PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Discus

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-15-2003, 03:28 PM
For get it.
I have seen females pair and spawn, I have also seen males pair and spawn.
The only sure way to sex Discus is to have one lay eggs and have wigglers hatch.
Any other way is just guessing.
Dennis

brewmaster15
01-15-2003, 04:04 PM
ain't that the truth!!!!!
-al

letranista
01-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I have been using the pin and thread method. I used to breed canaries and the only way to sex them was at spring time when the males started singing and you can check their bottm. But during the other season of the year it is difficult to figure out male from female. The pin and thread method which you have a metal object[pin,nail paperclip] in the end of a 12 inch thread. Hold the canaries or Discus with your left hand and with your right hand hang the metal object above the side of the discus or belly of the bird. If it swings forward and back it is a male. If it goes in circle [clockwise] it is the female. So far I used it on pregnant women. Guesssing the sex of the baby and proud to say I was 20 of 20 correct. I tried it on my proven pair and it worked. What I am trying to say is do we have any other way? If I was purchasing some juvs or adolescent discus and the breeder let me do my experiment , what I can say is there is nothing to loose. You still try to look for certain signs and maybe the last resort is the pin and thread method. In my case it is effective but some individual might think the other way. Try it and please post your results.I would try a proven pair first.

darcy
01-15-2003, 06:31 PM
I just rub my crystal ball and it tells me all!!!! ::) ::) ::)

I agree with Dennis and Al the best way is too see if the eggs hatch or not! Been there done that. Took a pair(I thought) put them in their own tank, had eggs,no hatch. This went on a couple of times til I caught them both laying eggs!!! I couldn't believe it lesbo fish!!!! They are now back in the community tank trying to become straight!!!

Darcy

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Pin and thread? I thought you are supposed to use your wedding ring on the end of the mother's long hair to sex unborn children? LOL

I agree with Dennis and Al. Although I do think the fin tangent method works maybe 5-10% of the time. At least that means 45%-55% probability as apposed to 50-50... Nothing is for sure though...

Chong

01-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Word to Your mother ;D

Am real good picking Males But I have been fooled by many Females (ain't that the Truth LOL!) Also what Dennis has mentioned has happened to!

TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

SLY
01-16-2003, 03:18 AM
sexing adult discus is not that difficult but like cary said I have been fooled by female acting like a male too lol I've seen female fertilizing eggs laid by another female and suddenly I see 2 different tones eggs and like 600 eggs altogether :o but sexing juveniles is definitely more challenging and most of the time you would think the bigger of the batch are males..but it always turn out not to be 100% true. ;D

01-17-2003, 05:26 PM
The fool proof way to sex discus is to watch them lay eggs and fertilze them.

Miles ;D