PDA

View Full Version : Carol-question on intake sponge

fossil
01-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Hey Carol sorry to just direct this question to you but I belive the "intake sponge" was your idea. I'm getting tired cleaning bloodw's out of my filter so I wanted to try a intake sponge on my AC. Can you just pick up one of those sponges at a LFS?
Thanks Carol :)

letranista
01-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Hydro sponge has one that has adapter for most popular back filters. It has an elbow which connects at the end of the tube of your back filter. One of our LFS has a lot of them [but somewhat pricey $11]. I would combine that with an Aquaclear with 2 inside foam medias[no charcoal media]

darcy
01-15-2003, 06:19 PM
The pre filter is a great idea!!! All I do is go buy the round fluval 4 inserts and cut them in half. I then cut a piece about an inch long (the little one inside the big foam) and use this to plug the end. So basically I get 4 pre filter's out of a box of two fluval4 insert's. Understand?

Darcy

sorry for butting in Carol!! ;D ;D

Carol_Roberts
01-15-2003, 06:47 PM
I can't find the blue fluval sponges any more, so I've been making my own prefilters.

Any fine pore sponge will do IF it does not contain any detergents, perfumes, or other additives.

I've been using those big 99 cent yellow sponges. They are shaped like a figure 8. I cut them in thirds and then cut an X in the top to slip over the stem of the filter intake tube.

I'll post a picture tonight.

Carol :heart1:

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2003, 02:52 AM
Here's a picture. Do you see the yellow sponge on the intake tube of the aqua clear in each tank? I used the third piece of the sponge to replace a worn out air sponge.
CArol :heart1:

fcdiscus
01-16-2003, 03:13 AM
Gotta love it, Carol! :D Frank

Jameson
01-16-2003, 03:47 PM
The pre-filter sponges we use are called filter max 1, 2, and three.

These cost 5-7$ at most internet retailers, and my local 'cheap as the net even after tax' lFS.

These are fine pore sponges and have multiple attachments to work on any filter. user friendly and they last.

JC

fossil
01-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Hey guys thanks Carol and everyone, I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was away for a few days.

How can you be sure the sponge is safe?(without any detergents, perfumes, or other additives.)

Will it say it on the pack?

Carol is there any brand that you would recomend?

thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Actually the cheapest sponges are least likely to have additivies. I run them under the faucet, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze to look for soapy foam and sniff for fragrance. Try ones sold to wash cars.
CArol :ehart1:

01-17-2003, 07:56 PM
I use AC500 sponge filters as my pre filters and they do a very good job.

Miles

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi Miles, I tried the aqua clear sponges and thought the pores were too big. They let the little fine bits into the filter.
Carol :heart1:

fossil
01-18-2003, 12:01 AM
MUCH thanks to everyone thanks so much top dog(Carol) ;)

01-18-2003, 01:55 AM
Carol,
Really??? I have not found anything in the filter yet. That is weird. But they work fine and dandy for me.

Miles

mench
01-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Miles I also use the 500 sponges,I just buy a case of them cut them in half and put them on the tubes...I always have extras ready so I can change prefilters after cleaning,I put new ons on and clean the old,rinse them real well and into the mircowave for a quick heat and back on the shelf.

Mench

Ryan
01-18-2003, 02:27 PM
I was using a cut piece of AC500 sponge too, but then I broke down and bought the Filter-Max 3 (made by the same people as Hydro sponges) and it comes with fittings to attach it to the AC. I love it because it looks nice and neat, comes off easy for cleaning, and is made of a finer material than the AC sponges I'd been using. I pulled the sponges out of the back of the AC after 2 months to clean it, and it was spotless, so all I had to do was rinse and reassemble.

Ryan

RAWesolowski
01-19-2003, 04:51 PM
I use the sponge that Marineland sells for its Penguin Power Head. I like the basket that extends all the way down the sponge. Use it both for my Eheim and my Magnum.

Surprisingly, she attachments included would not work for the Magnum since Marineland manufactures both the Magnum and the Penguin lines. I ended up using the strainer that came with the Magnum and cutting off the bottom half of the sponge. Easy adaptation and I get another sponge!

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 06:42 PM
So much good info here!!! I am taking lots of notes down!

One question: how often do you find that you need to replace the intake? same time as the AQ500 sponges?

Chong

Ryan
01-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Squeeze the prefilter everyday during water changes. You can squeeze it out in hot tap since you're not worried about killing the bacteria in it.

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
01-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Thats right Ryan! I vigorously rinse my prefliter sponges under the running faucet every time I do a water change. Lol, it doesn't do any good to have all the water in the tank sucked thru the crap on the prefilter 3 times per hour.

CArol :heart1:

swvadiscus
02-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Can anybody tell me if they make a prefilter kit to fit the square lift tubes on the penguin 400's.

Who carries it?

Carol_Roberts
02-20-2004, 05:01 PM
None that I know of. You can make one out of any fine pore sponge as long as you are sure there is no anti . . mold, fungal, bacterial, chemicals added to sponge. Cut an "X" in one end to fit over intake tube.

Paulio
02-20-2004, 09:04 PM
I use the "Pondmaster" pump pre filters. These are the ones for the MagDrive line of pumps. They filt perfect on the AC300 and AC500. THey also fit well on 3/4" PVC and can stretch onto 1" PVC. Also, you can do all kinds of neat things to the intake of the bigger AquaClears with 3/4" or regular UGF lift tubes and fittings. I hate having the sponge against the back glass because of the food that gets caught behind it.

Paul

David N
02-21-2004, 12:59 AM
For those of you with square or rectangular intakes. I bought a foam cushion, the type that are sold in arts and crafts stores and then cut it in square blocks which I then fitted over the intake tubes. I bought a cushion which is 3" thick and is 22" x 22" for $9.99. This is enough for (49) 3" cubes. Make sure that the foam is labeled non-toxic and odorless. I'm not sure what it is made of but it has the same texture and feel as the hydrosponge.

Roblue
02-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Where can I find the Filter-Max3 online? Is there a Canadian site where I can order from? thanx

M0oN
02-22-2004, 02:02 PM
If you don't mind the look the AquaClear Quick Filter's for their powerheads fit perfectly over AC500 intakes and come off with ease, don't reduce flow rate and the replacement media is pretty cheap for them, very very fine pored stuff so you can be sure nothing is gett'n through besides water...

Check the post I made under Carol's original thread to get an idea of what they look like, towards the end...

Best part is they're easy to come by...

Hope that helps,
Jason

02-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Roblue,

here is the site I got from Ryan.

http://thatpetplace.com/MainPro/itemdy00.aspx?HKW=&TKW=filter-max&SKW=&EDP=5217&T1=F29+0558+0011&PgNo=1

Somehow I can't get the link complet so just copy and paste and it will work.

Ronald

Roblue
02-22-2004, 07:11 PM
thanks Ronald!

Ardan
11-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Do you still have the pic for this one Carol? :)