PDA

View Full Version : breeding in a planted tank

Liz_Streithorst
01-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Do any of you have experience with breeding pairs in a planted tank? I've grown out Discus from 2" to 6" in a planted so I don't necessairly believe the BB is the only way line, but fry? I donno...they are so delicate.

Liz

Ralph
01-26-2003, 12:10 AM
Jeffery from DAAH got his browns to spawn not only in a planted tank but a planted community tank! He was nice enough to talk about it in a post here awhile ago.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=4752

There is hope for us all.

Liz_Streithorst
01-26-2003, 12:53 AM
Very interesting and a beautiful sight to boot! I've got a 65 beside my bed sitting empty. I think I'll give it a go. Thanks Ralph!

Liz

chirohorn
01-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Ralph, thanks for the link as I missed it the first time around. The photos were nothing short of amazing. Totally the opposite of conventional wisdom around this forum. The next question - has anyone had success w/non-wilds in a planted, community tank?

Ralph
01-27-2003, 09:34 PM
I was impressed too. I saw the photos on DAAH and asked Jeffery to post them here too (And he even takes good photos).
Not a clue about your question though. Someone else did something similar but I can't remember who or what kind of discus was involved. My general impression though is that you find more variance in behavior among individuals in the same strain than you might comparing different strains. In other words, some discus make great parents and will care for and protect their young day and night for weeks. Other discus of the same strain will eat their eggs on the first day.
Jeffery might have more info though, IM him and see if he can answer (he's a great guy). He also has some fish for sale occasionally.