PDA

View Full Version : Filteration

engineguy129
01-13-2003, 12:23 AM
I just though this would be good info for anyone new. Hope this works out.

Rob ;D

01-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Good deal Hydro + aquaclear

Carol_Roberts
01-13-2003, 12:43 AM
My favorite is the Aqua Clear filter. It comes with one internal sponge and I always add another plus I put a sponge on the water intake to trap debris before it enters the filter.

You don't want food or feces in your filters. You want to trap them on the intake sponge and rinse it under the tap daily or siphon them from the bottoom of the tank.

The filter is to convert disolved wastes such as ammonia into less harmful chemicals that can be removed with the daily water changes.

CArol :heart1:

BlueTurquoise
01-13-2003, 01:07 AM
And they last many many years! my AQ is 12 years old now and still going like new!

Chong

01-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Hydro's and AquaClear 500

WORK GREAT!!
Along with 50-75% daily w/c's.

Miles ;D

Smokey
01-13-2003, 04:17 AM
To expound on Carols description:
All my filters are outside the main tank. There are three (3) seperate filters. Each is designed for a specific purpose. Mechanical ( actually 2 ); anarobic ; arobic .

Smokey
keep the water clean

dm
01-13-2003, 07:29 AM
I use the aquaclear also. It is quiet, efficient and dependable.

01-13-2003, 09:26 AM
I have (at least) one of all listed. My only regret is the $$ I spent on the canisters. Not worth a single cent IMO.

I love the Emperor because of the extra basket. But is a nuisance to clean compared to my AC. Too many parts..

Sponges.... I have both the Hydro and Azoo. I prefer the Azoo because it doesn't sit on the bottom, there for no debris will get trapped. But then the Azoo has more parts to clean as well.

I voted the AC because if I could only have one type, that would be it.

Julz :)

01-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Any cannister or hang on filter will work. I prefer Aqu. Clear for easy of maintenance + Hydro sponge. They're extremely durable. Once is all you have to do to buy.
Jimmy.

engineguy129
01-13-2003, 09:47 AM
I am using a hydro sponge and an aqua clear on my grow out tank. On my main tank in the works I have a eheim 2229 wet/dry and a AC500. Though I must admit I stole Carols idea and slapped a sponge pre filter on my AC's. I have heard that one must be weary of o-cello sponges they have a habit of killing fish.

peace 8)
Rob

lkleung007
01-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi Gang!!

Nice thread Rob ;)

I also use an AC500 with three Hydrosponges for my 75 gallon. I have used a canister filter for my smaller 47 gallon bow front tank and it worked really well for bacterial filtration but a pain to clean!!

Regards, Lester

Jeff
01-13-2003, 12:11 PM
I use sponge filters and a few top filters as well. :)

brewmaster15
01-13-2003, 12:14 PM
hydros and aquaclears !!!! though I do have a few whispers and magnum 350s kicking around. ;)

-al

mench
01-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Aqua Clear 500 with pre filters and Orca sponge filter.I also have some Mag.250 and hot Mag and an Emp. 400 kicking around in the wings in case I need another filter.All my breeder tanks have the Orca internal sponge filters,the larger ones.

Mench

Ryan
01-13-2003, 05:30 PM
I use AquaClears in my tanks in combination with Hydro sponges. I have two Hydro IVs in my 55 gallons in addition to one AC500 unit. I do not use the charcoal/carbon that comes with the AC -- instead, like Carol, I buy a second AC sponge and keep two of them in the back of the unit.

The same people who make Hydro sponges also make a prefilter that easily fits onto the uptake of the AC, and I use those too so that my AC doesn't get clogged up with large chunks of food and debris.

Ryan

jeep
01-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Emperor and several hydro sponges

gary1218
01-14-2003, 08:09 AM
I LOVE my trickle filters.

Other than that I like air driven sponge filters in breeding tanks and Aquaclears on other tanks. With the sponge filters I like using the parts from the hydro filters except the sponge part. I use an Aquaclear 500 sponge and cut it to fit the hydro filter.

