PDA

View Full Version : The things we eat.

nalah
01-10-2003, 09:23 PM
I was just reading a thread about feeding discus ...
heart,liver etc.Then Cary mentioned he likes it with onions...Julz throws it in a pot with beacon.....
IMO - http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/puke.gif

Which got me thinking..... what other weird stuff do people
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/food.gif

In France,they eat horse,snails and frog legs. tried all 3 but i prefer to ride my horse,not eat it. as for snails - they resemble car tyres flavoured with garlic. Frog legs are nice,i do admit. But should you decide to try them BEWARE. they should be small...not much meat at all. if you are served legs the size as chicken drumsticks,you are not eating frogs...

there's something else that i've eaten,but i will reveal it after some of you have told us of your culinary experiences.....LOL.

jeep
01-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Fresh caught abalone. Yummm!!!

Steve_Warner
01-11-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi all,
I'm with Jeep on that one........abalone right outta the ocean, slapped on a 'que. MMmmmmmmm also, Moray Eel is also good as a sushi, right outta the ocean!

Steve

01-11-2003, 03:17 AM
Well I will step up....

I love Raw Oysters with cocktail sauce...... ;)

Yum Yum.....

:)

nalah
01-11-2003, 04:38 AM
oysters.................http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/pukeface.gif sorry Julz. but i can't even look at someone eating those.
they are on my hate list along with brains.

April
01-11-2003, 04:41 AM
yeah i agree pascale ., yuk Julz!! oyster breath. keep it to yourself on chat!! LOL.
ok..i like ordinary food. no sauces not many spices...and not alot of mixing going on. lol
you can have your frog legs also pascale. :-X

Ryan
01-11-2003, 05:13 AM
I had pizza for dinner tonight. I went out on a limb and got sausage on it along with my pepperoni. That's as risky as it gets for me, I'm afraid.

My grandpa eats beef tripe (stomach lining) :puke:

Ryan

nalah
01-11-2003, 05:51 AM
Ryan. LOL. know how you feel.my mum eats that stuff too.
double :puke:

jeep
01-11-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm with pascale and April. My girlfriend made me eat an oyster one time and it almost ended up on her lap :P :P

I caught a grouper one time while diving in the Bahamas. Seasoned and on the grill, it was the best fish I've ever had...

aloha_discus
01-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Aloha All, where do I start, lets see Octopus caught myself, squid caught myself, parrot fish you get it caught myself, all of these taste great so far. I also tried sea cucumber, moray coconut crab or robber crab, these too were great. I now live in Nebraska and dont get these very often. Thats all for now I know I have more that I have tried but dont want to make anyone sick. ;D ;D ;D

Aloha Ike

nalah
01-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Aloha.. it all sounds good. except the sea cucumber. YUK! have you seen those things insides....http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/3/fie.gif

April
01-11-2003, 08:24 PM
ok im going out for dinner in a sec..and im gonna be grossed out. im getting out of this thread.
Ryan..you can come visit here anytime.think yours and my menus might click. lol. but i swear everytime i talk to you your eating pizza!!

aloha_discus
01-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Aloha All, I just remembered a few more. Lets see blk. worms might be great for the discus but not for human consumption, tastes like tin. Lived in Guam and tried tripe(stomach lining of the pig), fruit bat just close your eyes and they wont look back. Caught a hammerhead shark that tasted great lots of shark steak. How about beetle nut, thats better left to those who enjoy bitter gritty things, and more to come.

Aloha All, Ike ;D

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 12:29 AM
OOOOO! my favourite topic! Foood!!!

Pascale, i have to take you Yum Cha sometime and try beef tripe, chicken feet and shark fin soup! mmm

I love oysters with just a touch of lemon! we used to drive 5 hours to Bateman's Bay and pay $10 for 40 unshucked oysters, some fresh lemon and shuck all of them ourselves! the best!

I love Kangaroo, i like the gamey taste. Emu is ok, I've tried salt water crocodile: very mushy. Rabit tastes like chicken! Frog legs tastes like chicken!

Seafood is my real pashion! prawns, crab abalone, lobster mmm the best is smoked salmon *drool. I love this rare dish that they surve at chinese banquets, it's dried jellyfish. Looks like noodles but it aint noodles!

I love sushi! I love all sorts of sashimi. My favourite is raw calamari (squid) sushi and sashimi. I like the salmon caviar sushi, the eel sushi, and seaweed sushi mmmm wasabi....

There are things that I prefer not to eat, I can't for the life of me, bring myself to eat snails (I have step on snail phobia, BIG SHIVER ). I don't like the thought of Lobster sashimi either...i may try it someday though. I really don't like Durian (the king of fruit, it smells!!!).

I will eat anything that contains curry! I love indian food! mmm

I love tomatoes, I can eat tomatoes like an apple. I used to just pic up a tomato from Mum's fridge and consume the lot. I love Asian veggies, bok choi and gay lan with oyster sauce *drool*.

I have a pashion for Thai and Laotian food. It's my absolute favourite. Paw paw salad, anything with sprawn paste, baby bamboo shoot soup, glutenous rice *GOD I LOVE IT*

I am the sort of guy that will try anything once! Food is the spice of life baby!!!

Sorry i told you it's my favourite topic!
Chong

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Did I mention that I love a good T bone steak and a BBQ? mmm i love potato gratin, beef stroganof. I esp live corn on the cob, I make the meanest ceasar salad (suace from scratch! once sold my recipe for caesar salad sauce for charity!).

I have a bad reputation with KFC (teehee!) and I love mxican, spanish, lebanese, greek food (mmm goats milk fetta...).

The wierdest thing I have ever eaten is a "whole" duck eggs. Ready for this??? The egg is steamed with a baby duck still inside the egg. Crack the shell, scoop it with a spoon. It was... interesting...

I love greek coffee, keeps you up for hours! I love coffee soo much I baught an expresso machine and a coffee bean grinder.

Pascale I have to take you down the road to Enfield, by far one of the best Peking duck places in Sydney!

When we were in the scouts as a kid, we were taught to catch yabbies, Murray river crayfish, and even locusts (tastes like peanuts). We learnt about bush nuts and all sorts of cool things.

Deserts... where do I start! YUM! Pavlova, cream brulet, rice pudding, profiterols, black forest cake, white chocolate mud cake with ice cream and cream, Jelly, Baked New York Cheesacake *drool*, chocolate mousse, apple pie and ice cream with hot chocolate and 2 marshmellows ooo I am getting hungry!!!

So much food, so little meals in which to eat them!!!!
Chong

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Hammerhead shark and beatle nut, hmmm addign those to my list of must tries... I once cuaght a sting ray off Sydney Harbour and we cooked that up, similar?

Oh I forgot to tell you gusy that I love vegetarian foods too! like Tofu and mushrooms. I am the guy that finishes off the salad at parties, the one that eats all the anchovies in the ceasar salad, all the fetta from the creek salad, and all the onions from the garden salad! I'm the one that is easiest to please at any party hehe

Chong

01-15-2003, 01:12 AM
Onions and Anchovies from the Salad, Chong? And baby ducks? (they call that "baloot" right?)

You didn't do that at your reception, did you? 8)

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 01:25 AM
Nooo I hardly ate at my wedding, although there was a 12 course banquet including abalone, shark fin soup and lot of seafood.

We ate sushi at the hotal before the reception jus tin case we got hungry lol

Julz baby I am a bigtime food connosoir! (sp?)

Chong

jeep
01-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Chong, you would be hard to not please. You love almost everything on this planet!

If you ever make it to the states, you must stop by Kansas City. I have the absolute best home made BBQ in the world!!! I've won every competition I've entered and I don't even know how to operate my smoker!

I love BBQ!!!

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 01:41 AM
Jeep you are on! I will drop by Kansas baby! BBQ is my favourite past time too! nothing beats a good steak, a few chops, some chicken wings, a couple of prawns on skewers and a never ending cold beer!!! *drool*

Sounds fab! You'll have to give me some pointers so I can knock the socks off my guests at my next bbq (which by the way is this Saturday lol)

If you are ever over here, well, well well! we are a very multicultural society and the best of the world is here! (I kid you not!)

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 01:50 AM
this is too much! I am getting very hungry! drooling over the thought of hot dim sims, cajun spare ribs with ranch potato wedges and sour cream, lamb kabab with chilli suace, tabuli and homas! the 3 litre coca cola, jumbo size that you get at 7/11 in summer, chilli dogs at the Royal Easter Show...

Life is just too full of great tastes and wonders!!! *argghhh*

Sorry, Like I said, my favourite topic!!!
Chong!

01-15-2003, 01:52 AM
(Julz heads to the fridge) :P

OK enough of the food talk at this hour. Makin me hungry!. Not a good time to eat for that girlish figure ya know!...... 8)

nalah
01-15-2003, 01:55 AM
sydney? multi-cultural?.............. you're not wrong.
where i live,its arabic..where chong lives,its asian. teejays area is more upper-class,european..
each suburb has its specialty shops,so its really easy to try foods from around the world.

but back to weird stuff... in vietnam,a traditional dish is pigs blood.
only the men are permitted to prepare this. the animals throat is slashed... the blood in poured into large vats and beaten. some herbs are added,also internal organs are added,finely chopped. put in fridge. then eaten.

it was THE worst experience - especially for a pregnant woman..LOL.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/greenpuke.gif
it looks like strawberry jelly but once in the mouth,it liquifies and you get the full taste of the blood...http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/n/puke.gif

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 01:56 AM
LOL!

Least you're at home with a fridge! I'm stuck at work still and all I've eaten all day was fried rice (mmm), a bannana and apple juice from a tetrapak poper...
:(

Hey julz, you like taquila? lemon and salt? that's my favourite too! it's like the lemon and salt highway to drunkville! I went crazy on my bucks night. I can't remember how much i drank! hehe

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/drunkard.gif

Chong

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 01:59 AM
Pascale!

Oh blood Jelly, yeah yeah, pfft we used to eat that all the time with rice poridge. pfft tame. It's a SE asian delicacy! Jenny won't touch it with a 10 ft pole though hehehe

But i see what you mean by it sounding bad... we get it from Flemington asian shops in a take away container. Much more tame version!

Chong

midnight1
01-21-2003, 06:40 PM
well by me you can get almost anything pickled

northern pike
pigs feet
mushrooms
brussel sprouts
cauliflower

paul

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Pickled mushrooms, brussel sprouts, cauliflower sounds nice! we have something simmilar in Malaysian food.

Not sure what northern pike is but pigs feet sounds tame enough... ;D

Chong

01-22-2003, 04:01 AM
I happen to love pickled eggs!. Prepared with beet juice, vinegar, and brown sugar of course. Yum Yum.... :)

Chong... Tequilla? Lemon? Salt? hmmm I happen to like the Chevy Chase method (Caddy Shack) Throw the lemon over the shoulder, snort the salt, and down the shot. Or was it....? Throw the shot, snort the salt, and suck the lemon? Hmmmm either way, straight up for this gal. :P

Lemons are great for freshening the garbage disposal, and lemonade (of course...)

Tequilla is great for the occasional mood swings....

And Salt? Well it is Great on pickled eggs....

8)

limige
01-22-2003, 09:16 AM
wow, i guess these are about as risky as i get

venison
elk
squirrel
rabbit

i like some hot things, ted nugent's flamethrower beef jerky is awesome!

other than that i'm pretty plain, always been a picky eater

nalah
01-23-2003, 12:12 AM
watched a doco on national geographics last week.
in a part of africa - they hold ceremony for the young boys (castration)they pick a dog in the village to sacrifice to the gods. the dog is someones pet.they bash him to death,slice his throat,then cook it and eat it. :'(

also saw a story on this bloke in the US that has a lolly shop. he puts grubs in the lolipops..... yuk! and also put these worms in the choclate bars.....

April
01-23-2003, 02:19 AM
ok....i think i will stick to my tomatoes on toast....the basic meal...that is good for brekky ...lunch...or dinner!!! saves on food bills. ;D ::)

DenverDan
01-28-2003, 12:40 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen

From the great state of Colorado I will send to you if you are brave enough, a plate of our world famous Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Anybody willing to take the bull by the horns er maybe the other end? anybody? Julz?

DenverDan

jeep
01-28-2003, 12:44 AM
had those once. not bad until i had a vein snap back at me... :puke:

BlueTurquoise
01-28-2003, 12:46 AM
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Foto3/Rockymtn2.JPG

I stand by my word: I will try anything once!!!

Chong :thumbsup:

BlueTurquoise
01-28-2003, 12:47 AM
mmmm

http://www.beavercleaver.net/Bagobalz.jpg

LOL

Anna Piranha
02-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Chong! You are a mad man! And a skinny one at that!! If I ate what you ate, I would be as wide as I am tall (5' 1 1/4"). I saw your picture in another thread and so I am shocked and amazed that someone who looks as fit as you do could have such a love affair with food :o You GO boy!

As for me, I had been working up the nerve to try sushi. Even when I was in Japan I would not eat it. Back here in Pennsylvania, my friends keep trying to convince me. And then...there was the incident with the tapeworms in my Discus. The was it - no sushi for me ever. I know too much about what fish carry around with them. :puke:

Anyway, I am on Weight Watchers now, so I try not to think too much about food. :waaa:

BlueTurquoise
02-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Anna,

hehe I am starting to feel the pinch now that I am married! In my youth, 1 whole pizza was a common thing. Now as my Metabolism slows down abit I am starting to get this stuff developing around my stomach area! LOL I used to be 28cm waiste believe it or not! I am not 34cm! all within the few years that I met Jenny... hmmm... I can't blame it on the beer either... how can any man honestly blame beer... hehe

Yes Sushi! you must try sushi! don't worry about the tape worms! that's only in their stomache tract, unless you are eating raw fish inards then you don't have to worry! besides the parasites that infect salt water fish like salmon and tuna are not compatible with human hosts apparently so you go for it girl! Esp if you are consious about your weight, sushi is one of the skinniset foods you can eat! Make sure the resturant is respectible and the fish is fresh then no probs bob!

Dun worry Anna, even I have to go slow these days! I can't fit into my $600 suit that I baught only 18 months ago! :(

Cheers!
Chong :thumbsup:

jeep
02-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Tonights dinner:

Chicken gizzards breaded in flour and garlic, deep fried in Mongolian Fire Oil...

02-26-2003, 08:57 PM
But jeep?
No beer? Whats up with that? I love chicken hearts... The meat is very lean......

:)

BlueTurquoise
02-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah, no beer no heart!

Chong ;D

jeep
02-26-2003, 10:12 PM
I forgot, the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Nectar of the Gods!!! :thumbsup:

thebaglady
03-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Weird is good. Spices are good, clears the sinuses you know. My girls were eating Franks hot sauce by age four without flinching. Both sets of Grandparents were mortified.

LOVE oysters and even escargo (for everyone who has snail phobia)

Can't imagine emu, have had alligator...yep, a lot like chicken. But my absolute favorite food is Cheese Gouda, Provalone, Havarti etc..etc... Even when I was in college, I ate Government cheese!

My cholestrol is high now, but I'll die happy. ;D