PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Disaster

jmf227
01-10-2003, 07:37 PM
:'( Hey Everyone,

I have my flatmate look after my Tank while I was away on holiday for a month. I now know what a mistake that was.

I returned this morning to find that My 2 Pictus Catfish had died and all apart from one of my 7 discus have turned black, thier slime coat looks as if it has peeled away and is quite patchy. Their eyes have gone cloudy and one of them has a large white spot on it. Around the tips of their fins there is a little white stuff, im not really sure what it is.

My tank is a 90 G planted setup with 7 Discus and a few neon Tetras (minus my Pictus)

I did water Paramater tests to find i had quite a high level of Ammonia, there were no traces of Nitrate or Nitrite and my Ph level was 6.4.

I did an approx 60% water change this morning.
Unfortunately i dont have a digital camera so I am unable to take a pic.

Any information on what i should treat my poor discus with would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Jared

Carol_Roberts
01-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Keep doing water changes until ammonia registers zero. Make sure water is close to the same temperature and pH.

Why do you think the ammonia rose - dead fish, overfeeding, dead filter?

Do you have a seperate bare bottom tank wher you could add a cycled filter and salt?
Carol :heart1:

jmf227
01-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Hey Carol,

thanks so much for the prompt response, unfortuanetly I dont have another tank I can use at the moment.

I would say the reason that the Ammonia rose is because, Over feeding, a dead fish and lack of water changes.

I know who I will not get to look after my fish next time.

Thanks again for the prompt response your a star!!!!

should I raise temp or add salt??????

cheers

Jared

Carol_Roberts
01-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Salt and high temps will kill your plants. If the discus do not show improvement from water changes alone then you may have to raise temp and add salt or other meds. Remember to test the ammonia level at least 3 times a day right now and keep changing water to bring down to zero.
Carol :heart1:

lion
01-13-2003, 04:40 AM
Hi jmf

add salt and a airstone. Keep w/c up. Add salt with every w/c. If u worried about your plants, take them out.