PDA

View Full Version : Tank dimensions

jamie111
01-21-2003, 07:37 PM
I am getting a new tank constructed now with these dimensions...L=65cm W=40cm H=49cm. Are these dimensions suitable for a discus tank?

dm
01-21-2003, 08:01 PM
That tank is pretty small for Discus. They might be little to begin with but they get big really quick. They need more room than most other fish do. I would go with the biggest tank you can get. ;D

ChloroPhil
01-22-2003, 10:07 AM
If you're getting a tank custom built make the tank as long and tall as you can afford. I'd say a minimum length would be 90cm and height at 45cm. Width is really nice for depth of field when planting. I'd say a minimum of 60cm to give your fish enough room to swim around.

A good rule of thumb is to make the tank three times longer, half again taller, and twice as wide as the maximum adult size of the fish, rounding up for safety. Assume a 9" fish, round up to a foot long. That would make the tank 3 feet long (90cm), a foot and a half high (45cm), and two feet deep/wide (60cm). That will give your fish the room they need to maneuver freely about their home.

Those dimensions roughly equal 60 US gallons or 231 Liters if I've got my conversions right.