PDA

View Full Version : Need help rehabbing my runt!

heavyp83
01-15-2003, 12:28 AM
I've got 6 3-4" fish in my 40 gallon tank, plus one runt, about 2". I've noticed that he's getting rather skinney due to having to fight the bigger guys for food. I'm going to put him in his own 10 gallon tomorrow, and I was wondering if there is anyithing besides normal procedures that I should do for the little guy. Thanks!

Carol_Roberts
01-15-2003, 01:44 AM
It's kind of a catch 22. He doesn't get enough to eat with the big guys, but if you put him all by himself he may be too scared to eat . . . :-\

IF he's not sick then there isn't any thing special you need to do. A little higher heat and a little salt won't hurt.

Carol :heart1:

heavyp83
01-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Hmm so what would you do? He's really getting skinney, so I want to do all I can for him. Thnaks!

Carol_Roberts
01-15-2003, 03:33 AM
erm, well its kinda survival of the fittest at my house. My tanks keep filling up and I don't have room to baby along runts or sickly discus.

If one of the big, adult, normally healthy discus got sick I would treat it. If they are healthy, but small in size I give them away. IF they are sick they go in the freezer.

You may want to experiment with meds to see how they work. I did in the beginning. Now I know that there are some discus that never fully recover and aren't worth the time to treat. And I learned how to use the basic meds like metro, etc.

So, in your case you may want to try a metro treatment with the raised heat, etc. and see if you can get him to start eating again.

Carol :heart1:

black rat
01-15-2003, 07:21 AM
What i've done in the past is divided the tank with chicken mesh and kept the sickie on one side,so he's stll with the others,but can get his own food.
Ps i'd also raise the temp a little :thumbsup: