PDA

View Full Version : Seperate the pair but no good

Preeda_Lim
01-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi all, ;D

I got 1 pair that gave me spawn in the community tank 3 weeks ago, and i decided to take them out to breeding tank but the problem is they seem to be very panic and eat very less. This happens about 2 weeks now. Should i move them back to the main tank or this just the behavior before next spawn?

Thanks for comments,
Preeda

Wolf
01-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Hi, are your water parameters and temps the same? What about lights or shadows that may be spooking them in their new location. I noticed when I moved my pair from the community tank to their honey moon suite they didn't spawn again until around a month and a half later. I think it takes them a while to get used to their new surroundings. Perhaps you could raise you temps to around 86f and try feeding them live blackworms or their favorite food. Are they eating at all or have they completely lost their appetite? My pair doesn't eat much at all while they are guarding the eggs. I would let them adjust to their new home as long as they are eating a little but I'm no expert just a beginning discus keeper.

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Give them another week to settle in. Wolf made some good suggestions about checking the water parameters to make sure it is the same. You can cover most of the tank so they can only see out part of the front.
Carol :heart1:

01-17-2003, 09:44 AM
The spawning cycle has been broken after 3 weeks without spawning. It takes at least a few more weeks before they'll spawn again. 2 weeks without food is too long for a breeder to spawn successfully even if they do spawn today. Put them back to the community tank, feed them well and isolate them only when they start drilling their heads on the spawning site.
Jimmy.

Preeda_Lim
01-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks, wolf, carol and jimmy

I'll put them to community tank, and put a grate to seperate them.

Preeda

Preeda_Lim
01-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Hi all,

They just spawned again in the community tank but with in sperate space for both of them. However young male eat up all eggs after female did her job. not fert. but eat immediately. So what to do? ??? for the next time.

Preeda l.

Carol_Roberts
01-22-2003, 03:24 AM
Leave them where they are for a while and fatten them back up before you try to move them into their own breeding tank again.
CArol :heart1: