PDA

View Full Version : PH for spawning

KEVINT
01-14-2003, 10:30 PM
My PH level out of my tap water is 6.5 but the Ph level of my breeding pairs tank is 7.5.
Will my pair eventually have a spawn or should i buy some ph down and lower it to 6.5. They show all the signs of spawning, shaking, bowing, etc. they even started to pick off a spot on a piece of PVC. My water temperture is at 84 and iam lowering it to 82.
What should i do.
thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Don't worry about the pH, worry about the hardness. Do you have a test kit to measure GH and KH? If not, buy one, they aren't that expensive.

My water from the tap is 6.8 and stabilizes at 7.8 after agitation (that's why we all have holding tanks for our change water - discus don't like big swings in pH). The GH of my water is 11 - too hard for discus eggs to be fertilized.

I have an RO (reverse osmossis) that filters out magnesium, calcium and other minerals. I mix the RO water 50/50 with my tap water to a GH of 6. The pH is still about 7.6 and my eggs are fertilized and hatch.
Carol :heart1:

KEVINT
01-15-2003, 10:02 PM
What should the general hardness be. I live in New York and i have generally soft water. Is there any other way to soften the water without buying a RO Unit. If my water is two hard.
Thanks Kevin

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2003, 03:33 AM
I've gotten hatches at GH 6 and GH 9 (measured by Aquarium Pharmaceutical test kits) There are other methods than RO, but they are expensive if used on a regular basis. Maybe your is fine just like it is.
Carol :heart1: