PDA

View Full Version : Breeders you can trust

edgeguy
01-16-2003, 12:21 PM
I am looking for suggestions on ordering discus. Two breeders that have been noted are Great Lakes Discus and Mac's Discus. Who would you suggest and who is the best? I currently am leaning towards Great Lakes Discus.

RandalB
01-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Not to smootch anyone's butt,

Great Lake Discus.

Great Fish and you can't beat the customer service. I only have one of his fish but Cary has helped me through several nasty events on his own time which is extremely precious and scant with an infant in the house as I well know!

Can't go wrong with GLD!

RandalB

brewmaster15
01-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Hi,
Welcome to Simply Discus.

I have been very happy with Cary @great lakes discus, and with Al @Rockymountain Discus. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I think you will also get alot of reccommendations if you post an address that people can email you.

hth,
al

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Lots and lots of the members here have fish from Great Lake Discus (including me) and are proud of them. In fact there is a recent thread where members are showcasing discus purchased from him
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=6086 In addition, Cary freely answers questions on the board nearly everyday. He produces a quality product and has a high reputation for customer satisfaction.
Carol :heart1:

allan_mark76
01-16-2003, 06:00 PM
I'm suprised nobody said anything about Mac's discus...hmmmmmmmm :-\

A-

Marksor
01-17-2003, 01:11 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=6173

You can send me an email re feedback on my recent purchase experience with M_c's Discus, or check out the link above. Thanks.

fcdiscus
01-17-2003, 01:29 AM
You did ask for Breeders, right. I do not think Mac is a breeder anymore- just an importer! Nuff said! Frank

April
01-17-2003, 03:14 AM
I highly recommend cary at great lakes discus. he is very helpful and backs up his fish with his word.
give him a call or email. and yes....look at some of the pics of the fish he has sold. think it is a good representation.

roger
01-17-2003, 09:30 AM
I have some nice fish from Jack Wattleys Discus. Of course I have the advantage of going down and hand picking fish.

Peace,
Roger

mench
01-17-2003, 10:26 AM
I would go along with the rest and say Cary or Joe at Enchanted Discus or Mike Wells,when he gets going again.Macs if you can go to pick the fish youself........always a good idea if you can hand pick your fish....

Mench

arpanlib
01-17-2003, 11:17 AM
CARY is the guy.

though i have not bought fish from him, but he has helped me through the forum and as well as behind the screens.

he's a great guy.

my votes' to CARY. i trust him.

arpanlib

roger
01-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Just not to clould things, I also have fish from Cary :)

I just wanted to make sure that people dont forget that they have nice fish down here in Florida :)

Toothfairy
01-17-2003, 02:09 PM
I would also consider fish from the hobby breeders like fcdiscus, al, hunterbeav, paulmat and a few others. They are on the boards daily and you would certainly get good quality and service.

01-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Toothfairy I agree 100%

Roger ;) hee.hee.hee

Toothfairy
01-17-2003, 02:20 PM
I'm also fixing to get some discus from Cary next week and get a taste of his legendary quality. ;D ;D

Don_Lee
01-17-2003, 03:10 PM
Toothfairy-I think your best bet is to private message as many people as you can identify on this board who are experienced and who you can trust and ask for opinions. There are several great breeders AND great discus people to choose from. You are smart to ask around before you buy.

Don ;D

Toothfairy
01-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the advise as well as the compliment Don. You just gotta love this board ;D

jdr3366
01-17-2003, 08:23 PM
I recently bought 4 discus from Al aka Brewmaster. They are the best looking and healthiest fish I have.

John R

Al_M.
01-17-2003, 11:06 PM
I have been to Macs and orderd from Cary.
I would order from Cary anytime, if you can go to Macs and pick out your own that would work also.
But like everyone says CARY IS DA MAN!!!!!! ;D ;D ;) :) :D 8)

01-19-2003, 11:46 PM
:bounce2: CARY!! ;D :thumbsup: is da man!!! :bounce2:

Jason
01-20-2003, 09:33 AM
CARY!

jack wattley, or gabe, or whom ever they import from aren't even in the same league as Cary!

don't believe the hype!

Harriett
01-24-2003, 04:34 PM
It's Cary....let me repeat, it's Cary. The fish are always very high quality, and we all want that, but it's Cary himself who's in a league of his own--his reputation here and elsewhere is based on his passion for the hobby/business, his directness and honesty about whatever topic is on the table, and his tremendous willingness to jump in and help: he's a total genius regarding discus disease: diagnostics and treatments--doesn't care if the fish came from him or not, he ALWAYS jumps in and he is ALWAYS totally on target....he's saved my butt repeatedly---as well as a huge number of other folks on this board! Hats off to ya' Cary.
Harriett

01-24-2003, 05:07 PM
I would avoid buying from someone that you are told to buy from only if you can choose the fish yourself. That means that the breeder has nice fish but you are unlikely to get the nice ones if you aren't there to choose them. Buying fish is a leap of faith. You have to trust the person that you're buying from. Even if you choose them yourself there is still trust involved. You must trust the person that says that they are domestic or imported, whether they are recovering from some parasite/disease or not, whether they have been color fed, which pair produced them (if they are very young fish) etc. So if I can't trust the person to choose the fish for me then I don't want them regardless of whether I pick them or not. The one thing that I can say is that I have faith in Cary's honesty. He does what he says he's going to do and if something screws up he works with you to fix it. To me that's as important as the quality of the fish he sells.

