PDA

View Full Version : New Beginning

Gnome
01-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Okay, Last nite, I set up my 15g tank to a BT

Bluish SS Red Turq X Reddish SS Red Turq
though I'm still not sure if this red turqs..below is pic of them in my 29g tank when the first time I purchased it.
my setup:
- 15 gallon tank (one 15watts light)
- Water Param: 5 dGH w/ RO ( tap water is 9dGh )
6.5 w/ small CO2 setup (was 7.4)
3 dKH
Normal Conductivity? (don't have any conductivity tester)
- submersible heater, set to 83F
- Inverted Pot, similar to Larry's
- Syphon Filter
- BBS hatching kit is ready to use,
- I will get Live BS this weekend
Am I ready to go?
I wonder if the CO2 is fine? cause I don't want the fry die because of CO2 poisoning...

larry lob
01-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Hi gnome,

Nice fishies mate. Firstly for breeding discus only need a bare bottom tank, no decorations or plants, but the choice is yours.
What kind of filtration do you have in there? you only need an air driven sponge fliter.

they may or may not spawn on the cone or they could spawn on anything from the glass to the heater.

as to the co2 i don't use it but that doesn't mean it's no good.

my setup is simple put at best........... tank, 2 heaters (optional) 2 sponge filters, themometer, cone, water and fish.

good food, good water, peace and a willing pair is all that is needed.

my water is 84, ph 7.5 gh 3, kh <1. conductivity ????? no meter.

My fish have bread sucsessfuly and are curently with 471 eggs of 36 18 hours.

pic of the love nest below.

HTH good luck mate

Larry

Gnome
01-27-2003, 05:24 AM
WOW Nice Discus Larry, how big are they? 8inch?
mine is 5.5" and a 6", I only have one syphon filter, I just removed them to BT tank, Hopefully they breed.

larry lob
01-27-2003, 05:37 AM
Hi,

Thanks gnome, they are 7inch fish, they have spawned and i have babies (thread ..... Finaly sucsess)

they now seem to have a habit of super spawns of 400 eggs plus resulting in only 30 - 50 wrigglers!!!!!

Larry

Gnome
01-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi,

Thanks gnome, they are 7inch fish, they have spawned and i have babies (thread ..... Finaly sucsess)

they now seem to have a habit of super spawns of 400 eggs plus resulting in only 30 - 50 wrigglers!!!!!

Larry

oh wow 400 eggs, nice..so larry how're your eggs, they hatched yet?
my breeding pair is starting to pick on the cone, hopefully they will breed soon...

larry lob
01-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi Gnome,

Thanks for the intrest. They are now free swimming but again from close to 400 eggs there are no more than 90 free swimmers.

try doing a big water change with water 4degrees lower than tank water.

Then watch them go! good luck and thanks again.

Larry

Gnome
01-30-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi Gnome,

Thanks for the intrest. They are now free swimming but again from close to 400 eggs there are no more than 90 free swimmers.

try doing a big water change with water 4degrees lower than tank water.

Then watch them go! good luck and thanks again.

Larry

Good Going Larry, so How're they doing rite now?
My pair spawned for the second time, yesterday at 6pm, I already add maroxy, and turn off all the filters, after several hours I'm turning on the filter again, What should I do next? suddenly I forget all the things I've read on this board ..haha I guess: study alot - forget alot, study abit - forget abit, study not - forget not (well, nothin to be memorized though :)

larry lob
01-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi Gnome,

All is good and the babies are still attached.

As to what you should do next.......... if your filtration is very good then do nothing at all, Personaly i use sponge filters that i don't trust for more than 24 hours without a water change so I change about 10% of the water once a day very slowly adding water that is exact the same as the tank including temp. feed 1/4 of normal food and leave a room light on 24 hours a day.
DON'T stress them out flittering around the tank every 2 minutes, leave them alone and observe.

HTH good luck mate.

Larry

Gnome
02-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi Gnome,

All is good and the babies are still attached.

As to what you should do next.......... if your filtration is very good then do nothing at all, Personaly i use sponge filters that i don't trust for more than 24 hours without a water change so I change about 10% of the water once a day very slowly adding water that is exact the same as the tank including temp. feed 1/4 of normal food and leave a room light on 24 hours a day.
DON'T stress them out flittering around the tank every 2 minutes, leave them alone and observe.

HTH good luck mate.

Larry

Larry could you post a pic of them rearing the fry?
my eggs are hatched, they are wriggles now and still attached to the pot, parent seems still to fan the eggs/fry, I guess in a couple days they soon will make dad and mum running like crayz, btw I put maroxy and around 35-45% of eggs are fungused,
Larry is daily 10% WC is sufficient for now? or I have to get to the part where WC twice a day at least is important for the fry.

larry lob
02-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi Gnome,

Congrats on getting this far!!

unfortunatly my pair are super agressive while they have fry on thier back and make it impossible to take those pics, however trucdan recently posted a good pics in this section with attached fry http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=6534 .

your fish will probably move the wrigglers to another site so don't panic if you lose site of them, they won't start free swimming till about 36 - 48 hours as wrigglers.

if your parents are not eating much and you are not over feeding then 10%will be ok for another couple of days (twice a day would be better) but then after that the more water you change the bigger the fry get quicker.
Free swimmers are where the water counts, right now they still have thier heads in the egg sack and that is what they are eating right now.

HTH keep posting.

Larry

as to fugused eggs don't worry too much they shouldn't affect healthy eggs or wrigglers. what doesn't hatch over the next 6 - 12 hours probably won't hatch at all.

