PDA

View Full Version : PRIME

Tonyintx
01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Just a quich question what is this "PRIME" stuff and what is it used for????? ???

Lynn
01-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Tony,

"Prime" is a water conditioner made by Seachem. It removes chlorine,chloramines, and neutralizes ammonia.
Its a lot of bang for the buck...1ml will treat 10gallons of water. I use 1 ml for 5g becuase I have high levels of chloramines and its easier to remember to squirt some in each bucket that I fill. Many people like and use it.
HTH ;D
Lynn

DarkDiscus
01-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Prime is a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals from the water for those of us with municipal water supplies.

It seems to work very well and a little goes a long way.

John

Tonyintx
01-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Does it help with the cycling of a newly setup tank???

nalah
01-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Hi tonyintx

i am still a learner (in hobby 12 months)but have been using it since day one.
i will tell you what i know,then the experts can add to it later.

PRIME - a water conditioner.it removes the chlorine,chloramines and also amonia in tap water.
It is a safe product to use because you cannot overdose with it. in fact,should you get an amonia or nitrAte or nitrIte spike,you can actually double the dose to help lower them.
of course,you need to do large water changes also,but thats another subject.

word of warning - the use of PRIME can give you a false amonia reading.

as i am in australia,i can only compare with our other products here... it is the most economical water conditioner.very concentrated. expensive to buy but the cheapest in the long term.

gary1218
01-21-2003, 11:42 PM
DON'T BUY PRIME.................. buy Pond Prime :D It's the EXACT same thing just in a bigger jug and the cost per ounce is way less.

GARY

01-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Gary, Right on! 2 litre of pond prime is what works here. About $38 and lasts a good bit! Joe ;)

01-22-2003, 01:47 AM
John, I don't believe Prime removes heavy metals. Just Chlorine Chloramine and Ammonia. Detioxifies Nitrites and Nitrates. Joe

Ryan
01-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Joe,

According to Prime's website, it does help with heavy metals, though I've never tried it for this and I've never heard it mentioned. You can read the product description here:

http://www.seachem.com/en_products/product_pages/043_prime.html

Ryan

edgeguy
01-22-2003, 10:25 AM
How does Novaqua compare to Prime?

01-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Ryan, Thanks--I knew about the claim--I just don't believe it. I should've expanded on it. It does not remove them--I think that can only be done by a deionizer or R/O or some type of other fitration methods I am unaware of. The web site says detoxifies. IMO, Prime is the best product of it's kind. Joe :)

allan_mark76
01-23-2003, 05:58 PM
I use PRIME on the sole basis that it's a CONCENTRATE meaning 1ml per 10 gallons is a life saver versus the other dechlor chemicals out there....

A-