PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Sponge Filters and aeration

Marksor
01-20-2003, 07:43 PM
QUESTION: what aeration works best with Hydro sponge filters? Is it a Powerhead, pump with Air Stone? Other? What Powerhead or Air Pump do you like best?

I've never purchased the Hydro filters, and would appreciate any feedback on what aeration works best for you. Thanks.

redlines
01-20-2003, 08:12 PM
I use Hydro Sponges with airstones in all of my tanks with one nice linear pump to push the air. It works great for me. I believe that most people who use the sponges due so in a similar manner.

You are correct that you could use a power head, which would increase the volume pulled into the sponge, but I have no need for any extra flow volume or for more electicity consumption no matter how small. :)

Andy

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 06:38 PM
I use Hydros with air pump and no air stone at all. I just plug the line straight from the pump to the hydrosponge (which has a 8mm connection built in just for that).

It pays in the long run to get a good air pump by the way...

Chong

Ryan
01-21-2003, 06:48 PM
I use Hydros with air pumps (no airstone) in my main tanks, but in my angelfish fry tanks I use them with airstones for finer bubbles. I do this because it seems to create less current. Without the airstone in place, my little angel fry were getting sucked up into the current and blown all around the tank :-\

Ryan

Marksor
01-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks all - what brand/model of air pump do you like? I bought a Tetra Tetratec Pump and returned it because it is too noisy. My LFS tells me the Rena pumps are good because they are quiet ....

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 08:56 PM
I have seen a Rena 100 in action, it is quiet. Anything German make is pretty good (and expensive too!)

Chong

01-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I use a LPH26 air pump to run all my sponge fillters and airstones. Each tank has two double stacked Hydro V and an airstone plus the tanks all Have AquaClear 500.

HTH
Miles

allan_mark76
01-23-2003, 06:00 PM
I only use the Hydro Sponges V with a Rena Air pump. The rena air pump is sooooooooooo queit. You can get them real cheap at www.bigalsonline. Also you can get real cheap hydro sponges from Jeff at www.discusfarm.us. JMHO

A-

spartyblaze
01-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Ditto - I use Hydro-Sponge w/o airstones.... seems to be ok after a small disaster a couple weeks ago after removing a UGF from the tank.

Discusgeo
01-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Marksor I build my own sponge filters and just use a plain ait line at the bottom. Here is the sponge filter I make from a course material that does really great. You will notice that each piece is 4 1/2" X 4 1/2" X 1" thick and the center hole is cut out to fit over a 3/4" piece of PVC. When I put mine togethere I just glue a 3/4" slip fitting on the tile and then slip the PVC tube into it. I do not glue the sponge to the tile. This make it easy to squeeze them out once every other month. I can also add as many pieces of sponge material to my filter as I want. I usually make mine with 3 pieces but have gone up to 6. The reason for this is because when I need to start a new filter for my babies I just take 1 piece of the cycled sponge off this filter and add it to new pieces. I now have and instant cycled sponge filter and I don't kill any fish waiting for one to go thru the whole 6 week process. If anyone needs the sponge only I sell them for $2.00 each piece so 3 pieces is $6.00 plus your added expense of shipping. I think I have about 60 left but haven't counted them in a while. I am in Phoenix, Arizona.
George
Email:discusgeo2@netscape.net
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/940468.jpg