PDA

View Full Version : growth on dorsal fin

cod
01-22-2003, 08:45 AM
two days ago I noticed a white growth about the size of a grain of white rice growing straight up on one of the spines of the dorsal fin of my discus. today I have noticed the beginning of a white spot on the side of his body. I seem to remember a similiar discussion on a discus web site about a similiar problem but I can't remember which one.
does anyone have any experience with this condition.

Francisco_Borrero
01-22-2003, 12:41 PM
In my limited experience, these things happen sometimes (I don't really know the agent that causes them), and they go away very quickly just with lots of water changes. When I see stuff like that, I make sure everything is very clean, add salt @ at least 3 tbs/10gallon (sometimes more) for 2-3 days, and change lots of water. Generally 2-3 days later the fish is fully recovered with no scar or any other problems.
HTH. Cheers, Francisco.

heavyp83
01-22-2003, 03:35 PM
This is funny, I was just about to post with the same problem when I saw this one, hehe. I noticed last night that one of my red turks had a "grain of salt" on his dorsal fin. I raised the temperature to 90 and put 1 tbs. per 10 gallons salt. Today the spot looks a bit smaller but still not gone. Think I should add more salt?

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2003, 01:51 AM
You can add more salt if you like, no need to raise the temp. I think extra water changes are the key. Is your tank heavily stocked?

Carol :heart1:

heavyp83
01-23-2003, 03:32 PM
I have 6 3-4 inchers in a 40 gallon tank. Now I have 2 tbs. per 10 gallons salt. The spot hasn't gotten bigger since yesterday but it hasn't gotten smaller either. Fish still is doin fine though.

RichieE
01-23-2003, 04:09 PM
I was getting what you describe from time to time. It would grow straight out from the fin and sometimes even break through the other side. It never seemed to bother the fish. After trying salt a few times (Which worked temporarly) and a couple of meds I asked Cary at Great Lakes what I should do. He said they sounded like copods and were probally nothing to worry about. I let them go and after a few weeks they fell off completely. I have not seen them in about 3 months.
Make sure the water in your changes has the same parameters as the tank water. I noticed a temperature swing can bring this on for some reason. HTH Rich

heavyp83
01-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks Rich! Thats just what I wanted to hear!