PDA

View Full Version : Discus Not for Travelers?

Bruce
01-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Hello,

Used to own Oscars successfully for many years with nery a problem. No fish now but want to start back up, with 4 discus this time in a 40 gal. Okay, I would go 55 if everybody yells, but the big issue now is not space, but time. Lately, I've taken to long trips away from home and it looks like I'll be away for 4-6 weeks at a time each year, and a couple of weeks at a time in between. I think I can use Tetra bits through a timed feeder but food may not be the issue either. This daily water change thing is a shock to me, as I am accustomed to quarterly changes with the oscars, along with monthly carbon renewals alongside the 4 bio-wheels, UG filter, and airstones; and the fish grew large with vibrant colors, very active and never got sick in the 15 years I had them, and occasional ammonia and nitrate tests always looked good. Just tell me I have to make partial water changes daily and I'll go away , as I don't like other people in my home while I am gone.

Thanks for your input.

ReeferKimberly
01-23-2003, 02:27 AM
i just got back from a three day snowboard trip and i came home to some very unhappy discus. my fish are used to 50% w/cs every day and i thought they would be ok w/out one for 3 days. this may sound absurd but in my experience this is what works and i'm sticking to it. i'm even considering not going on my families week long summer trip so i can stay home and clean my fish..... ::)

kim :-*

Jeff
01-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Bruce,

If you are going to be gone multiple weeks at a time and you do not want anyone in your house discus might not be the best choice for you. At least you are getting info up front rather than finding out the hard way.

DarkDiscus
01-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Bruce,

I have to agree that trips of that sort of duration make it pretty much impossible to keep discus. Of course if you went with a really big tank with only a few discus and massive filtration you COULD do it...

I think there are other fish that can handle the lack of attention a lot better. You can always move to discus when you have more time.

John

01-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Bruce,

You've definitely got great advise here. Altho it would be great to see another Discus addict, if it were me (given your situation) I would save myself the heartache and money. Once you buy just one you are hooked and these guys take a lot of time!...

Julz :)

allan_mark76
01-23-2003, 05:55 PM
I'll take care of them.... Discus is kinda like walking and feeding your dog while your away.... what you need to do is train somebody you TRUST to take care of your Discus while you are away. Trust me it'll work out in the long run if something happens i.e. getting wisdom teeth pulled out.

A-