PDA

View Full Version : HEATERS

engineguy129
01-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Another poll :P
For anyone who new considering setting up a Discus tank, so they can see what most of the senior/skilled hobbist or breeders are preferring and why.

As for myself I am planning on Jalli 300w titanuims

BlueTurquoise
01-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Via Aqua stainless is what I am using and will consider as my next purchase. Be careful as there are 2 types of Via Aqua, a glass type and a Stainless type.

Jager's used to be good but quality control went out the window at some stage with at least the 300W ones, not sure now. Never the less I swear by my older 100W jager...

Chong

wo
01-15-2003, 10:56 AM
I like to use Jaeger. Their heater are so safe that I can ignore even when the heater are above the water during the WC. This is the brand I don't have to worry about discus being cooked.

1bigfish
01-15-2003, 01:20 PM
The new Visi-Therms are great. I've used the old style since the late 80's, and it was always tough to get the correct temp set. The newer style set the temp within 1 deg. So I set them 1 deg/click past where I want it, and have not had to touch one again. Plus, they don't break the bank.

darcy
01-15-2003, 06:26 PM
I don't know... I've heard alot of people complaining about the Ebo's!! I have them in my tanks all the way from a 50 watt to 250 watts and have only ever had one not heat up to the proper temp. I took it back got a new one and have not had a problem since. I've never had one that has overheated! Now I have tried thermal's and Tronic's and imo they are a bunch of junk!!! When I get a new heater now I put them into an empty tank and run them for 2 or 3 days to see if they are up to par!!!! I would rather do this than take a chance on the heater not heating my discus or the heater cooking my discus!!
Darcy

Discusgeo
01-15-2003, 09:47 PM
I have alway's been a big fan of Ebo Jagers but in the last month I had 3 of the new black ones go out. I mean no heat. It took me a day to figure out why my discus in one tank weren't happy. No Heat. Well today I just got in 6 Won Pro Heat 250W Titanium and will see if they hold up. Like Chong_Ly said they were great at one time but quality has gone down hill since the old green ones.
George

Jeff
01-15-2003, 09:51 PM
I have been using the Via Aquas now for a while and I'm a big fan of them. ;)

01-15-2003, 10:01 PM
I think I have tried just about all of them out ther but I keep going back to the Visi-Therms I have just had real good luck with them

Randy

joanr
01-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm replacing all my Ebo's with titaniums, with these, on sale now at www.customaquatics.com.

250 watt Titanium Pro-Heat II aquarium heater with remote digital temperature controller, Won Brothers. Controller provides a digital temperature LCD display that indicates actual temperature of the water. Unbreakable corrosion resistance Titanium heating tube. Double heating tube. Fully submersible. On-Off heating light and power indicator. Can be mounted either horizontally or vertically. Automatic protection device activates when sensor is disconnected or shorted. Very durable and reliable. Safe and easy to operate. Aquarium IC (integrated circuit) thermostat uses IC to control the heater to adjust desired aquarium temperature. Operating temperature range: 60 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit. Power cord length is 6 feet long to heater, and control has additional 6 foot cord to plug into wall outlet.

Sure hope these do better than my last 4 200w ebo's. All four went out this past month, either real screwy temps or wouldn't shut off. They were only about 8 months old. I'm real sad to see the quality problems with the Ebo's. They used to be dead on accurate, now they suck. IMHO :)

HTH
JR

nalah
01-17-2003, 04:37 PM
I go along with Chong on this one.
older jagers were reliable. but new ones die after less than 6 months. i went thru 4 last year.

but no matter what brand you buy..... HAVE SPARES ON HAND.
no heaters are 100% reliable.

rsawest
01-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Rena Cal Basic

01-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I am very happy with the Via Aquas that I purchased from Jeff. They hold the temp. real well and need no adjusting. They give you the most bang for the buck.

HTH
Miles

Wahter
01-17-2003, 05:26 PM
I've seen a lot of people who've had bad luck with the current ebo's, but I only have one of the new styles (black with the blue knob on top); so far it's been working well and the temp setting is about the same as my thermometer.

I really needed the Ebos when we had our power outtage due to the ice storm; when the power kicked on, the water temperatures were around 62ºF; I moved my discus into a rubbermaid tub filled with enough water to cover the discus' heighth, threw in a spare Hagen heater with an airstone and while the discus were 'defrosting', I did some water changes while the Ebos were warming the water in the tanks. They really came through for me and after about 3 hours, the temperatures were back to 84ºF, I moved the discus back in. I didn't lose a single discus nor any other fish.

limige
01-18-2003, 09:13 AM
most all of my ebo's have gone weak on me during the past 6 months, most won't heat over 84.

right now i have one of the won pro heat I that i think is decent, but i plan on buying some jalli's titaniums soon, look like a good deal!

elimon
01-18-2003, 09:53 AM
About two years ago, I lost 9 discus due to a runaway heater.
That was a thermal heater. :'(

There is a guy in this board that sells Pro-heat titaniums.
He has a website: http://www.aquacave.com/ 8)

Jason
01-18-2003, 11:31 AM
I like the old ebo's not because they were acurate-they aren't
they just had a real good design and most importantly THICK GLASS!

I know alot of people here really like the titaniums or ss ones, but I do not want metals of any type in my tanks.

so unless I can find a fairly reliable brand, I'm gonna use ebo's with external controlers.