02-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi Gnome,
What kind of plants are those in the back ground of your pic? They look very nice and unique.

Gnome
02-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi Gnome,
What kind of plants are those in the back ground of your pic? They look very nice and unique.

Hi runner,
Thanks, yeah I really like that plants too, it can grow very tall
it is water Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala, the shaped of the leaves is like water lotus or heart-shaped or kidney-shaped n this plants need very good lighting.
Gnome

02-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Gnome,
Can you grow these suspended in the water or do you have to plant them? I would love to have some if they can be cultivated without substrate.

Gnome
02-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Gnome,
Can you grow these suspended in the water or do you have to plant them? I would love to have some if they can be cultivated without substrate.

Yes I think you can do it w/out substrate

Gnome
02-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi Gnome,

Congrats on getting this far!!

unfortunatly my pair are super agressive while they have fry on thier back and make it impossible to take those pics, however trucdan recently posted a good pics in this section with attached fry http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=6534 .

your fish will probably move the wrigglers to another site so don't panic if you lose site of them, they won't start free swimming till about 36 - 48 hours as wrigglers.

if your parents are not eating much and you are not over feeding then 10%will be ok for another couple of days (twice a day would be better) but then after that the more water you change the bigger the fry get quicker.
Free swimmers are where the water counts, right now they still have thier heads in the egg sack and that is what they are eating right now.

HTH keep posting.

Larry

as to fugused eggs don't worry too much they shouldn't affect healthy eggs or wrigglers. what doesn't hatch over the next 6 - 12 hours probably won't hatch at all.

Hi larry. I already see trucdan's fish, they look cool but it would be nice to look at yours too...
half of the eggs are fungused ( the parents still haven't eaten the fungused eggs, I wonder why?) and I found half of them already have eyes, and some other with only one eye and they are still attached to the cone, is this deformity or they haven't developed completely yet?
and I have found that something is keeping those fry attached to the cone, like some kind of slime( not sure what it is called ^_^'), is it probably the saliva from the parents? and I'm worried about the parents they haven't really eat, I mean really! yesterday I throw some frozen beef heart ( which is not their fav. but they still eat it sometimes ) they didn't really rush to get the food or even touch it, is it ok if I throw in some live Brine shrimp (which is their fav.) will it harm the fry? cause thier size is pretty much the same.

larry lob
02-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi Gnome,

Unfortunatly these are the best pics i have right now http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=5363
I will try and take some more of the babies now at nearly 5 weeks old but my cam is crap.

as to live brine shrimp sorry but i can't help there, i have never put them in with babies, what would worry me is the bine shrimp having a go at the babies. my fish have gone what seems like more than a week without eating but i am sure when i am not looking they must take a little (they are alive and healthy)
Look at your fish, do they look ok? if so then keep feeding little and they will be ok.
the first time mine had eggs they didn't take any fungused eggs away, i think they need to learn that those white eggs are no good, they will learn for next time.

as to one eyed fish they are still to small to know, give them time and all will be revealed, i have found that at the wriggler stage there are difrences in growth till the parents learn more.

HTH

Larry

P.s i have troublw with pics sorry

Gnome
02-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Well Larry, it is ok then don't bother w/ photos it is gonna make the parents stressed, btw My fries are nnow free swimming and the parents already cleaned the cone, and I think she's ready for the next bacth, When Can I seperate the fries? and there is some problem, the fries, won't attched to the parent, well they did a while ago, but after a while the don't attached anymore and prefer to reside at the bottom corner of the tank where the parent hangs out, the fries is more attracted to pa than ma, ma is always busy catching and spitting them back before she clenaed the cone, but pa is very patient and reliable, but now they don;t attracted to them anymore, is there anyway to make them attached, because I already try w/ hood lamp and W?out the hoodlamp. I'm frustated, oh yea the fries is about 50-75 fries
Gnome.

larry lob
02-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi Gnome,

With that amount of fry they should not readily spawn. i fogot how many days old they are but i find my fish take upto 3 days free to LOOK like they have attached fully those that are not eating look very pale in colour those that eat look black on the body, i wouldn't worry just hang back and leave them alone.

I find that tank lights are too much for my fish and they prefer room lights, so i leave them on 24/7.

HTH

Larry

P.S i had an accident with the last batch :'( o well i'll learn.

Gnome
02-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi Gnome,

With that amount of fry they should not readily spawn. i fogot how many days old they are but i find my fish take upto 3 days free to LOOK like they have attached fully those that are not eating look very pale in colour those that eat look black on the body, i wouldn't worry just hang back and leave them alone.

I find that tank lights are too much for my fish and they prefer room lights, so i leave them on 24/7.

HTH

Larry

P.S i had an accident with the last batch :'( o well i'll learn.

ok larry as your suggestion I use room light and some of the fry is now attched to the parent, but there are still some other that don't attached, and I found like 25% of the free swimming fry died, what might cause this? flukes? is this the time to put formalin? and can I put some BBS now? also w/ the parents nurturing the fry will it disturb their breeding schedule?
thanks.

larry lob
02-06-2003, 05:24 AM
Hi Gnome,

i don't think flukes are as big a problem as water quality at this stage. sure you can start introducing bbs and you'll have to ask another about formuline, i don't know how that effects slime coats. i would think the main problem is probably nitrate since i am not sure how long your tank has been running i can't say. one sign is babies hanging out at the top of the water.

the breeding scedule the parents control when they are ready they are ready, you'll know.

to recap.... test water, increase water changes, introduce bbs and ask another about the meds. most importantly hang back and enjoy.

Larry