PDA

View Full Version : What to Use for a holding tank

espitzer
01-26-2003, 11:54 PM
I was in Home Depot today and found something that looked like it might work well as a holding tank to age water. It's called a "Brute" by Rubbermaid and it holds 44 gallons.

I'm wondering how you know if it is safe (won't give off any chemicals)?

Also, what's the best way to attach a heater in the holding tank to make sure it doesn't melt the plastic? OR should I not try using a plastic container at all?

Thanks.

lwarctic
01-27-2003, 12:08 AM
ESPITZER, I WAS AT HOME DEPOT TODAY ALSO. I GOT MY SECOND 44 GALLON BRUTE TODAY. I HAVE USED THE OTHER ONE FOR OVER 6 MONTHS NOW WITHOUT ANY TROUBLE AT ALL. THEY ARE A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT MY WIFE WON'T LET ME KEEP UGLY LOOKING DRUMS SITTING AROUND. AS FAR AS THE HEATER GOES JUST THROW IT IN THERE, JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS WATER IN IT. AS LONG AS WATER IS IN THERE YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT MELTING THE PLASTIC. MY HEATERS ALWAYS SINK TO THE BOTTOM. IF YOURS FLOATS TO THE TOP THEN YOU JUST NEED TO MAKE SURE IT'S IN THE WATER ALL THE TIME. I THINK THEY MAKE GREAT HOLDING TANKS. THEY ARE EXTRA HEAVY DUTY. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

letranista
01-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Walmart got those red 55 gallon plastic containers with wheels on it.[ Not that you can roll a 55 gallon drum full of water].They had it for $14.99. Square type container with wheels..

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Water wants to be round. You'll find over time that it puts a lot of stress on square containers and they may eventually leak. :-\
Carol :heart1:

April
01-27-2003, 02:09 AM
i agree with carol. the square rubbermaids end up rounding out. id worry. i had some 55 gallon square ones...which were harder plastic than rubbermaid..but i kinda worried the seams on the bottom would split. so i quit using them.
my heaters were flailing on the bottom..and all was well.
id go for round..

01-27-2003, 02:26 AM
I have water storage tanks that I purchased from Wilbur Elis. 1-165 and 1-300. They will last for ever and not leak.

Miles

DarkDiscus
01-27-2003, 11:18 AM
I recently had my square rubbermaid crack and leak - not much fun at all! This time I'm going with the 65 gallon water storage unit from Jehmco. I'll report on it when I get it.

Here's a question, though, if water likes to be round, why are there so few round aquariums?

Is it a question of viewing?

John

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2003, 12:02 PM
Glass likes to be flat ;)
Carol :heart1:

espitzer
01-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. The Brute that I got is actually round.

Miles- I'm wondering who Wilbur Elis is and how I might find out more about the large storage tanks you mentioned.

BlueTurquoise
01-30-2003, 07:33 PM
Actually round objects are stronger than square objects, esp when we are talking about the pressure of water. When water is placed into a container with straight edges, the pressure tends to want to bow straight surfaces and in time will cuase stress fractures in the plastic along the egdes, the joints and basically the weakest spot in the container. Round containers evenly distribute the weight of the water over the entire surface and not just one particular area and therefor are stronger. Simmilar concept as an egg.

The reason why we don't have round fish tanks is becuase of the cost of grinding down a perfectly round and optically uniform peice of glass. Up until recently the technology was just not there to mass produce curved glass surfaces. Hence why bow front tanks are so expensive compared to normal flat tanks as it is much easier to grind a perfectly flat object than it is to grind a round object.

Hope that clears up a few things!
Chong

DavisH
01-30-2003, 07:54 PM
As a newbie, can someone give me a brief overview of the benefits of aging water?

dm
01-30-2003, 09:13 PM
The biggest reasons people age their water are to get the temp the same as the tank, airate to remove the chlorine and to get the pH settled in to the same as the tank. The pH will usually swing the first day or so, then settle down. Discus do not like drastic changes. It stresses them out.

01-31-2003, 02:26 AM
espitzer,
The water tanks are made by:
NORWESCO, Inc.
4365 Steiner St.
P.O. Box 439
St. Bonifacius, MN 55375-0439
Tel. 952-446-1945
www.norwesco.com

HTH
Miles

01-31-2003, 02:46 AM
Oh my goodness Miles.
St Bonnie is about 15 miles from where I live..... I know where I am goin on Saturday.... Thanks.... :thumbsup:

letranista
01-31-2003, 03:33 AM
I am using a 55 Gallon used plexiglass tank and looking around for maybe a 130g or 240g tank. Those used 55 plexi would run you around $50-$60 [if you're lucky] w/o hood. Found them advertised online or your local newspaper or neighborhood papers. Also great as a spare holding tank for you new arrivals [lol!]. Glass tanks are even cheaper to buy used sometimes. They stay with their shape. It always looks good and can always be an emergency spare tank.I even have one tank on one of those low movers flatform[4 wheels with wood] so I can move it around the fish room[garage]. Just a thought, I used to hunt around for large containers to hold water then used tanks keep on popping up locally and a few of them were plexi[cheap sometimes coz most of them have scratches from marine tanks].

Aquatic_Design
01-31-2003, 07:36 AM
letranista,
I like your idea of using a spare tank for holding water but it would never work for me. Every time I have an empty tank I buy more discus! ;D ;) ;D

Donna :)

espitzer
01-31-2003, 06:44 PM
Just want to thank everyone for respondin!!

Eric

02-04-2003, 01:23 PM
I use rectangular 50 gallon tubs that I bought at Wal mart for 9 dollars a piece. I have been using them for about a year now and haven't had a single problem. As long as the bottom is flat you'll be fine (the ones with wheels will fail, they have too many weak points) . I fastened the lids to the tops of the tubs to prevent them from bowing out.

So for anyone who can't afford $50+ tubs for aging water, I would suggest these.