JMO

Ryan
01-18-2003, 02:38 PM
I still use Ebos. The last few 250 watt heaters I bought were either dead out of the box, or they wouldn't shut off and would overheat by about 15 degrees. I have 200 watt Ebos in both of my 55 gallons and I only ever see one come on in each tank. I'm not sure if that means the other one isn't working, or if maybe their thermostats are just off and they never are triggered to come on.

Either way, both tanks stay heated even with the one heater running, and I am messing with my water everyday during feedings and w/c so I'd feel the temperature change if they quit working. I keep a few spare Ebos just in case I have an emergency, but so far I haven't had to use it. Oh, and their little 50 watt heater works great for my 10 gallon angel fry tank :)

Ryan

01-19-2003, 11:59 AM
I use the digital titanium heaters that show you the water temperature on all my tanks. LOVE THEM!!!! They are the best in my opinion-

Weezy

daninthesand
01-21-2003, 10:26 AM
I currently have several of each of the Ebo's and Tronics running. They all have not let me down so far. The only complaint, is the Tronics do not shut off if run dry as they claim. I broke one from draining a tank too low with the heater still on. A minor thing in my mind since no other glass heaters claim this anyway.

Daniel

edgeguy
01-22-2003, 10:27 AM
I have had the original Ebo in my 55 gallon African Cichlid tank for over 12 years. Getting a 92 gallon corner Discus tank and will be using Ebo. ;D

allan_mark76
01-23-2003, 06:05 PM
eBO Jager are pure crap ! ! ! I tossed mine into the garbage as they don't even keep an accurate temp. YOu set them at 92 and they heat only up to 84. Crap crap crap I tell you.... the friggin light is always on also....there goes my electric bill....

Via Aqua all the way... I fried a couple... a couple of them are also off calibrated but they work at the temp that you want them.... if you need any I purchased mine from Jeff at www.discusfarm.us.

Bee007
01-28-2003, 04:56 AM
I bought a 250W ebo for my discus tank. The heater never stayed on and when it's on it was warm to the touch. Good thing I had a 300w visatherm
along in the tank. I waited too long to use it, now I have to pay shipping to send it back.

jim_shedden
01-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Touchy subject. I have been running ebo's but the next heater I get will not be one.................nuff said.............I think I will try titanium

01-28-2003, 11:33 AM
I just replaced the four 200w Ebo Jagers in my 180g with two 500w heaters from Jehmco. The Ebos were working fine but couldn't get the temp above 88ºF. Since I already had a controller for the heaters (and was running the Ebos on it) the cost of switching wasn't significant either, $66 for the new 500's to do the work of $75 worth of Ebos. I still use Ebos on all of my individually heated tanks and will use the Ebos out of my 180g on other tanks as well. As I determine the max temp that a heater can get a tank to I mark it on a label and attach it to the cord. That way I know which heaters can get to 93ºF and which are limited to 86ºF. Maybe I've just been lucky but all of my heaters can get to at least 86ºF and none have ever cooked a tank.

Dave

nazangels
01-28-2003, 03:27 PM
I have mostly Ebo's in my tanks with a couple of tronics, a titanium and a stainless steel. Most of the Ebo's can't get any warmer than 84 F or so. I'm replacing them slowly with titaniums. The Tronics seem to work fine, but I only use them in small hatching tanks and holding tanks, so don't work them as hard as some of the others. The titanium is working great. Haven't been really impressed with the ViaAqua stainless steel. Doesn't seem to have the heating ability that even the Ebo's have. I also had a Thermal fry a tank, so won't buy one of them again.

Kap
01-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Regarding this business of heaters not being able to get the tank warm enough or hold the temp accurately, is there any possibility that room temperature, type of filter (e.g., external power filter) tank close to outside wall, outside temperature, placement of heater in respect to water current, location of thermometer, etc. all impact the final reading? Seems to me the issue is more complex than it appears at first blush. To blame the lack of desired results solely on the heater seems rather simplistic, given all of the other variables unaccounted for.

daninthesand
01-29-2003, 02:29 AM
Kap.

You raise a valid point. However I think the assumtion being made here is that a heater that maybe once used to bring the temp up to say 90 degrees in the same tank with all the factors you mention being unchanged, over time the heaters fail to reach the same temp and can only manage to achieve 86 or so.

Daniel

arpanlib
01-30-2003, 04:29 PM
hey all,
the RENA works good for me........ anybody tried those ???

arpanlib

DarkDiscus
01-30-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm not having luck with any of the heaters I have bought in the last year. I previously said bad things about Ebos, but since 2 other brands I have tried have been even worse, I am giving up trying new ones, so I will just buy Ebos and test them thoroughly before using. If they work, the ones I have do well enough.

Very frustrating.

John

DIVR6347
02-03-2003, 09:14 PM
NOT OUT TO CAUSE ANY TROUBLE
BUT IT SEEMS MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE DOWN ON THE
CURRENT LINE OF EBO-JAGERS THE FUNNY THING ABOUT IT IS THEY ARE WINNING THE MOST VOTES IN THE POLL ???
I LIKE MINE I HAVE THREE 150S AND ALL WORK PERFECTLY
THRU MY PROQUATICS IN THE TRASH!!!

02-04-2003, 04:50 PM
I have to cast my vote for the Pro-heat titanium. I just have the cheaper ones, no LCD. They are the best heater I've ever used. I have a 300 watt one on my 125Gal and it heats the whole tank by itself with ease. I quarantined 16 juveniles in this tank recently and that little 300 watt titanium kept all 125 gallons at a steady 93 degrees for over a week--pretty impressive in my book. :elvis: