PDA

View Full Version : lowering temp?

Vince
01-14-2003, 04:25 PM
I've read on simply that lowering the temp and large
w/c can get a pair to start breeding.
How many degrees would you lower the temp?
Also to all you lucky ones out there who have bred discus,
at what height do you have your breeding tanks?
I have two 30 gal. that are a foot off the ground and
when I put my " breeding pair " in, they seem alittle
shy and stay near the back of the tank. I've since put
a sheild in front of the tank and the other three sides
have been painted. They now are back to norm as if they
were in their original 72 gal. at four feet off the ground.
Will keep you informed of their progress.

01-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Vince, yes useing colder water is one of many tricks you can use to enduce breeding on confirmed pairs.
I keep my tanks with my breeders at least 3+ feet off the ground and once my new stands are finished my pairs will be about 5 feet off the ground to the bottom of the tanks.

Randy

EthanCote.com
01-14-2003, 06:49 PM
hey Vince, congrats are in order I hope.

I have heard that by lowering your tank temp to about 2 or 3 degree will get your Discus in the mood. I have also heard that by raising your temp. a few degrees follow by lowering it will help to induce spawing.

But try not to get your temp below 82F.

I wish u all the luck.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: If I understand correctly, the reason reducing temp. works on Discus is that in the wild, Discus will normally breed around rainy season (ie. more abundance of food) and the rain will normally lower the temp by a few degrees.

Vince
01-15-2003, 02:41 AM
Thanks for your replies, I sure hope these two get it on.
Just had one more inquery, why oh why are breeding
tanks that high off the ground? There must be some
success with breeding tanks at ground level.
???

hunterbeav
01-15-2003, 03:04 AM
When I want to get my pair spawing I drop the temp from 84 to 78. then I let the heater bring it back up to 81 or 82 for spawing :) Works for me. Good luck to you

April
01-15-2003, 03:37 AM
hi Vince. ;D
after you get eggs....add some maroxy...or...you will get lots of nice white fungused eggsin vancouver!!!
works great!!
i drop mine 2 degrees while doing a wc and i do 90 percent . and if their ready to spawn...sometimes i do tow 90s in a day .then bang eggs.
right out of the tap.
mine are higher up tanks. but i have two 33 s on regular height stands and their fine. breeders do do better higher up.
what strain are you trying to breed?

01-15-2003, 09:14 AM
It has less disturbance 4 ft. above the ground. It all depends on how you train your pair. It's fine for a proven breeding pair. They can spawn anywhere if they're very compatible to each others. Even in your kitchen sink so to speak. Sometimes I put a proven pair on the bottom rack . My cat will stay and watch them spawn and paw them if they challenge him in front of the tank. They still spawn successfully. But the young pair needs some privacy to learn how to do it properly.
Jimmy.

Vince
01-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Still nothing yet. I've changed about 80 percent of the water
and have dropped the temp about four degrees during the
w/c and just let the heater bring it back to 86f. April, I'll
try changing it a couple times in one day and see if anything
happens.
As for what I'm trying to breed......rose red x snake skin.
Well, it's not like I'm trying to breed this particular pair, I
just wanted to get one under my belt. They are really cozy together and have chased the others away. Maybe I should
have waited alittle longer and let them lay their eggs in the
72 gal. with the others before moving them into their own
30 gal. :P
I guess if nothing happens in a week, I'll move them back.

ciao for now.

Discusgeo
01-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Vince don't be moving them all around, you only will get them confused and they may take another few months to spawn if at all. Give them time to get settled into there new home and if your lucky they will spawn. It takes time for Discus to do there thing and when they are ready they will lay eggs. There not much you can do until the female Discus produces eggs and she is ready.

Smokey
01-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Yup, paeints has its own rewards.

One note reguarding tank height....Discus, as most fish, are always on the lookout for preditors; usually from above... ( birds,etc...) so if the tank is low, it is a natural flight or fight response; MPO.. Tanks at eye-level (ours ) tend to more relaxed.

Besides, how else do we know when the discus want to be """"FEEEED""""". Mine just stare me down !!!!! lol.. really
Can't refuse a pretty face, and those eyes'.

Smokey
( trained to feed discus, by discus)

Vince
01-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

Smokey, your answer on height was the most logical one
I've heard. It makes sense that birds of prey would really
spook these fish.

thanks again for all the replies.

01-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Vince, I agree with Discus George. The temperature is also a bit high. Try 82 degrees! Joe ;)