PDA

View Full Version : AUSSIE DISCUS SHOW

nalah
01-14-2003, 06:25 PM
here are the details for the sydney show

***THE 2ND INTERNATIONAL AUSTRALIAN DISCUS ASSOCIATION SHOW
Venue: ROSEHILL GARDENS SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Dates 15th and 16th MARCH 2003
Accommodation: RYDGES HOTEL (Walking distance of the Venue)
Amount of Entries: 200 Tanks and competitors can place unlimited entries
Cost per Entry: $10.00
AustCATEGORIES ***
First Prize
Novice***$200
Open***$200
Spotted***$200
Snake***$200
Solid***$200
Brown***$200
Pigeon***$200
Turquoise***$200
GRAND CHAMPION 1ST PRIZE $1,000
Judges: Jonathan Teh Waterlife Aquatics Penang MalaysiaRonald Chan Pantone Discus Hong KongJulie Huong Vivid Discus TaiwanPeter Ng
Call Australian Discus Association Sydney Australia For further information regarding accommodation, airfreight, quarantine etc, please contact the Secretary of the Australian Discus Association, Colin Stewart on 0011 612 98645701
Closing date for Entries and Fees is 15th Feb 2003

Jason
01-15-2003, 06:58 AM
sounds great, hope the fix isn't in like the infamous Brisbane show last year

taybelZ
01-15-2003, 08:24 AM
cool thanks for the update pascale, sounds like a show i'll be making it up to.

nalah
01-16-2003, 05:45 PM
it sounds like it will be good. international entrants will attend also.

scottwheels
01-16-2003, 06:40 PM
LOL Jason!!!!!!!!!

Mattzilla
02-01-2003, 08:09 AM
i'll be there
what day are you going to go????

Smokey
03-18-2003, 02:02 PM
O.K. - AUSTRALIA, the show has come and gone. Where are everyones comments, stories, and pictures. The rest of us are waiting with baited breath. Com'on SHARE..... eh!

sunshinediscus
03-18-2003, 10:33 PM
some of the show fish were of extremely poor quality

scottwheels
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM
I can't help it... I didn't go to the show, and I don't have a report yet from anyone who did, but if it was anything like the Brisbane show, I'm glad Ari and I didn't fork out the $400 to fly down there. Having said that, there were some gems amongst the dross at the Brisbane show. I saw the largest discus that I had ever seen there - it had to be a genuine 10" fish. And I would have liked to meet Mr Yeng at the Sydney show, but oh well... Next year.

Cheers, Scott

April
03-19-2003, 12:28 AM
well..i have a report.....and i was far away . lol. but i will let the reporter report it.
mine was a very general report. think pics will be worth a 1000 words..and we have to wait a few days for those. ;D

heh welcome by the way sunshine discus.
check out the aussie aussie post lower down.

scottwheels
03-19-2003, 03:01 AM
LOL April - you don't miss a trick!! I was thinking after I posted the previous message that if I had a prize winning discus (or one that I thought was prize winning) I wouldn't stress it or risk injury by shipping it accross the country. I'd keep it at home where I could gaze upon its wonder... Mine... All mine!!

Cheers, Scott

The Discus Baron
03-19-2003, 04:58 AM
:-*Hey, You guys have some interesting things to say re the ADA /PIJAC Show.
However I didnt see any of you organising a guppy to go in or lifting a stand to help.
If we all stood back like you all have done , Australia would be dominating the stunned mullet competitions and not hosting World Discus Shows etc.
Its sad to see the level of critism in this site from an obvious lazy good for nothing buch . of :-X witts.
Get behind the Movers and shakers here in Australia or watch the industry go round the S- Bend.
Have a Nice-Day 8) ;D :o :P :D ;).

nalah
03-19-2003, 06:59 AM
I don't see any negative comments re. the organisation of the show Mr Baron. Only the discus entered. And as mentioned,it does say that there were great fish there.

In any case,we are free to voice our opinions .....

GIJoe
03-19-2003, 09:38 AM
In reply to Pascale's comments of poor quality Discus at the show, I beg the question

" What qualifications do you have to be so judgemental "?

Given that the visiting Judges and guests (which included S.Yeng Nura Discus, R Chan Pantone Discus & others) spoke highly of the show and the discus exhibited, shows what little you know. It is far easier to stand back and sling barbs & comments at others "to make one appear to be more knowledgeable" than they really are, then you must be careful. For when you make comments like these on this forum or any other, it is obvious that you are a pretender and a Philistine.

Those of you who are shallow and do not have the Intestinal fortitude to join the contest are condemed to spend your days of Discus keeping watching from the sidelines and living like parasites off the successes of others. Some fish were better than others (but poor) quality is an exaggeration!. Discus fanciers who participated are those who wish to improve in both keeping and breeding. For if you don't compete you will not improve.

Rod
03-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Interesting comment Discus baron" get behind the movers and shakers in the aquarium industry or go down the S bend"hhhhhhmmmmmmmm....so if we don't follow you and grovel at your feet then the discus in Australia are in the dunny??? I don't think so....careful mate, your arrogence is showing ;) A name would give your post validity......

Oh and gi joe, yet another brave man giving out self rightous comments..... so because we stood on the side line we are condemned to being parasites living of the success off others. And i spose that successfull person us parasites are living off is you???

nalah
03-19-2003, 04:47 PM
nothing to do with knowledge ... its what is pleasing to the eye. and unfortunately,some fish were not. we have a right to express our thoughts.

its good to see new members at simply but if you are going to be rude,arrogant and abusive,keep away.
you don't even have the balls to show your real name.

or are you pissed off because you had fish in the comp and got no where??

ari_wh
03-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Hhhmm.... maybe I should not reply this, but I just can't help myself. I don't know whether I would be sorry for this... but there it goes.

We are all trying to learn and enjoy our hobby, so please keep the forum civil. There is no personal attack intended by saying some fish are poor quality, and some people are trying to voice their opinion on the ACA show hoping that it might get better next year.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so let us wait for the photos of the fishie and make our own. In the mean time, for those who could make it to the show and took some photos, could you be so kindly posting some on the forum, so we can have a look and judge for ourselves?

And for the new members, it will be better if you can introduce yourselves, so we know who you are and where you are from. We are one big happy family here in simply, especially the Aussie's member.

Regards, Ari :)

April
03-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Good reply Ari...and if you all go to general....Rod did post the show pics for us . And he took very nice pictures at that!!
NOw.....we;ve never had to edit or lock any Aussie threads.....we wouldnt want to have to start now would we?
I''d say theres one or two Aussies that i know who are rather knowledgeable about discus...and yes...they were only giving their opinion on personal taste...and perhaps maybe expected different than what they saw...just friendly discussions between fellow hobbyists.
Im sure the show had alot of great planners and organizers and im sure everyone is extremely greatful for the work that went into the show. I never saw anywhere where someone criticized all the hard work that went into this.
And i heard there were some very nice fish for sale...just pricey is what i heard...and a tad out of their price range. But im sure there were lots that everyone wouldve been happy to have swimming about in their tanks.
I saw the pics..and so far everyone on the forum are rather impressed with most of them.
thanks for stopping by....perhaps we can all start over with introductions of yourselves in the Aussie Aussie Aussie thread lower down in this section and start off again with a bit mellower tone.
Perhaps you all have already met....with different names already?

scottwheels
03-19-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry you new posters (GI Joe, DB et al) feel that way. We all want healthy, happy discus of the highest quality. Personally, I don't have any show stopper discus, and like I said, if I did, I would cherish it instead of packing it up and sending it on a trip. I'll leave that to those with discus to spare. And as for bagging the quality of the discus, my interpretation was that some of the discus on display were actually on death's door, which is no way to be showing a discus. I don't claim to be a guru or expert of any kind, so you can take this post as you like.

At the end of the day, we're all friends here trying to keep discus, from newbies right through to the gods of discus. I certainly wasn't attacking the hard work put in by the organisers of the show or the people who had stalls. For my part, I'm a financial member of the ADA, even though I live in Brisbane. Posts like yours are not encouraging new members to explore the world of discus. I assume you know the policies here at Simply, and whilst not all are in agreement, all abide. I appreciate the passion of discus affectionados, but for the sake of people trying to learn, keep it nice. :)

Cheers, Scott

scottwheels
03-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Sorry April, When I started posting yours wasn't there. You said it better than I could. Now to check out those photos all the way over in General Topics Land ;) ...

Cheers, Scott

April
03-19-2003, 06:57 PM
yours is great Scott.....about the same thoughts lol.
all of us aussies and wannabe aussies are all buds. not here to argue.
and im the token big bad mod. ::)

Mattzilla
03-19-2003, 07:10 PM
if you knew the valuable knowledge and experiences that pascale shares with us on a daily basis, you'de realise that she knows what she is talking about.

gi joe...." living like parasites.....to make one appear to me more knowledgable :'( since when are you the god of the discus world.

i've only been in the discus game for a little while, but what i do know is that it's people like pascale that are kind, warm and share themselves with others; and people like you that are bullheaded, arrogant and i'd say pretty lonely. good luck...you need it

nalah
03-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Ari and April... sorry. i did get carried away there.
I apologise for that.

but when lurkers sign up just to make trouble,it p#*$ me off.

Freedom of speech is what brings people back to simply. No need for insults,i agree.

GIJoe
03-19-2003, 07:44 PM
regarding the Show, for nowhere else in Australia has a large collection of Discus been brought together for all to see. Even Discus fanciers from Qld came down to see the show the show was a success and all should be congratulated and thanked for contributing to the show (especially the Malaysian entries, judges and guests). It has helped to display and educate Australian keepers & breeders quality discus that would normally never be imported due to cost.
Cheers
This was edited by April.
I think we have all said what needed to be said.
please leave personal and political differences off simply. there is however an im feature..for any further conversation.
sorry.but think i'm going to lock this thread.
the Show pics are already up on general...and there will be more posted in a week by Chong. thanks Chong and Rod for sharing pics with us.