PDA

View Full Version : Rio Jatapu Biotope

Ralph
01-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Rio Jatapu Biotope
an Interview with Oliver Lucanus

This is the first in a series of interviews of discus experts who have been to the Amazon. Each interview will focus on a specific area and will describe the environment in which the discus live. The principle intent is to provide a visual description for those people interested in creating a discus biotope in their aquariums. But the information provided will help all of us to better understand our discus and where they come from.
Our first expert is Oliver Lucanus. He is involved in more things than I can name but he is probably best know as the owner of Below Water (www.belowwater.com), a large tropical fish wholesale importer, located in Montreal, Canada. He is also an author, photographer, and is sponsoring The Red Island Damba Project, a conservation project to save Madagascar’s disappearing wildlife areas. He has written over 200 articles, is an associate editor for Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine, and has judged international discus shows. He also travels extensively (he is in Brasil right now on another trip) and conducts expeditions to the Amazon and Africa. And somehow he made time to do this interview.
Everything in parentheses is by me.

What area of the Amazon River Basin would you like to discuss?
My comments will refer to a clear water habitat along the upper Rio Jatapu (Located east of the Rio Negro, it is a tributary of the Rio Uatuma which enters the Amazon River from the north between Manaus and Nhamunda). Discus are typically a mixed water fish and there are few places where you can actually observe discus under water like you can in a clear water stream.

What kind of discus did you see on the Rio Jatapu?
The fish here are nearly all Royal Blue (http://www.belowwater.com/fish/wild-discus/index.html). The fish are larger and more powerful than in any other habitat that I have seen. The discus live in what is best described as a stream. The sides are about 6 ft deep at peak dry season. The center is shallow at about 1 foot. At this time of year you could swim against the current. The flood zone into the main river is a large lake several miles long, here the water is slower moving and there are no discus in the dry season.

Whenever someone talks about a discus biotope, driftwood is usually the first thing mentioned. Was there a lot of driftwood in that area?
Lots of wood. I have a picture here:
(http://www.belowwater.com/fish/brazil-2001/index.html)

What other types of fish have you seen living in close proximity to discus in that area?
The Rio Jatapu is the only habitat I have seen where discus are the dominant species in mass. They account for about 50% of the total number of fish.

Other fish here are:
Cichla spp. (Peacock Bass) 5%
Uaru amphicantoides & Heros spp (Severums) 10%
Crenicichla lenticulata, regani and others 10%
Characins - Leporinus , Prochilodus and Curimatiids 20%
Catfish - Ancistrus (Bristlenose Pleco), Doradids 5%
There are some electric eels but notably no stingrays or piranhas.
Tetras and Apistogramma and the like were not counted in my percentages

Did you see other animals and insects in proximity to discus in that area?
There are some snakes, a few frogs and lots of butterflies as anywhere in the Amazon. Mammals are rarely seen in South America. Notably there are no otters or dolphins here in the side arms.
The water is too soft for aquatic invertebrates like snails or shrimp – but there are lots of Tubifex type worms.

Did you see aquatic plants in proximity to the discus? Did you see floating plants in that discus area? We’ve all seen pictures of the floating Victoria Lily pads, are lily pads part of the discus environment? Are water reeds and other emergent plants in that discus area?
Here there are no water plants at all and I have never seen Victoriana in any discus habitat. There is hairgrass in the dry season along the edges of the Rio Jatapu.
The only plants I have seen in over 50 different habitats of discus is Nuphar spp (Lily pads) and Myriophyllum (Milfoil or Foxtail). I have never seen any Echinodorus (Swords) in discus habitats.

What did the water look like there?
The water parameters are pH 6, GH2, temp 29C at any depth, and the visibility is about 8 ft. The water is fast moving here.

Is algae commonly found in that area?
There is almost no algae. Considering the water parameters it would not be expected. A high flow rate also brushes away almost all detritus.

In that area, what does the stream bed look like? Is it sand, mud, silt and did you see any rocks? Is leaf litter commonly found in the area?
The stream bottom is a fine white sand. Behind larger downed trees there is some leaf litter and branches. There are NO rocks in this area.

There are books written on the inundation that takes place during the rainy season. But how does it affect the discus in that area?
Yes, the water level rises and the habitat gets very wide, the discus then have plenty of places to lay eggs and forage. The water movement also slows down.

