PDA

View Full Version : What to add to double distilled water?

chlamydomonas
01-26-2003, 01:37 AM
Hello.

I am using a double distilled souce for my discus tank water changes. I would like to here opinions and suggestions concerning what compunds to add to the water to "reconstitute" it so it will be suitable to produce healthy fish.

Carol_Roberts
01-26-2003, 01:51 AM
If double distilled water is the same as RO you will need to add something like RO Right to bring the mineral and carbonates up.

Have you measured the GH and KH of the double distilled wwater?

Carol :heart1:

chlamydomonas
01-26-2003, 02:15 AM
I've never checked but I would bet that there is not much more than H2O in my source.

Carol_Roberts
01-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Is there a problem with your tap water? To grow best young discus need daily water changes of 25% or more. Pretty expensive if you're buying water. Many people here use plain tap water, or if they are trying to breed, a mix ture of tap water and RO (mineral free) water.
CArol :heart1:

chlamydomonas
01-26-2003, 06:12 PM
The water hre in Baton Rouge is very soft, but it is only weakly buffered. My tank is in my office and I have an almost unlimited supply of "pure" water. So I decided to use the "pure" water and just add some sodium bicarbonate to keep the pH around 5.5-6.5. It seems to be working well, but my fish have devolped what seems to be hole in the head disease. They have all grown substantially since I recieved them last Feb. The smallest is 5", 4 are 6", and one is about 7". 5 of them also suffer frayed fins... I am planning on treating for Hexamita this week, and trying to add some more minerals to the "pure" water. I had one instance of acid-shock several months ago that caused most if not all of the fraying.

Any suggestions on what to add to the "pure" water?

Thanks

Don_Lee
01-26-2003, 07:28 PM
There are several mineral replacement products available, including RO Right and Seachem Equilibrium.

Don ;D

Ardan
01-27-2003, 07:22 AM
I would mix with tap water or use all tap water as the fish need minerals. (possibly contributing to hith is the absence of minerals)

SOme add calcium carbonate and epsom salt to achieve a GH/KH of 1 to 3.
KH stabalizes ph.
GH is a measure of minerals.

hth