PDA

View Full Version : Pidgeon Bloods (and others)

jeep
01-12-2003, 11:54 PM
I don't know that much about the different strains, but one question is, other than peppering, what separates a Pidgoen Blood from other strains?

Carol_Roberts
01-13-2003, 12:05 AM
No mood bars. A true pigeon is supposed to be barless like a blue diamond. PB crosses can look like pigeons, but may show traces of bars or peppering where the bars would have been.

Generally PB come is shades of yellow, orange and red with any amount of white or bluish white. The fins may be black, but the newer pigeons have very little black.

Carol :heart1:

01-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Real Fish have BARS!!

Miles ;D

jeep
01-13-2003, 09:40 AM
I don't like peppering, but I also see some discus with a thicker stiariations that are PB's. I guess what I'm trying to say is I can usually identify a PB based on what I've seen in others but I don't kow the basics..

Next question, What's the difference between a Blue Diamond and a Cobalt and a Coerulea?

Shades of blue maybe?

Anna Piranha
01-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Does peppering ever go away?

01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Peppering will stay, You can lessen it by changing the water papemters, background color or bight light. Sometimes they're gone completely during spawning. They will be most prominant when stressed.
Jimmy.

01-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Jeep, Blue Diamonds are devoid of any pattern or striation. Blue cobalt may have striations and patterns in varying degrees. Same with the Cerrulean. Jack's Cerrulean( a name he coined ) is a sky blue hence the name such as cerrulean sky. many of the cobalts are slightly darker than a BD--but this is not a prerequisite. Blue Diamonds will throw some fry with a minimal amount of patterning. The Asians call these Full Color. In competition they would be in the Solid Turquoise class, but a nice Blue Diamond would certainly win in the Solid Turquoise class. HTH, Joe ;)

jeep
01-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks Joe. Excellent description!

Ryan
01-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Joe,

What about bars on blue diamonds vs. cobalts? Are cobalts a barless fish like blue diamonds?

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
01-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Cobalts have bars.
Carol :heart1:

jeep
01-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I don't know whether to start a new link or not but I don't want to take up a lot of space. I'm just bringing up the fish I'm considering next.

What's the difference between the Wayne's Violet Reflection and Cary's Blue Ghost? They look almost identical...

Or the Blue Diamond vs. the Angel Blue Diamond. From what I've read the ABD is basically an enhanced version of the BD???

Is the Super Blue Diamond an even more (and larger) improved version of the ABD?

Thanks,

Brian

03-27-2004, 10:25 PM
A rose by any other name.............

mattrox
03-28-2004, 05:34 AM
....... didn't know Discus smelt sweet? :P

03-28-2004, 08:46 AM
breeders getting carried away

Willie
03-28-2004, 01:48 PM
While many fish names may contain elements of hype, it would be erroneous to dismiss all of them as phony. Key to Blue Diamonds is the lack of any striation on the face. Many Blue Diamonds will have a full or partial vertical bar on the tail. Improvements to Blue Diamonds include:

1. Removal of last bar
2. Breeding for smaller scales to give matte appearance
3. Increasing the dosage of the ghost gene to produce a pastel shading
4. Increasing the frequency of red eyes in adults

Willie

Haywire
03-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Next question, What's the difference between a Blue Diamond and a Cobalt and a Coerulea?

From what I've gathered readong other posts, and from some personal IM's Cobalts were developed from blue turq's, hence the yellow tails on a traditional coblat (mt personal favourite and 1st discus). Apparently crossing two turq's with highly developed patterns yeilded a patternless body.

jeep
03-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Wow, it's over a year later. Someone was digging deep ;D

I've learned a lot more about these strains since then, but thanks Willie and Haywire for some great descriptions!