PDA

View Full Version : Gill flukes?

Torben
01-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Some time ago I noticed all of my discus in a tank standing at the surface snapping for air. Quickly I changed 50% water, thinking it was due to lack of oxygen since I a couple of days before deattached a diffusor from my external filter, leaving the tank without extra air supply (don't ask me why I did this - I must have been confused). My nitrate and nitrite levels was 0, pH 7,2, KH 8 and GH 13. Nothing unusual there.

The fish stopped gasping for air after the waterchange and reattachment of the diffusor. However, two individuals closes one gill, leaving the other wide open breathing heavily. Also some white substance hangs out of the gills, looking almost like wet, white toiletpaper. I suspected it might be flukes, so I treated with a broad spectred product (called eSHa 2000 which also works against parasites, bacteria and fungus). The dealer was sure it was an advantaged attack of gill flukes, and that esha 2000 was too mild to cure the attack. So he ordered med another product called Gyrotox, which is more specific against flukes.

But I am sure that it is a gill fluke attack?

I hate to treat too much in my tank. I almost never treat for anything, but in the last periode I have treated for gill flukes, hexamita and need to make a salt cure for an propable opstipation situation. So yet another treatment for flukes will hurt my heart if it is not absolutely nessecary.

What do you think about all this???

Regards and thanks,
Torben