PDA

View Full Version : Acriflavine makes fish sterile?

Gizmo
01-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Howdy people.

Is this a valid claim against acriflavine :scared:

brewmaster15
01-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Very possible....

Heres the MSDS for Acriflavin (neutral)...

http://www.bee.cornell.edu/bmb_lab/safety/acrneutral.html

CHRONIC EFFECTS
MAY ALTER GENETIC MATERIAL.

I'd use with caution, or not at all. There are safer substitutes.

hth,
al

01-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Hello
I have used Acriflavine in very high dose's on all my breeding pairs time and time again. I also Know other breeders that use it and ship Discus in Acriflavine. IME I have not seen any changes in any of my Discus or in their production.

Also Others have claimed the same about Acriflavine not haveing any effect on breeders spawning and produceing
IME I consider it to be very safe. its the only Dye that can be used on pairs with fry without causeing any damage to the slime coat.

As of now I still use Acriflavine from time to time. I have seen the warnings long ago about it after useing it for some time.
After talking with many breeders, diagnostic labs ETC....
I find this statment very on true. Ofcourse any med over used is dangerous to Your discus If over used and over dosed at long periods of time.

As of now I would only use it in a in House Hatchery!
From the Many reports I have seen protozoan's and organism's now seem to be growing Resistant to it!

HTh
TakeCare
Cary Gld!

Gizmo
01-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Hello Al, Hello Cary thank ya's for your response. :)

I've decided against acriflavine at this stage, not so much for its toxic side effect as I've come to believe that probably all Meds. can and just might have some nasty toxic effect (reproductive, mutagenic, carcinogenic etc.) would this be true? - hence the do not overdose clause on most the shelf Meds. available at LFS, so yeah caution I guess.

Cheerio Kos.