Dave

01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Jason

You might want to read up a bit about the history of Discus.
And after have done that you also might want to reconsider the comment about Jack Wattley.
Buying Fish will always be a personal experience and so will most of the comments be. There is no doubt about Cary, Mike, Joe and many other high quality breeders but there is also no reason to drag down a man who has been one of those who laid the base of knowledge for many of us today.

Ronald

brewmaster15
01-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone,
Just a reminder , be sure you all read and understand this sites mission statement....

http://www.simplydiscus.com/mission_statement.html

Thanks,
al

jdr3366
01-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance. Who is Cary and how do I contact him?

Thanks,

John R

allan_mark76
01-24-2003, 06:58 PM
http://www.greatlakesdiscus.com/

::) :o ;D :o ::)

A-

Richman
01-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Some pretty good advice here. I haven't bought from them all but am thankful that I have followed good advice. That way I have avoided being burned. Planning on trying to get some from Cary as soon as I can get my infant breeding efforts out of the way and free up the space. Although from what I have observed of Cary, I'm not sure you can trust him. I understand that you might buy 6 fish and he may send you 7 or 8. Who can trust a guy like that. LOL ;D

Jason
01-25-2003, 11:20 AM
I agree Ronald,

you can't look to the future without looking at the past, he is a great man and has done phenomenal things for this hobby.

but it's 2003 now, and things have changed.

fishfarm
01-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Jason, Jack Wattley is the reason you have discus. He is THE MAN. I know Cary and Joe and they are truly good guys, but unless you have met Jack and talked to him and seen what a truely kind, gentle man he is, and watch him listen to a novice hobbyist and painstakingly give very sound advice, and spend as much time with him as need to insure his success, please do not knock the man we all consider the most famous discus breeder of them all. We honored Jack this year at the ACA convention for his dedication to the tropical fish hobby and I have never seen the response we got from the crowd for anyone in the hobby. "A roaring standing ovation" and this was from many people who have never kept a discus in their life, but true greatness is obvious when you meet him in person. Jack is no longer involved in the day to day running of his busness. He has given that over to Gabrial and he does a good job in maintaining the buisness for Jack. Jack is getting up in years and when he finally passes on to the great aquarium in the sky I will be extremely sad. Every where Jack goes to fish events he draws a crowd. I have seen many of the great Asian breeders crowd around him in Singapore just to get a chance to listen to him talk. Yes, it's 2003 and Jack is alive and well!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ken

Wolf
01-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Jack is no longer involved in the day to day running of his business

Gosh I should really stay out of this :-X because I can already sure where it's going but after seeing about 100 or so fish from the wattley "hatchery" that were sent to our LFS I would have to agree with Jason. I totally respect Jack Wattley but all his hatchery does now is bear his name. An imported fish is an imported fish and if you aren't told its imported it can be misleading and aggravating. Especially once you get that official Wattley peice of paper which all it means is you may have got a hatchery raised fish but chances are you got an import when you expected to get fish raised by the man himself.

Don_Lee
01-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Why don't we suffice it to say that Jack Wattley is a legend in discus and make no further comments? I for one have little interest in denigrating the icons of the discus hobby. I think enough has been said around this topic, and would appreciate restraint from here on in.

Don ;D

brewmaster15
01-25-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi all,

I agree with Don. Please continue this by IM if you want to. I'm beginning to think that there are 4 topics not to bring up in public...

1. sex
2. religion
3 politics
4. Discus breeders

Why?

1. can get in trouble with your significant other
2. Will get you in trouble with someones GOD
3. will get you in trouble with the lawmakers
4. Will get you in trouble with another Discus addict

Seriously though, This site tries to be fair to all breeders, and I must ask everyone to follow our mission statement, so that we can maintain that policy.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/mission_statement.html

Thanks,
al

01-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Well said Don and Fishfarm,

I for my part have no interest to defend or praise any Breeder or Importer. They are and should be able to do that themselves.
As I motioned "buying Discus will always be a personal experience and so will the comments be.

Nerveless, most of us know that Jack Wattley is no longer active as a Breeder and therefore I see no need to make remarks about him regarding active Breeding, Importing.
The Remarks can be noted to Gabe and he then might or might not want to deal with it.

I had no intention to stir something up, nor do I have any intention to grade any Breeder in anyway.

Ronald

Jason
01-25-2003, 10:38 PM
works for me :)

daninthesand
01-25-2003, 10:58 PM
after seeing about 100 or so fish from the wattley "hatchery" that were sent to our LFS

The part above regarding "LFS" might be the reason for your (poor?)experience with those 100 fish. I have received fish from some other very well known and respected breeders who every body just raves about ad nauseum. ::)Mine were through LFS, unfortunately, directly from such breeders.... they were less than ideal to say the least. LFS discus are just that. Nothing more. If you asked for premium grade A fish to be sent to your LFS from the breeder and get crap, then I can understand your positon. But as it has been said before: take into consideration the price, the intended location (LFS) and go from there.

If one is being directly misled into believeing one thing about a fish shipment and receives another, then that too is, of course, not right. Hopefully the breeder will attempt to make it right. Fish quality is one thing, but customer service should also be foremost in a breeder's mind.

Daniel

bikhu
01-26-2003, 10:02 AM
HI Everyone!
Is anyone familiar with a breeder who lists on Aquabid as Limzer?

01-27-2003, 02:36 AM
bikhu,
Jeff Young at Discusfarm.US knows that person. You should contact him prior to bidding.

HTH
Miles

brewmaster15
01-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Thank you everyone for respecting our mission statement.

-al