PDA

View Full Version : medication for white eggs

troy
01-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi

Would like to know how much 1% Methylene blue to use for white eggs.
One more question , after how many hours should the eggs turn black.

Troy

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2003, 08:03 PM
You should see black eyes after 24 hours. I've never used meth blue - is it 1 drop per gallon?
Carol :heart1:

Discusgeo
01-14-2003, 08:04 PM
There is no medication for white eggs, they are unfertilized eggs and will grow a fungus on them. If your eggs are fertile they should change color between the second and third day. I don't use Methylene Blue on my eggs. I always thought it was worthless. I add 2 drops of FORMALIN per gallon of water after my Discus finish spawning, about 30 minutes later

01-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Troy, DiscusGeo is right, if the eggs are white they are no good. The eggs should be a golden color and after a day or so you should start seeing a blackish ring inside the eggs........Randy

troy
01-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi all

After 24hrs 5% of the eggs go white, after the second day getting near the third 70% are white 10% have gone clear and the rest are a golden colour.

I take it that these eggs are not fertilized and i do not know why.
I have had 3 males from the same family about 2 years of age , sold one to a person who has breed with him, my other two have paired up but have not had any success with fertilized eggs .
Both males do put a lot of effort in to fertilizing the eggs.
I have tried turning the current off during fertilization but still no success.
Ph is 7.6 - 7.8 , gh of 108 ppm , temp 29.

Can anyone see any reason for not getting fertilized eggs.

Troy

01-15-2003, 07:27 PM
How Old are They?

troy
01-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Hi Gary

My discus are about 2 years old now or close to it.

Troy

01-15-2003, 09:01 PM
I can think of one.. maybe the ph is a little high...many will say that ph doesn't matter, but since i started altering my ph i've had a better fertility rate....while i can't say for certain i don't think it's coincidence....my ph is a little higher than yours though(in the 8's)
I use a medication called Maroxy after my fish have spawned to treat the eggs for fungus...it does basically the same thing as meth blue only it doesn't harm the biofilter...

Discusgeo
01-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Troy next time you see them getting ready to spawn shut off the air to the tank and leave them alone. I usually do at least a 75 percent water change when I see they are getting ready to spawn. I leave the air off on the tank until 30 minutes after they are done spawning. I then add the Formalin to the tank and then turn the air back on. I know my Discus are done spawning because the male chases the female in the corner. I then add egg crate to the tank so the female can move around in the other half of the tank.

01-15-2003, 10:16 PM
that's interesting george....the female isn't a very good parent, i take it??? :)

troy
01-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Hi all

Yes i did turn off all water flow and air before they began to spawn , but it did not make any difference.
I will try it again.
This must be about the 25 to 30 th time they have spawned now.
I am begining to think that both my males are sterile , but i am going to lower PH and hardness and try that before i come to that conclusion. ???

Troy

April
01-16-2003, 04:37 AM
my eggs all go white cept 10 or so by the second day. 40 hours or more. very soft water. and i could not get good eggs no matter what. starting using maroxy after they spawn..just once..and success!! i still get the white ones at 12 hours...which are not fertile but the rest now stay fine.

troy
01-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Well , my fish are not sterile , what a relief to find two golden coloured wrigglers. There are a few more that are dead on the bottom of the tank , the parents pick them up trying to stick them to the wall repeatedly.

I now will try a new medication to stop fungus, i have not seen maroxy here in New Zealand , are there any other names for this med?. If not will try formalin.

Thanks to all for your help.

Troy

Discusgeo
01-16-2003, 03:00 PM
David the female of mine are all great parents and tend to the babies as well as the male. It's just that the males are over protective and chase the females away. So to give them equal time with the babies the egg crate goes into the tank and the babies swim thru it to get to the other parent.