PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

ian
01-24-2003, 07:22 AM
As a newcomer to the forum (I have been reading it for a couple of months, and think the info it provides is great), I have not seen anything on a couple of points which interest me.

1. How long should I expect discus to live if healthy etc., after seeing a story in the UK press this morning, about a 43 year old goldfish, I wondered if there were any discus records? I remeber someone saying 6 or 7 years is normal for discus, but I would be interested.

2. How do people feel about the sustainability of discus caught in the wild? Maybe I should have found out before I bought 4 wilds a month ago (beautiful fish who are really confident and happy eaters), and I would like to believe that what is taken for us fishkeepers does not damage the long term viability of the species, but as I say, I have not read anything.

I have been keeping discus for a few years now, currently I have 11 in a 100 gallon tank, and the forum has certainly re-enthused me, and I would now like to try breeding at some stage.........

Many thanks.

p.s. I don't see too many UK flags on the forum, presumably there are others out there?

DarkDiscus
01-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Ian,

There are a number of you brits out there. I'm sure they will say hello in short order. I haven't had discus long enough to say how long MINE have/will lived/live, but I've seen a few 6+ years and they seem to start to fade a bit in color at that point. Obviously the key is in the treatment of the fish.

Similar sized cichlids I've raised include green severum - I had one live 7 years, oscars also 7 years and I now have a nicaraguan cichlid who as of 4/12/03 I will have owned him for 9 years, and he looks pretty good. Discus, I am certain, will be able to last that long as well.

Welcome to the board!

John