All the pictures that I have seen of discus collecting seem to be on rivers, but I have heard that discus often occupy lakes (ox bows). Have you found discus in both areas and if so, are there differences other than water flow between the two?
They are extremes in terms of water flow. I have seen discus even among sharp edged rocks of the main rivers but in the Peruvian and western Brazilian Amazon the oxbow habitat is more typical. Most people travel only to the main river habitats and that is how it was assumed that all discus live in these conditions.

I really want to thank Oliver for taking the time to answer my questions, especially since he was in the middle of getting ready for his next trip. I also want to thank Al (brewmaster15) and John (DarkDiscus) for their help in making this possible.

jim_shedden
01-10-2003, 12:28 PM
excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

lkleung007
01-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Great interview Ralph!!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Wilds and to get it from an expert like Oliver is a real treat.

Thanks again;
Lester

Don_Lee
01-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks to Oliver for sharing, and Ralph for interviewing. Great stuff!

Don ;D

brewmaster15
01-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Ralph,

My thanks to you for an awesome job with the interview! I also would like to thank Oliver for giving the time to do the interview and sharing his wealth of Knowledge on the subject of wilds discus.

Thank you both!

-al

Francisco_Borrero
01-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Excellent guys!! Thanks.
Francisco.

yellow sub
01-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Ralph,

Wow, that was great. Finding sorces of first hand knowledge of discus habitat is few and far inbetween....

Stephen

Ryan
01-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Thank you for a wonderful interview, Ralph. I am glad Oliver could find the time to make it possible. I remember going fishing as a kid and being able to look down into the lake and see sunfish and bream, but I couldn't imagine being able to go to the Amazon and see tons of wild discus. That must be a thrilling experience.

It was also interesting to note that Uaru (another fish I own) shares this habitat.

Ryan

darcy
01-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Awesome interview!!!! Thanks Ralph and Oliver!!!
darcy

Jeff
01-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks Ralph and Oliver. The jatapu have been a favorite of mine for some time. They are large beautiful fish. I think I will need to set up a tank for them this next year. :)

Ralph
01-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks everybody.

The Jatapu Blue is an amazing fish, just as striking as most domestic strains (and probably the parent of quite a few of them).

How about that list of fish that share the area with the discus? Ryan, do you know where I can buy a three foot long Peacock Bass for my discus tank?

Rod
01-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Very interesting interveiw :) Thanks to Oliver and the simply team 8)

Rod

01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Wow!!! This is really cool!! Great interview!

Weezy ;D

01-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Well Done

Thank You! ;D

01-11-2003, 01:27 AM
Oliver and the Simply Team

Thanks!!!

Miles

01-11-2003, 01:46 PM
You Guys + gals Know the part I like Most?

THE WORMS hee.hee.hee

aloha_discus
01-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Aloha, Awesome interview. WHERE can I get some to add to my wild collection. Just picked up two heckels wednesday beautiful fish. Jatapu I hope is next. ;D

roclement
01-11-2003, 07:07 PM
great job guys! thanks for sharing the info!

Rodrigo

Ekar_Ogrit
01-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Ahhh.....

Another great interview!

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Great Job thank you
Dennis

01-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Oliver... Thanks some much for taking time out for us Simply fanatics.. I look forward to the next interview.

and big thanks to you Ralph for a great interview!....

Julz :)

paulmat
01-12-2003, 04:46 AM
EXCELLENT :thumbsup:

Paul :guitarist:

EthanCote.com
01-13-2003, 03:46 PM
A great read indeed. Great job Ralph.

Cheers,

Chi.

gump
01-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Fantastic!!!
Great job Ralph.
Thank you Oliver.
Pierre

chicki
01-16-2003, 10:51 PM
A very interesting interview! Since I'm new and dumb to discus...here is the question? If the flow is so strong in their natural enviroment, then why do I always see and read about virtually no flow tanks??
thanks

Ralph
01-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Hi Chicki and welcome,
Good question. I think that it may be one of the discus commandments that got started early on and has taken a life of it own. There was a similar question on another thread a long time ago and almost all the responders said that their discus seem to like to play in the filter/powerhead outflow.
I thought that it was also interesting that the flow rate changes significantly during the inundation from the rainy season.
Best thing you can do is offer them a choice, half to 2/3s of my tank is calm and about 1/3 has flow from a box filter. They spend most of the day in the flow and night is mostly in the calm section.

amirnezhad
03-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys for sharing this information :)
I realy learned many things from this interview :)

Ralph
03-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Ali.