PDA

View Full Version : Malkron for fungus on eggs.

troy
01-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Hi

Wanting to find out if Malkron (Malachite green 0.2%w/v in aqueous solution) would be any good for preventing the fungus on eggs.
The local pet shop thinks this would be ok to use.
Dose anyone know , if so what would be the dose rate on eggs.

Troy

BlueTurquoise
01-20-2003, 01:51 AM
Troy,

If fungus has grown on the eggs then they are pretty much unsuccessful. Do the eggs turn white? White eggs are dead eggs. Usually if the batch were good then they would stay red/dark coloured and the parents do enough of a good job of cleaning the fluff (if any) off them. If after awhile they don't hatch and get fungus and/or turn white, if you don't remove them by hand, the parents will eat them up, ready for a new batch.

Using dies and anti fungus is not advisable if you ask me, esp on small water changes, and esp if the eggs with fungus are already dead.

Hope that helps.
Chong

troy
01-20-2003, 04:38 AM
Hi Chong

Thanks for your reply.

Both of my pairs lay about 100 eggs each per week , after 24 hrs i get 2-4 white eggs, after approx 40 hrs 50% are white on the third day most of them are white then they eat them , formalin added to the tank really did not make much difference.
I have screened them for the first time just recently and removed it once i got my first rigglers, the parents looked after them for a day before they died or were eaten, one pair had 6 rigglers and the other pair had about 12.
One pair has light tan colour eggs and turn black when they become rigglers. The other pair has gold to orange eggs and stayed similar colour when rigglers and sort of swimming around a little.

I am now trying to find away to get a larger turn out of fry.
I am doing 70% water change prior to spawning and turning off the current.
Tried 2 drops per gallon of 5%formalin to each 1litre of water 30 mins after spawning .
Hardness 108ppm , ph 7.6-7.8, temp 29

Can you see any other changes i could do to increase larger turn out .

Troy