PDA

View Full Version : Black Worm culture

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Hi guys.

Lay it on me, Tell me everything I need to know to sucessfully culture my own black worms, whether it is do-able or I will be wasting my time. Basically I want to check out it's feesibility. I have read everything that search has found for me on Simply but I have more questions. There is some good info from DPH:

http://www.dph.nl/sub-article/cat-01/blackworm1.shtml

but it doesn't mention what temperatures? I know you need to keep them real cold to keep them alive but what about for breeding purposes? filtration? All they mention is constant airation. Surely they will do better with filtration or water changes (hehe bad habit). I basically want enough worms to feed about 8 juveniles 3-4 times a day with lots of black worms.

Sources for worms here in Australia is mysterious and a taboo subject amongst the poeple who sell them (to me it sounds like that). If Dan wants to ship his californian black worms over to Australia every week at the same prices offered to US customers I would be more than happy to take a year long subscription! ;D Unforntunately we are waaay down here...

Thanks! I really appreciate any info!
Chong

brewmaster15
01-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Hi Chong ,
I have looked into this and experimented extensively...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1356

The author of that paper you referenced , Dr Charles Drewes is a very good expert on blackworms, and I have contacted him by email many times with questions on blackworm culture , and diseases.

The bottom line is yes you can culture them, but its not easy or practical, for the type of feeding Discus people do. These worms do not sexually reproduce normally. They reproduce by breaking into pieces, which then grow into worms. Even Dan at aquatic cultures them by asexual means.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

-al

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 11:29 PM
That's ok Al,

how come this thread did not come up in search... hmmm

Thanks again Mate! dissapointing but I have to look for a more secure means of feeding my fish. Compost worms looks the best option at the moment...

Supplement. After reading the tread I have decided I will give it a go. I have nothing to lose! I will let you know how I go! I have a few spare tanks, air pumps and space in the garage (nice and dark).

Chong

nalah
01-22-2003, 06:34 AM
good luck,you'll need it.

BTW - keep a real close eye on them..as they start to die,they STINK the place out... ;D ;D

BlueTurquoise
01-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Heh i was thinking of keeping them down in the garage... besides I have about 3 emty tanks down there at the moment. Say... do you reckon I could set up a fish room down there??? hmmm that's a thought...

Anyway Pascale I really have to talk to you about it and get your expertise on this topic.

Chong