PDA

View Full Version : is heater suppose to decrease the temp as well?

flyclassic22
01-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Hi, i've set my heater to 28 degrees, but however my thermometer after a while still reads 31.. is heater suppose to decrease temp also, ?

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2003, 02:41 AM
The heater just shuts off if the water is warmer than the preset temperature of the heater.

You need to check the accuracy of the thermometer in the tank AND the accuracy of the hearter. Just because the dial says 28 doesn't mean that's the temperature it really heats the water to.

Same with those inexpensive thermometers they can be off several degrees!
Carol :heart1:

Jeff
01-18-2003, 02:15 PM
It is very common for the dial settings to be off on heaters. That is why you need to use a thermometer and adjust the heater accordingly. :)

BlueTurquoise
01-19-2003, 09:07 PM
While we are on the topic, I keep frozen coke bottles full of tap water in the freezer in the summer months just in case temperatures get out of hand.
For eg. Saturday was a whopping 44 deg C (111 F) in Sydney. IT WAS A STINKER!!! My car was hot even to the touch even though it was sitting the undercover parking lot!

In the case that temps go too high I just pop one into the tank for as long as it needs to be in there. Mind you I have not had to resort to this method is quite a few years...

Chong