PDA

View Full Version : PVC Pipe

Ralph
01-15-2003, 02:09 AM
This stuff is a miracle.
It is incredibly inexpensive and easy to work with. It is nontoxic and no special tools are needed. I lasts forever in the right conditions and the discus like it so much that they will lay their eggs on it.
It cuts easily with a common hacksaw blade. And if you cut it too short, it is so cheap to buy, you just cut another.
Pieces are bonded together using a simple inexpensive cement that leaves a joint that is stronger than the pipe itself. No special treatments are needed, just put the cement on and join the two parts. It dries quickly but not too quickly. And your fingers won't be part of the joint (like other cements that I won't mention). The wet cement is not good to breathe though.
Every hardware store sells the stuff and it comes with all sorts of valves, tees, 90s, caps, etc. and even solenoid controled valves. Adaptors are available to connect it to other systems too, threaded, etc.
It is real close to being the perfect material, I just wish it came in different colors (some people are never satisfied).
Did I leave anything out? Feel free to post tips, suggestions, or any benefits that I forgot to mention.

1bigfish
01-15-2003, 02:20 AM
I'll second that. In fact, my plumbing from the bulkheads to the drain for my breeding tanks isn't glued at all, just pressed together tightly. (garage w/cement floors ;).

On my 125 gal system, I have both the trickle filters plumbed with PVC and used aquarium silicone to bond the pieces. In all my years of doing this, no leaks, but I can twist it apart if I need to rearrange stuff.

Later, Steve

Ralph
01-15-2003, 02:27 AM
Hey Steve,
Welcome to the board. I like that idea of using silicone as a reversible bonding agent.
You are right, the joints are usually tight without anything, though I don't have enough faith I guess, at least not for the living room.

aloha_discus
01-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Aloha, I have seen the pvc in different colors. I asked the shop owner where he got them. He told me they were white at first. He sanded the pvc and then dyed them with food coloring. Blue for return water and red for exaust. I suppose it would work but I think to much hassle. If you like blue, meth/blu would probably do a good job. :)

Aloha Ike ;D

01-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Hey I have a PVC project I am working as well. Love the stuff!......

Discus life will be much easier real soon. ;) Will post pics when 100% complete.....

:)

01-15-2003, 03:10 PM
I've found that once the fish figure out what the pvc is for they don't go back to anything else in the tank...Both my angels and discus spawn only on the pvc(unless i remove it, then the heater and filter are open season)

allan_mark76
01-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Quick question ??? ??? ??? What do you all use to glue/bind the PVC pipes together??? ??? ??? ??? I need a binding agent that won't poison my discus:-X . The flows of the PVC pipes would be exiting and entering the tanks with H2O. Also where's a good place to pick this stuff at??? Home Depot??? If so a part number / manufacturer name would be great.

Also you all advised using aquarium silicone. Would that be just as good as a binding agent. Is this stuff readily available at the LFS???

Thanks all and sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to poison anybody. :-X

Thanks.

A- ;D

01-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Home Depot....either 100% silicone caulk,(100% silicone is aquarium safe, just get the clear stuff) or the pvc pipe glue...just make sure you give them at least 24 hrs to cure before using...If you can leave it for longer than that, that would be even better...

Ralph
01-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Hi Allen,
The PVC cement actually bonds the pieces together and they will never come apart. The silicone holds the pieces together and can be pulled apart if you need to redesign. The silicone does not bond the PVC though and should be used with caution, especially if under pressure.
The PVC cement is available everywhere that they sell the PVC, it comes in various size cans usually.
To my knowledge, both give off toxic gases, toxic to you and the fish. Both should be used in ventilated areas. But both, once they are dry (24 to 48 hours) are very stable and probably inert. So like David said, let them cure for a day or two.

allan_mark76
01-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. Damn looks like I have to return the silicone. I went to HOME DEPOT last night and the PVC cememnt was a lot cheaper than the silicone. Thanks again... ;D

A-

allan_mark76
01-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Quick question - If I dripped a little of the PVC cement within the pipes and let it dry will it still be okay to use??? I'm using the PVC pipes to fill my tanks and with a little PVC Cement within the tube I'm wondering now whether or not it's safe or not. BTW I'm going to let the PVC pipe cure for 3 days just to be safe and use warm water to flush out the pipes before use. Please let me know as I don't want to poison anybody.

Thanks.

A-

01-17-2003, 09:27 PM
A, yes it will be fine....Randy

Discusgeo
01-19-2003, 11:13 AM
While your at it make a few spanwing cones for your fish. This is from 1 1/4 PVC. Under the bottom piece while your at Home Depot/Lowes get a item where the PVC is located called a test plug. It fit's right in there and glue it to it with your Silicone Sealant. Once dry you can fill the tube half way with aquarium safe gravel by removing to top cap that I leave unglued. The gravel keep's it on the bottom of the tank and holds it steady.
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1400963.jpg

Ralph
01-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Hey George,
What a great idea, I've seen so many photos of eggs laid on PVC. It makes complete sense to intentionally put some PVC in their tank for them to use for their egg laying.

blackghost
01-27-2003, 06:13 AM
Hi there the board is very informative i was a discus beginner before i came to know about the board and now i have been able to cure hole in the head just by going through the board.
By the way PVC pipes are great i have made ugf from pvc pipes.
just cut them to the tank length and then u decide how many pipes u want to add to the width and join them with l bends and t type joints. And of course u have to drill holes on them at equi distant hole size depends on power head cpacity and type of gravel. works wonder for my 6foot by 1.5foot by 2foot tank and also for my 65 gallon discus tank.
for golden small sand you have to drill small holes.
i'll pose pictures if you allow and tell me how to post them.
sponge stripes can be inserted inside the tubes to increase the area available for benificial bacterias to grow.
niranjankirad@hotmail.com

01-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Blackghost... Welcome... :D

Please do post pics. Is easy. :thumbsup:
Resize and save your pic to 85k or below. Attach it to your post by copying it to the Attach: box, of your Post reply window.

Good luck, can't wait to see them...

Julz :)