PDA

View Full Version : what is the best condition for breeding discus

flyclassic22
01-12-2003, 02:42 AM
hi,
anyone can give me a rough idea what is the best temperature, water, food etc... specs and condition to rare discus? begineer here really interested to find out.

ReeferKimberly
01-12-2003, 07:41 AM
ok there is some varience allowed with these:

temp- 84-86
for breeding- 82-84

tank size- i go for one adult to every ten gallons, some go with seven, its up to u
for juvies i would say maybe 3 gallons per fish

breeding tank- i go with 20 gallons per pair, 30 if i have the room. and growout tanks i use 55s.

hardness- mine is 33 mpl or ppm which i guess is pretty soft. i don't go in depth like many members of this forum and barely understand gh, kh and all the rest of that fun confusing stuff.

ph- many like to adjust adjust adjust their ph but IMO a ph of 6.8- all the way up to 7.6 works for me
for breeding u may want it lower for the eggs and fry to survive- i use peat in mine and it brings it down to 6.6-6.8 which also works for me

foods- the more live the better IMO. i use brine shrimp and CBW california black worms. sometimes tubifex ( don't use those just b/c i do, many people feel very strongly agaist them for parasite reasons)
frozen is also good- a beefheart mixture whic u can find in the food section is good, frozen hikari bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp i have also had good experiences with
freez dried or flake- for flake i use nutramax color enhancement and hikari freezebried krill and bloodworms, my discus will eat dry but generally prefer live or frozen

ok i'm sure i missed some stuff and others can tell u the rest. that was the general break down. welcome to the forum and good luck with your new obsession!
~kim~