GARY

Marksor
01-14-2003, 08:53 PM
What size of AquaClear filter do you suggest for a 29 Gal Quarantine/Breeding tank? Would you go with the 300 or 500? For this size of tank, is the Hydro-Sponge Filter in addition to the AquaClear really necessary, i.e. is it overkill? Thanks

engineguy129
01-15-2003, 12:26 AM
If I am incorrect here please set it straight.
Marksor,
You would probley be ok with a hydro sponge set up, say a type 3 er so, with that and your water changes you should be ok.

Rob ;D

Cormorant
01-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Marksor,
For 29 gal AC200 or 300 plus a single hydro sponge will be plenty enough. AC500 maybe an overkill because of the strong, wide current.

chicki
01-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Doesn't anyone use a drilled tank with a trickle filter for discus??

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 02:01 AM
Marksor,
Cormorant is correct AC 500 has too much current for a 29. You can run a 300 alone with several juvenile discus or even just a sponge filter with a breeding pair. AC 200 is perfect for a 20 gallon.
Carol :heart1:

I think the drilled tanks and trickle filters are more expensive, so not used as often.
Carol :heart1:

Smokey
01-17-2003, 02:20 AM
Chicki; yes, I have been drilling tanks and exclusively using a wet/dry - flow through system for over 8 years.
I would not use any other kind. Extremely efficient and extremely clean water.
Why do you ask???

chicki
01-17-2003, 11:55 AM
because right now I have two marine tanks (7' and 6') I also have a 159 gallone that has the overflow and a wet/dry filter. Right now I am using it for a quarantine tank. Everything that i put in my reef tanks goes first in there for 5 weeks. When I'm finished filling the reef tanks I want to use it for a freshwater tank? It's powered by a mag 18 pump, but I can control the flow. I was seriously considering discus, but cannot imagine changing 50 gallons of water out everyday!
I was just wondering about the filter systems, cuz it does seem like most people use canisters? couldn't figure out why...they just seem like sooo much work compared to these?

Smokey
01-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Chicki:
Yoooo are so right !!!!
Canister Filters do require more effort to clean.
However, in defense, canaster filters are popular amoung hobbiests. In my early days I was convienced they were the perfect filter,( obviously by sale-persons); for a neat clean look, canisters can be placed out of sight. And they are an OFF-THE-SHELF-INSTAL-NOW-UNIT.
O.K. - Now for the subject at hand. WET / DRY filteration...
IMO... the most effective, cost efficient, ease of use, filter possible !!

Your next querry ???? - amount of water exchanged. Remember, home aquariums are a closed loop system. SIMILAR TO A STILL POND! Or as I refer to it.. a swamp in the making. If this is what you may want, there are aquatic spieces that tolerate the conditions, NOT DISCUS !!!!
So, unless you, as so many others have deceided, committed to a regiment of daily water changes, diet, environment disipline, ; well - you do the math.
P.S. marine animals are not discus, totally different enviormetal conditions. Different knowledge. Discus are totally interactive, continusily !
So, perhaps, you will have to make a personal decision.

Oscars are nice !!!! lol.

Please reply with your thoughts.

best of intensions

Smokey

engineguy129
01-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Cool!
Thank you for everyones input. I think that anyone starting their reseach on keeping discus should be able to decide what avenue to take when purchasing filteration from this thread. Thank you again.

Happy keeping!
Rob

Richman
01-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Wet/dry is the king of filters.

On tanks without it I prefer a mixture of Emperor 400 with internal Hydro sponges. In addition to the normal cartridge for the Emperor , you can also stack a sponge in the back and I have Cell Pore cartridges in front. The bio wheel gives you additional oxygen mixture that some other HOB filters don't have. It can be loaded with bio filtration. As with the AC, the additional sponge or floss material can be used to instantly cycle another tank. (did it last week). HTH