doing well.

Cheers,

Chi.

goldengatediscus
01-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey Jimmy:
My sister is coming to San Francisco from Toronto on Saturday. How about putting one of those fish in a bag, and letting her bring it to me. I'm sure that they would love it here in California!! ;D ;D
Beautiful fish!
Brigitte

01-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Al: The Madeira was caught in the lower basin of the Amazon where there's flood during rainy season. Discus from the upper region therefore have a chance to immigrate to Madeira and shew some wild oats there. He's a natural cross. Oliver don't think much about them casue they will not breed true. but I like the central bar and with the cross with another fish. I may be able to breed them a lot easier than a true Heckel.
Brig: Just wait till I have fry, you're the first one on my list.
Jimmy.

Rod
01-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi Jimmy,

Nice awesome wilds :)

Correct me here if i am wrong but the Madeira is a southern tributary of the Amazon. Acording to my map there is a swamp near the mouth of the madeira which under flood would connect the maues and the Abacaxis rivers which i believe to be the home of the Willischwartzi discus. So wouldn't it make sence that that wild with the prominent bar is the subspecies willischwartzi and not a hybrid discus at all. My understanding is the Amazon river itself is a formidable barrier for discus and it would be immpossible to cross heckel with brown discus there because the true heckel cannot be found south of the Amazon.

Rod

01-09-2003, 05:30 PM
WOW!!!! I love those wilds!!! They are beautiful!!!!

Weezy ;D

01-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Rod: You may be right. My knowledge of the wild is very limited. All of them were learnt within 2 hours with Oliver. You are absolutely right some tributaries separated by a short distance will have completely different discus due to it's georaphic location like a Saw Tooth where the water cannot mix and separated by their undulating ridges. But I don't think he's the Willischwartzi discus. They are the Hybirds. Oliver had 10 of the Madieras. Some of them look very much like the Heckel with red striations. Here's another Madeira. Their black central bar can fade in and out so fast depending on their mood and their color as well. They have their best color at feeding time. All these pictures were taken at feeding time. The Curipera can turn yellowish green in a few seconds from bright red. Very interesting.

Jimmy.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Looking good Jimmy.
The curipera are just so nice it is hard not to put them on show and tell.
Dennis

mench
01-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Jimmy nice pics,are those wilds really that red??????? If so I have to look into them,and hare they hard to breed???

Mench

BlueTurquoise
01-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Holly cow Jimmy that is one nice fish! :o

Jeez I could hate you! lol just kidding!

:o

Chong

01-09-2003, 08:14 PM
There isn't too many Curipera around in the world. they were discovered 4 years ago and only caught less than 65 the first year and about 160 the year after. I believe there were only 4 hobbyists in US had them before me. Now there are 7. 3 people in DAAH just bought them in the new year. None of them had seen an egg from them. Only a couple of wild experts were able to breed them in Germany. Dennis is most likely will be the first person in North American to breed them. With my hard water in Canada. I don't think I have a chance to do that. I'm happy just to keep them alive. Are they really red?? Yes, they're. there's no color enhanced by photoshop. Here is the pic Dennis sent me and had caused considerable agonizing pain inside me wanting to get them.
http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzEwNDIyNTIwNjMvMS80MDE4LzE1NS8zMi8xVEZ2bHl0aE RoRENCMC1kRmZVWEpn/22fd296be8eea877163bd25f213353b4/clbk=HcZNnT9kkUgHBnZCLqii7Obzja1Hrc8ZhbqrullvYofHz reLagmDkmFghQVHlPGDPJkwDtU3H*k$/jpg.jpgURL
Jimmy.

BlueTurquoise
01-09-2003, 08:18 PM
So Jimmy, when are you sending me a few? ;D

Michael
01-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Looks like Jimmy and Dennis are causing The Curipera's Fever in America. :waaa:
Nice fish!!! :thumbsup:

EthanCote.com
01-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Man those fish are the stuffs that dream are made of.

Sigh.

Cheers,

Chi.

zoids
01-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Jimmy,

I Love those wilds. They are a real Beauty.

Roy

Carol_Roberts
01-09-2003, 10:13 PM
I have seen Dennis fish and understand why Jimmy is so taken with them. Beautiful subtle coloring, shading from red to pumpkin pie in the middle. It hard to fully capture the shading in a photograph. Very regal discus.

Carol :heart1:

April
01-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Jimmy...their fantastic.!! you gotta breed them...as i need some.
or..Dennis....pretty please with sugar on top?
;D

BlueTurquoise
01-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Werw! I must have posted just after your posting of the 2 red ones Jimmy, I missed yor post. All I can say is OMG WOW! :o :o :o

They are awesome! how red are they!!!

Chong

01-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Blue: The two red one are not mine. These are the fish that drove me crazy at the first place. Dennis_H sent it to me. I think, they are the F1 from the German Breeder. I was told the F2 are even better than their parents. They're red at 2" in size.
Jimmy.

wo
01-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Jimmy and Dennis:

Your Curipera discus are so pretty. Are they hard to keep? Since they are so rare I truely wish that one day they breed. I heard that the wilds sometimes start to breed at the age of 5, is that true? Could some pros like you tell some basic tips of keeping the wild discus. Thanks!!!