PDA

View Full Version : blackworms? what are you crazy!!!

flogger426
01-29-2003, 12:35 AM
i'm new here and have been out of the hobby for a few years - just getting started again. i can't believe people are still talking about blackworms. sure my fish always loved them, but i always ran into problems sooner or later. has something changed?

BlueTurquoise
01-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Californian black worms are what the majority of the people here use. If you go to their website (their banner is located at the top of our webpage) you will see that they raise them and breed them in specially made ponds under pretty strict conditions.

In Australia, a mob breeds them for the zoo here as well as the aquarium and apparently the zoo itself tests for parasites every week before feeding it to their rare and valued specimines.

My guess is if it is good enough for the zoo it is good enough for me!

Chong

flogger426
01-29-2003, 07:21 AM
balony! i don't care who is raising them and in what conditions - i wouldn't trust them. these things are a ticking time bomb imho.

later flogger

01-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Flogger426,

Can you explain your comment! Let us hear your facts. Now remember this is an open forum.

Miles

flogger426
01-29-2003, 06:07 PM
hi miles,

just personal experience. every time i ever used blackworms it was great in the beginning - the fish love them, but slowly i would start running into problems i.e. white feces, fish turning dark, stop eating and in one instance maybe tape works- although it could have been the beefheart i was feeding. for me it's not worth the risk.

maybe things have changed as far as the way they cultivate them these days - but i don't trust them - the only live foods i will ever feed my discus are white worms (sparingly and to bring fish into breeding condition) live brine and microworms for the babies. just my 2 cents.

fcdiscus
01-29-2003, 06:16 PM
That is fine flogger, but a lot of people here use them with outstanding results! Your 2 cents is in the register! Frank ::)

flogger426
01-29-2003, 06:17 PM
power to ya!

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-29-2003, 06:30 PM
yep
Flogger is right on
use at your own risk
Dennis

01-29-2003, 06:43 PM
When I first started with discus many, many years ago, all I used was b/w. Now I don't feed my fishes b/w anymore and this change of opinion comes from experience. Not trying to start a controversy here, but just stating my opinion.

BlueTurquoise
01-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Cool, I can accept the problems associated. Before black worms my fish were near death, black, wouldn't eat etc.

If they ever get to near death again then black worms will not be the first thing I remove from the equasion as they would be like that it the first place or worse!

I worm myself and my fish every 6 months black worms or not...

Chong :thumbsup:

01-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Been feeding blackworms daily for 3 years with no problems

Randy

01-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Flogger,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I have had a few problems with the CBW, but it is what I feel as my own fault. The worms were not clean enough. What I am saying is that I it was just a bad bunch of worms. But that was my fault for NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the condition of the worms. But I can tell you for a FACT is that CBW will give you awesome growth. Is it worth the risk??

HTH
Miles

Jeff
01-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Flogger,

I believe what you are saying. From my experiance what happens is the worms are not healthy or clean, and that leads to the results you are describing in just a few days. If the worms are healthy and clean I have never had any problems with them.

chirohorn
01-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Chong, did you write that you wormed yourself? ;D :o

flogger426
01-29-2003, 07:33 PM
That's the problem - When are they clean enough? When have they been purged enough? Is this batch good or bad? It's like playing Russian Roulette. For me it is not worth it - I'll take the slightly slower growth rate anyday. Just my opinion FWIW.

flogger

BlueTurquoise
01-29-2003, 07:38 PM
yes I worm myself with a very common product called Combantrin. Their jingle is "one tablet once". I spent many summers on my cousin's farm in my youth and it is very common practice to deworm ourselves and our pets, esp the border collies who got bad cases of ring worm and hook worm. Such good dogs btw...

Black worms: The ultimate food that is relatively risk free would be compost earthworms IMO and from other people's testimonies. If I had the room I would do that tommorrow. Black worms for now are pretty good for the risk involved. This is so with any food. I have to be careful about the food that I eat everyday (like leftovers, white meat etc) so looking after my fish's food is logical.

I am not crusading for CBW, I am just aaying that I suppose miles is on the right track, it's about quality and keeping a close eye on your fish.

I spend at least 20 mins per day eyeing my fish very very closely or just plain watching them. I watch the tank more hours a week than I do my TV imo...

Chong :thumbsup:

allan_mark76
01-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Amen Brutha... ::)

A-

April
01-29-2003, 09:07 PM
i.,,,,,,and many breeders have used blackworms successfully for a long time.
but this is a subject that can go back and forth for many moons....it just has to be personal preference and risk factor.

hunterbeav
01-29-2003, 09:15 PM
BLACK WORMS RULE" just my nickels worth :)

dm
01-29-2003, 09:47 PM
I have never had a problem with using them. I rinse them with chilled RO water and they stay healthy as long as they last.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-29-2003, 11:46 PM
I think in the wild they eat the little red berries that fall off the trees. I get them in a can called colorbits, they love them.
Dennis

BlueTurquoise
01-29-2003, 11:59 PM
LOL do they fall off a tree that is commonly known as the Tetra tree?
hehe

Chong ;D

01-30-2003, 12:02 AM
My fish as pictured in the Gallery are fed with CBW. Joe :)