PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin Question

01-24-2003, 04:23 AM
Hi All

I am looking for a Liquid Vitamin to add to food.
I have read a hell lot of post's here were almost everyone mentions that they add Vitamins to there Beefh. Mix or to there Frozen food. I do not intend to put it in the Water.

I have used in the early 80's a German product called Vitazon combined with a product called Osspulvit Pulver(was recommend from Mr. Degen at that time)
The Vitamins C, D3, B1, B2,B6, B12 E, and Calciumphosphat,
Calciumflourid were the ingredients of those 2 Products.

Well since I am here in the US now, not knowing anything ???about the products here I would appreciate any help. Especially with names and sources of the products you guy's use.

Oh by the way I have no Kids so that would also be Rocket Sience for me. (the products for Kids that is ;D)

Thank's in advance for you help.

Ronald

gary1218
01-24-2003, 08:13 AM
I know a couple of the top breeders on this site add liquid baby vitamins to their beef heart mixes.

I used to buy inexpensive generic multi-vitamin pills and just crush them up with a pill crusher and sprinkle over the beef heart.

GARY

01-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Thank's Gary

Anymore input out of 1348 Members ???

Ronald

Aquatic_Design
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Ronald,
I just crush regular women's multi-vitamins and add them to the BH.
HTH
Donna :)

01-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks Donna

allan_mark76
01-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Ronald to save yourself some time and money just drive to a local drug store and pick up some multi-vitamins. It's just more efficient that way. All you have to do is fold a couple of cloth paper towels. Place the vitamins within the folded towels and BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG till your hearts galore. BANG BANG BANG. Then take the BANG BANG BANG crushed multivitamins and add them into your BH mis. BANG BANG BANG your all done. It's not messy and BANG BANG BANG your all done.

A-

01-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks Allan

do you mean bang like this :smash::smash::smash::smash:

;D

Ronald

allan_mark76
01-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Exactly.

You know what I'm thinking...maybe Discus Essentials may or may might now work out for you...it's in a bottle. I believe it's made by SEACHEM.

A-

Don_Lee
01-24-2003, 10:21 PM
I think Discus Essential by Seachem is for addition to the water and not the food. I believe if you check Mike Wells website, adiscusdream.com, he has a recipe for beefheart, as does Jeff at discusfarm.us.

Don

01-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks all for your Response.

Ronald

wo
01-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi Renold:

I put the"Poly.Vi. Sol"vitamin drops for baby from Mead Johnson in the hamburger. So far no side effect on discus.
FYI. I once put the out of date "Centrum" tablet into the tank but soon found the water became slippery and kind of dirty. Next time I got rid of the coating of the tablet and threw it in the tank. The water no longer got cloudy.

paul_burney
01-25-2003, 11:26 AM
hi Ronald
I just use a cheap liquid baby vitamin that you can buy at your local drug store it works for me:)
Paul

fishfarm
01-25-2003, 01:46 PM
I use organic multi vitamins, (Nature's Own) they are easier to crush than the coated ones and that way I don't have to worry about anything "extra" that might be in there that would react with the water. A few shots of codliver oil can also be added to the beefheart. Ken

shamsoo
01-25-2003, 01:55 PM
wash the protective coating, soak the tablet in some water until it disolves then mix it in the BH mix

01-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks all for you help.

Now I have a clue what I need ;D

Ronald

brewmaster15
01-25-2003, 09:03 PM
This seems like a good place to ask it, but How much vitamen is everyone using? and why do you use as much as you do?

I used to use them alot in my food mixes...mostly human vitamens crushed up. Funny thing is I can't take them myself... they make me sick to my stomach, with or without food. One day I was reading the label and saw how much of each vitamen was in each pill, and had a thought ....

"GEEZE thats alot of vitamen for an average guy of 150-250 pounds. and thats a dose of one a day. Now if I make 5lbs of beef heart and throw a FEW of those in.... how much is the fish getting if I feed it that mix once a day and the fish weighs under a pound? " I never calculated the answer, but I use far less now than I did before, and I just feed a diverse diet. ;D

With a diverse healthy diet, you technically shouldn;t need too much additional vitamens, in both your diet and your fishes :)

hth,
al

01-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Well since I started I might give the first answer ;D

In the early 80's I did supplempt the food with vitamins and it appeared to me the fish were doing much better. Maybe that was just wish thinking.
I feed now BS, Bloodw., Mysis and ON F1 ( all frozen), and I don't feed BH or BW or any kind of live food.
I have not backup but I don't think they get as much as they need.
I use (well I just started to) during 1 feeding 2 drops which I let the food thaw (hope that’s the right word) in.
I hope to achieve that the fish get more natural resistance.

Ronald