PDA

View Full Version : Help me treat my runt please!

heavyp83
01-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I put my 2" runt into a 10 gallon hospital tank yesterday, and 24 hours later he has barely moved from behind the sponge. He in't eating, either. Should I add any medication, salt, or should I just wait it out and hope for the best? Thanks!

:drummer: :guitarist: :singer:

01-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Hmmm,

How attached are you? Sometimes it's a better to just replace them.

JMO

Mike

heavyp83
01-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Well, I don't want to kill him, I'm going to do my best to help the little guy.

Carol_Roberts
01-21-2003, 02:14 AM
So he is hiding behind the sponge and not eating. anything else? Dark color, cloudy eyes,etc?

CArol :heart1:

heavyp83
01-21-2003, 11:59 AM
Carol

He's perfectly normal besides not eating and hiding. I was thinking that maybe on friday when my blackworms come in, that will help jumpstart his appetite, what do you think? thanks!

EthanCote.com
01-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Hi,

Why did you remove him in the first place?

Am I correct in assuming it wasn't diseased related but rather more of a stress thing from being remove that has caused him to hide?

If that is the case, perhaps try raising the temp a few degrees higher? (not sure what is the current temp). I believe adding 1 tblsp/10 gallons of salt will help to relieve some stress.

Perhaps add a few more ornaments or potted plants in the tank to make him feed more at ease?

Not sure if the above suggestions will help but I wish you all the best.

To get him to eat, whatever was his favourite food, try feeding him that. It might help to get his appetite back.

Cheers,

Chi.

heavyp83
01-21-2003, 03:31 PM
It's not disease related, he was swimming around normally in his other tank. The reason for his removal was to fatten him up before I give him away to a friend who wants to try keeping discus. The temperature is currently at 85. What kind of salt should I put in there? Thanks!

EthanCote.com
01-21-2003, 05:54 PM
You can use any kind of salt such as aquarium salt or kosher salt. Just remember to replace the lost of salt during WC. I suggest using the salt treatment for only a few days and no more.

Also the live blackworm your are getting will most likely peak his interest in food.

I wish you all the luck. And it is a great thing you are doing for a friend.

Cheers,

Chi.

Carol_Roberts
01-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Discus don't like being by themselves. He may quit eating simply from loneliness. Yes, raise the temp a couple of degrees, try the cbw. You can always put him back in the main tank with a divider to feed him. . . .
CArol :heart1: