PDA

View Full Version : Wilds VS Domestics what should you go with?

brewmaster15
01-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi all,
As someone new to discus, you may wonder which you should try first... Keeping Domestics or keeping wilds.

This thread would be a great place to talk about the pros and cons of each , and hopefully help you come an informed decision.

Here's a wild green , one of a few I have that are paired with Domestics and spawning. This fish is my favorite wild, It has nice shape, the eyes are it only downside...they would be better if they were red, though on this yellow/orange based fish, honey brown eyes look pretty good. This fish was a LFS purchased fish. I had them bring it in, and I took it while it was still in the Bag.

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/C6/AB/8314310-2554-02000183-.jpg

maybe everyone here can post their experiences and sources for wilds. They have a reputation for being harder to maintain, ARE THEY THOUGH?

-al

01-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Very Nice Brew...

Here is a pic of my wild female. I purchased her and her sibling (?) at an lfs. She has spawned for me 3 times since purchase last May and I now am raising a batch of 90 some fry. She was somewhat of a deadbeat mom at first but proved me wrong shortly before I pulled them. Her sibling (?) has not paired up with anybody yet. :(

roger
01-14-2003, 03:08 PM
I started out with domestic fish and picked up some wilds this last weekend.

The biggest con with wilds is getting your water setup properly.
pH 5ish gH and kH of almost nothing. What that means is investing in a RO unit and either patience with using peat to bring down pH or a strong heart to use muriatic acid.

That big con is a pro with domestics, you can probably get away with just aging your tapwater for 24 hours since the fish seem to do so well with varied water conditions. Mine are doing great in pH 8.5 gH 14 kH 4.

A smaller problem with wilds is getting them to eat, but once they have gotten used to frozen food vs live they are just about the same as domestics.

This is of course just my opinion.

Peace,
Roger

01-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Here is a pic of the Sibling. This one has the honey brown eyes Brew spoke of... He (?) is quite a bit more shy than the domestics in the same tank.

Don_Lee
01-14-2003, 03:11 PM
Very nice fish Al and Julz!! I like those wilds more every time I see a pic of them....

Don ;D

brewmaster15
01-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi Roger,
I have kept the wilds in the same water parameters as my domestics, and co mingled/bred them with my domestics. My pH is 6.6-6.8 for the breeders(ro/tap mix=100 to 150us), and anything in a group tank is kept in tap water at a pH of 7.5-7.8(us=375-400)

I think there are benefits to acidic water, and truthfully this is what they evolved in , but many here have come to the realization that Discus can do well in a wide range of pH's...but most importantly is probably to get them used to a stable pH.

Wilds are truly beautiful fish, but my opinion is that are not much different than the domestics in their needs, and can adapt well. I think the key with wilds is to start with healthy Stock-- again similar to domestics!!

hth,
Al

01-14-2003, 03:57 PM
I agree with what Al said...I've got a wild male santarem who is breeding right now(I alter the water only for the actual spawning) and I just purchased 3 young wild greens that will be in quarantine for some time to come...all will be kept in regular tap parameters...

mikebutch
01-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Howdy! :wave:

I am new to the forum...been doing a lot of research over the past two months and have a lot of help from great people. I am so far sold on starting my tank with Wilds...any thoughts pro or con on wilds vs. domestics or vice versa?

Thanks...

Mike :fish: :guitarist:

roger
01-14-2003, 05:43 PM
The wilds are a good choice, the only hard part that I can think of is finding someone with good stock.

If your looking to breed them they may be a bit more of a challenge than domestic. They also might be a bit more finicky about their water conditions that domestic but nothing that cant be overcome if needed.

There are several people that carry nice wild fish that you can order from. Unless of course your lucky enough to live close to them to hand pick your fish.

Me I have mostly domestic fish though I did just pick up 11 wilds to go into a 120 gal tank.

Peace,
Roger