PDA

View Full Version : Solitary Confinement

Anna Piranha
01-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Question: Is a 10 gallon tank ok for the purpose of quarantining (QT) one adult Discus?

Also, it seems to me that fish in the hospital tank and in QT are kind of mopey and sad. Forget about the really sick fish for a minute - that's a different story. Have any of you noticed how much happier they seem when they finally rejoin the rest of the group? Or is it anthropomorphism - is happiness really a quality that fish enjoy? Can a fish find happiness on his own? Ok, I'm being silly now ::)

Ryan
01-24-2003, 12:49 PM
I've quarantined little discus in 10 gallons with the right amount of water changes, but I've never tried an adult. If it's a big adult, I'd assume he'd be a little cramped. Maybe a 20 gallon would be a better choice? Yes, discus are a shoaling fish, so rejoining the group makes them a little more comfortable.

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
01-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Yes, you are correct. They do not like being by themselves. Many times it's best to medicate the whole tank (even though it's more expensive).
CArol :heart1:

Anna Piranha
01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
And other kinds of fish - say danios or tetras - they just don't do the job, do they?

Carol_Roberts
01-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Nope.
Carol :heart1: