PDA

View Full Version : Discus losing fry

Discusmeup
01-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Hi.
I have been keeping discus for a few years and only just stumbled across this site recently.
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a pair of pigeon blood discus that have bred about six times so far. I was surprised because the first time they bred the fry survived to be free swimming and then disappeared.
I put it down to the other fish in the tank.
It seems now that every time they breed the fry survive to free swimming and then scatter all over the tank and die off. The tank is about 30 gallons.
Has anyone experienced this and can offer any advice?
Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Most breeders put their pairs in 29 gallon a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter, heater and breeding cone. No other occupants. Is this the set up you are using?

If not, try a set up like this and your fry will have a much better chance of survival.

Your fry have very little chance in a community tank. There is a period when they first become free swimming that they kind of wander around until they find the parents. Predators gobble them up.

Carol :heart1:

Discusmeup
01-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Thanks Carol.
Yes I have moved them into their own tank. There is only a heater, breeding cone and filter.
It just seems that the fry scatter all over the tank and can't then find the parents.

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 07:30 PM
OK - Babies are attracted to dark colors and motion.

Are your pigeons mostly white? If yes, lighten background to white on three sides of tank.

Turn off sponge filter and lower water in tank to help babies find parents. Filter can be off for several hours. Sponge can be covered with white nylon stocking.

Tank is nice and clean with low bacteria count? Too little for fluke problems is just freeswimming I think.

Carol :heart1:

Discusmeup
01-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks.
They are mostly orange but I'll try lowering the water and turning off the filter. The tank is pretty clean and I've put white paper around three sides.
I'll perservere.
Thanks again Carol. :)

Pick
01-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Keep trying, They'll get it right eventually. Carol's advice is the same I got from others including professional breeders. I had the same problem but my female died from virus/secondary infection before I was able to fully implement the suggested methods.

Best of luck

TC

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-19-2003, 09:28 PM
I would also add that fry are distracted by to much light, room light is fine with a small night light, or put aluminum foil under about two thirds of the hood light leaveing the cone and that end of the tank dimmer.
If you cut the water current and light down on the day of freeswimming most likely you won't have to lower the water level.
With young pairs or very light colored fish I just take the sponge filter out and leave it running in a bucket of water untill the fry have been attached for several hours.
Good luck
Dennis