PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time For A Standerized Grading Form To Grade All Sellers and Breeders On?

samcatj
01-21-2003, 07:18 PM
After reading, MOVED:Be Careful What You Wish For-
I wondered why this site does not change its policy and allow it membership to post the names of breeders who supply fish of poor quality and service of an even lesser extent. There could be a standerized grading form for members to rate breeders and suppliers on the quaility of the discus purchased and service. I understand and fully respect the fact that this site does not want to be in the business of grading breeders but I also feel factual information with names of breeders and sellers this site has a responsibility and an obligation to let its members report on for the total benefit of its other members.
There is nothing wrong with reporting about a bad experience that you had with a breeder as long as it is done in a tasteful manner which is what a standerized form would allow you to do. I find it difficult to understand that we don't allow names of unethicial breeders to be mentioned over this site yet we let them go unamed and let more members and guests possibly purchase from them knowing all the while the fish and service that they are providing are poor and not up to acceptable standards. Someone help me understand this. I'm not moving towards letting someone go on a negative tirade about there experience just merely anwser a few questions about there dealings with that particular person or company. To make it even more legitimate and fair that person answering the form would need to post his name after completing the form otherwise it would not be accepted.
If we get great fish and service from someone like Mike Wells dba A Discus Dream, Cary dba GLD or another quality breeder we generally read about it through a testimonial post or pictures that the buyer posts. If we get poor quality fish and poorer service which is generally the case we as members owe it to our other members to report back into the site so all members know about it. The grading secition could be done through a number of standerized questions with anwsers ranging from poor to excellent. What a great way to discourage unethicial breeders and suppliers why rewarding those who hold there fish, service and most importantly themselves as breeders and hobbyists to the highest of standards.
A POSITIVE standerized grading format tastefully done would go a long ways towards rewarding those who are so deserving of the attention while policing and doing away with unethicial breeders and sellers. Just my opinion and I thank you for letting me express it.

Samcatj

Ryan
01-21-2003, 07:24 PM
When this website started, those comments were allowed. We had several problems. People would post their bad experiences with fish and then the breeder/seller would sign up an account here and defend him/herself, and rather than having a nice, mature conversation the thread would quickly turn into a mud-slinging match. Accusations, petty name-calling, you name it. Our policy regarding breeder/seller comments was put into place not because we wanted to keep folks from hearing about others' bad experiences, but because people in general seemed to have a problem with doing it in a mature and decent fashion.

Pictures and bad experiences are welcomed but we ask that you leave out the name of the breeder/seller on the public forum. If people want to know where the fish came from, they can e-mail/instant message the person who posted them and ask.

Sites like DAAH have started the ground-work for a "Certified Breeders Program" and they may have something similar (a grading system) that is worth looking into. You can find a link to DAAH on the bottom-right of the forum or by going here: http://daah.info.

Ryan

samcatj
01-21-2003, 07:37 PM
That is why I suggested using a standerized format then you eliminate any other descriptions of fish or service besides the questions that you are presented with and the poor to excellent grade that you can give. I understand that this site does not want to get into a mud slinging critique about someone's expeience, I do not either. I just want to give members some way to grade out there experience not report on it.

Samcatj

Don_Lee
01-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi Samcatj,

This issue has been addressed many times, and is not debatable. Thanks for your input, but the topic is locked.

Don