PDA

View Full Version : Mate switching

Michael61
01-14-2003, 08:19 PM
After about 30 epsiodes of egg/wriggler eating, I finally seperated my pair and introduced a new male (old mate's brother) to my female. I can tell she is ready to spawn again because her egg tube is quite decended and this has always been a good indicator for her in the past. When I first put the new male in, she did a bit of shaking around him and I figured this was a good sign. It's been a week and they now just seem to co-exist. Anything I can do to move things along? Are there issues when you break up a pair and try to create a new one? It's not like they have anything else to do in there!!

Michael

01-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Michael, there are several things you can do to help it along. If you have the time to watch the tank you may want to place the first male back into the tank with the other two....Just be ready for World War Three, or they get along great....If the female looks like she is going to lay pull the old male out and see if the new male has a clue on what he is suspose to do...............HTH Randy

I know several people will argue this point but I think there are some female discus that just will not breed with other males once she breeds with a certain one....I have one female that lost her mate and I have tried several different males with her and she has really never shown much interest in any of them

Jason
01-15-2003, 05:25 AM
be very careful especially if they are wilds, try a tank divider if they get rough, or place them in ajacent tanks where they can see each other for awile.

mench
01-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Sometimes it is also good to let the female stay alone in the breeding tank for a couple of days.She will get lonely by herself and will be glad to have the company of another fish.

Mench

Michael61
01-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the ideas. She was in the tank alone for about a week. The new "pair" actually get along quite well. Some pushing to move the other from food, but that's about it. They tend to swim together a bit and hover together at night. Just no signs of romance! These two males were together in the display tank for the week when I moved the old mate from the female and before I introduced the new male to the female. It was not a pretty sight. I can't imagine that the pressence of the original male's former mate would improve the males' relationship!! Still an interesting idea if it triggers a spawn. Not up to that yet, we'll see. How much time would you give the new "pair" to see if sparks fly on their own?

Michael