PDA

View Full Version : WHITE feces :(

fossil
01-18-2003, 09:57 PM
Hello, it's been about a month now since I got my first discus, all seemed to be going great untill about a week ago. :(.......................... I was going to wait to get discus untill I got a larger tank in about 5 months but when I was at my LFS I saw two of the best looking discus I have ever seen with my own eyes..... I mean grade A(perfect shape, great color, both in front of tank both had big bellys and great fins)

Well anyway they are about a little more then 2 inches long. They are both in a 20 gallon, no other fish. Both were eating great for the first two weeks and hanging out together. But about a week ago one of them stoped eating and had white feces hanging from it. Could this be caused by the other one picking on it at feeding time? I mean all fish kinda push eachother around at feeding time. The agression between the fish were about equal. But one became the boss of the other one but only at feeding time.
Both still hang out, the boss gets more food then he wants but the other one still has white feces, and I don't see him eat.

what should I do?-salt?If so how what kind of salt. -remember I'm what you call a newbie.

could it be worms?

thanks for your time

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2003, 11:48 PM
If discus is dark in color, hiding in back of tank, not eating and has white stringy feces You will want to get metronidazole (sold as hex-a-mit).

Is your 20 gallon bare bottom? If not do you have another tank of 10 gallons or more that is?

Metro treatment: Raise tempt to 92+. After a 50% water change add 400 - 500 mg metro per 10 gallons daily for three days. Keep heat up for a week after treatment. Feed sparingly - favorite treats. May take a week to start eating good.

If no improvement you can do a second course, 400 mg every 8 hours, daily 50% wc for 4 days. Keep heat up for a week . . . .

Two is not a good number for discus, three is worse.
Carol :heart1:

fossil
01-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Hey thanks Carol, I know 2 is not a good number but as I said I was going to wait till I got a 40 gallon in a few months but I wanted to give it a try. Every thing was great till a few days ago, the one just doesn't seem to be interested in food any more. Color has not changed since I got him (still light in color, stress bars are light)

I have them in a 20 gallon, bottom lightly graveled, with a few plastic plants in the middle of the tank. I put the plants down the middle of the tank so they would be able to have a territory. But from what I see they both enjoy eachothers company.

But the one doesn't eat??? ???

I'm not sure what I sould do- should I seperate them and see if I can the the one to eat?

I have about five 10 gallon tanks.

What if I put some epsion salt (sp?) in the tank would that make the one want to eat?

fossil
01-19-2003, 02:27 PM
epsom salt***

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 02:31 PM
IF the gravel is really light and tank really clean treat both in the 20. Raise temp, etc. as listed before. You can put a divider in the tank if one is harassing the other.
CArol :heart1:

fossil
01-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks Carol for all the help you've given me, not just in this post but all my other questions as well!!!

I'm not sure about the metro treatment any more. The one doesn't have white feces any more and doesn't hid in the back of the tank. So I may just try some salt as the one guy did with his BD that wasn't eating.( sorry can't remember the name)

But what kind of salt? Aquarium Salt sold in LFS for salt water fish or something different.

Thanks Carol but now hes just not eating so I feel if I use the metro you talked about I might be treating for something he doesn't have.

Any new ideas Carol?

thanks!

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Epsom salt is a laxitive to help fish poop.

Table salt, rock salt, kosher salt are all salts we can eat. These salts help with gill function and will reduce bacteria and fungus in high enough concentrations.

Neither epsom or regular salt increases appetite. Heat does increase appetite because it increases metabolism. Any disease will run it's course faster at higher heats too. (Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it's not.)

Raised temps, regular eating salt (at 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons for a week or two) and extra water changes are all good things that will not hurt your discus and may give the immune system a chance to kick in and do it's job.

Carol :heart1:

fossil
01-19-2003, 08:20 PM
OK I'll add some regular eating(table salt) salt to their tank tom. and see if that helps.

I've tried to think of a new way to say thanks but I think I've used them all. So........
- 8)thanks