PDA

View Full Version : Prazi and flukes

Chris-C
01-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi guys
About 6 weeks ago I noticed the fish rubbing their sides on the edge of the plastic plants in the tank and decided to treat for flukes with prazi. I used to dissolve the recommended dose in a cup of hot water and then add this to the tank ( a bare bottom 55 with some plastic plants). even after 5 min of stirring there was always quite a bit undisolved. Treated 7 times over a 21 day period. Things did well for about 2 weeks and I've now noticed the fish rubbing again and sometimes flicking their ventral fins. I was wondering if flukes came back that quickly or did I not dissolve the meds enough. I do about 30% water changes daily and ammonia and nitrites are undetectable, ph 7.6
Thanks in advance

Chris

01-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Rubbing and Scratching does not always = Flukes

Mike

Ardan
01-25-2003, 06:50 PM
For a 21 day treatment the meds are usually added every other day= 11 treatments. This is so that newly hatching flukes are killed also. Some flukes hatch every 3 days, possibly sooner depending on temp etc.

SOmetimes helps to dissolve meds with RO water
hth

Chris-C
01-25-2003, 11:31 PM
thanks Ardan I'll keep that in mind. Mike I'm curious what other things cause this ( top 5 if the list is to long) ;D ;D
Chris