PDA

View Full Version : one discus, two discus, three discuss + new?

Dangerdoll
01-23-2003, 12:25 PM
ok, here's the deal. I've been intrigued with discus for a couple years now and did a lot of reading, research, and looking/contemplating while at several different lfs's. A couple of weeks ago, I finallt took the big step and purchased 3 - 3" babies...... (1 cobalt blue, 1 pigeon blood red, and one green/turquoise) and am very happy with them all. Here's my dilemma. In the things I've been reading most recently, it seems that I should have at least 4. Would you think I should go out and get a couple more, if not at least 1? AND if I do this, will there be problems with the 3 I already have in getting along with the newcomer(s) or will there be a bit of fighting at first? It's a 55 gallon tank so I can't go too crazy with additions..... ;)

chirohorn
01-23-2003, 01:35 PM
It'd probably be best to add 3 more around the same size. The 55 gallon tank could accomodate them even as they become adults. Most folks around here would also forewarn you to quarantine the new fish in a separate aquarium to observe for diseases before adding to the existing tank...good luck.

Jeff
01-23-2003, 01:55 PM
I agree. At least 2 more. :)

lkleung007
01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi Dangerdoll;

If you are going to add new Discus, make sure you quarantine the new arrivals for 6-8 weeks!! In a 55 gallon tank, you can comfortably keep 6 adults with good clean water and nutritous foods.

HTH, Lester

Ryan
01-23-2003, 03:16 PM
That depends... tell us more about the 55 gallon. Is it bare-bottom or planted/substrate? Are there other inhabitants besides the discus?

Ryan

allan_mark76
01-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Buy six - all at the same time and make sure to raise them in a BB tank. I know it's gonna be hard but do water changes everyday. You'll be suprised as to how fast they grow and stay healthy. Also set up a routine. I do my WC either in the morning or right when I get home after work. Rountine is the key.
Trust me I've been in your shoes.
A-

Dangerdoll
01-23-2003, 08:41 PM
ok, well I have a gravel bottom, some live plants, 2 angels (slightly smaller than the discus and they seem to get along), a lemon pleco, a gold nugget pleco, and a few cories. oh, and 2 bumblebee gobies.......I used to have dwarf puffers in there but decided to take them out when I went with the Discus. Does this sound ok?

oh, plus the 3 discus....

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Erm no, that doesn't sound OK for discus.

Minus the discus it sounds like a nice community tank. You can raise juvenile discus in a community tank like this, however the success rate is much lower and generally the discus turn out much smaller than those raised by themselves in a bare bottom tank.
Carol :heart1:

Dangerdoll
01-23-2003, 10:10 PM
ok, so do you think if I remove the other occupants, I can keep the tank as it is... meaning with the substrate and plants or do you think I should get a whole new setup for them?

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2003, 10:25 PM
The best way to grow out baby discus is a bare bottom tank, No gravel, no plants, no decoration, no other species.

When the discus are grown you can add them to a community tank if you wish.

CArol :heart1:

Dangerdoll
01-23-2003, 10:54 PM
gotcha, will work on that this weekend. But now here's another problem. What I will do is get another tank (55 gallon I suppose) and set that up but then comes the whole cycle process. Should I take some water from the original tank (the one they're in now) and maybe use one of the biobags in the filter with the new set-up in order to get things going more quickly? (sorry for all the naivety)

Carol_Roberts
01-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Fresh water - let everything run overnight to make sure no leaks, temp is correct, and pH stablized. Then put discus in tank and biobag from cycled filter and you'll be good to go :thumbsup:

Carol :heart1:

Dangerdoll
01-24-2003, 10:42 AM
ahhh....thanks for all your help...... will be a busy weekend for me for sure!! I guess it's all in a day's learning ;)