PDA

View Full Version : "pH challenged" - need advice please

Marksor
01-09-2003, 04:57 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5934

Please refer to my last post, link provided above. I am not sure what to do in order to get the pH right before making a water change, and would really appreciate some advice. Here is my situation:

Water out of the Tap:
pH = 7.0
GH (General Hardness) = 1.0 °kH

Water in my 50 Gal Fish Tank, 60 hours after last water change
pH = 6.5
GH (General Hardness) = 3.0 °kH

Water in my 32 Gal Storage Container, after 36 hours (Powerhead used to circulate water, but no air injected into water)
pH = 7.5
GH (General Hardness) = 2.0 °kH

The pH difference between my Storage Container and my Tank is a net of 1.0. To lower the pH of the water in the Storage Container, before I put it into the Tank, I am not sure what to do - i.e. do I reduce circulation in the Storage Container? Cover the container? Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Tank Environment
- 50 Gal Acrylic
- Gravel (limited, i.e. < 1/2" in bottom)
- Some Plants (Crinum thaianum)
- Temperature 87F
- Water changes: 50% every 48 hours
- 8 Discus in tank (small, all less than 3 inches size)

Carol_Roberts
01-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Don't worry about the higher pH in your storage container. You have very soft water. It sounds like you can just adjust for temperature, add dechlor product if needed and add to tank.

I don't understand how your GH (hardness) could raise from the tap to your storage tank. ??? The gravel in your fish tank may be leaching minerals into your water raising the hardness, but I assume the storage tank is bare. Are you sure your test kits are accurate? The GH (hardness) should be the same from tap, storage and tank unless something is adding disolved calcium/magnesium to the water.

CArol :heart1:

BlueTurquoise
01-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Yes, GH should not change much at all unless there is a catalyst in the tank that is reacting with your tank water. Sea shells, limestones, peat moss and many other chemically reactive materials. I would check it out and find out exactly what it is if only for peace of mind...

Chong

Marksor
01-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the guidance Carol and BlueTurquoise, I appreciate it!

Carol says "Don't worry about the higher pH in your storage container." So does this mean it's OK to put the water from the storage container into my tank, even when reading a pH of 7.5?

Thanks for the comments on GH >> I will try another test kit that I just bought (Aquarium Pharmacuticals). May also be traces of Epsom Salt left in the Tank from one week ago (one fish got scaped up, so I put in some Epsom).

I also use a UV Sterilizer in my Tank, and wonder if that has any impact on the water conditions. Thanks again .....

BlueTurquoise
01-09-2003, 10:32 PM
hmmm UV sterilizer... :inquisitive:

not sure about that and GH...

Yes higher PH storage water is fine, the difference between my setup is storage: 7.5ph, tank: 7 PH. When you think about it and do the maths, it's a 0.5 PH difference and you change 30% therefore it is only 30% of the 0.5ph change every water change, that is less than 0.2 ph change every water cahnge. No biggy at all so long as it is not a 2 degree change or whatever!

I would be more worried about why GH changes as this could have a big impact on parameters when, lets say you skip a water change, GH may drop dramatically... worste case scenario of course but I would still try to work out what is going on in there.

Chong :thumbsup:

Carol_Roberts
01-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Epsom salt will raise hardness. UV sterilizer will not change hardness. OK to go to a bit higher pH - lowering pH too quickly stresses them.
Carol :heart1: