PDA

View Full Version : brown and white slimy algae

arpanlib
01-29-2003, 02:15 PM
hi,
i am encountering with some brown algae, and white slimy growth among my plants.

the anubia has brown algae on the leaves, and on the roots it has started developing some white slimy growth.

the java moss has some bush algae growing on it.
the riccia is doing fine, with a bit if light brown thread growth on the old leaves.

the tank is 60 litres.
lighting is 78 watts, switched on for approx 13 hours.
water circulation is there and some guppies and mollies.
fertilizers added everyday @ 10 ml AZOO plant nutrient.
CO2 also there @ 1 bubbles per sec, switched on for approx 2 hours and closed the rest of the time.

please advise as to what can be done.

thanx for the help.

arpanlib

ronrca
01-29-2003, 08:39 PM
First, cut back on lighting duration down to around 10 hours instead of 13. Second, an algae crew like otos, sae's, shrimp! Third, leave your C02 on for at least 8 hours. However with this one, check your ph and Kh, then using this chart, find out the C02 concentration.

http://watergardens.coolnessdojo.com/co2chart.php

Also, brown aglae will be taken care of by otos however increasing the intensity of your lighting (more wattage) will also rid it. Unfortunately, different strains of algae will grow!

O, the white slimies! Not sure but may be some kind of bacteria/fungus growth. Remove when vaccuming though it should not be a problem.

Keep up the ferts everyday though!

arpanlib
01-30-2003, 04:20 AM
hi,
thanx for the reply.

will do as you have said.

arpanlib

arpanlib
01-30-2003, 06:59 AM
hey ronrca,
one more prolem is arising.

today i was cleaning the tank and the anubias and i found that the anubias is rotting from the roots. a whole lump came out with leaves from the rotten part.

please advise.

arpanlib

ronrca
01-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Need more info then! What do the leaves look like? Colors are normal or not? Spots or holes? Is the plant look healty? Any pics would help? What makes up your substrate?

arpanlib
01-30-2003, 12:47 PM
hi,
thanx for the reply.

the leaves are good and have brown and green hair algae on them.

colours are perfectly fine.

no spots or holes noticed or visible on close inspection.

sorry, no pics taken.

the anubias is tied to a brick stone.

the thing which was rotten was more kinda chewing gum looking stuff. this was on the roots and the leaves that emerged from there also fell apart.

thanx for the help once again.

arpanlib

ronrca
01-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Interesting! I know that I have had that happen to some plants also where the roots decayed but the plants looked fine. I wonder if is has something to do with the roots not being rooted in a nutrient substrate. The ferts that you are adding supplement the plant thru the leaves therefore the roots serve as no function. In nature, maybe the plant would unroot itself, float until it found a more nutrient based substrate!

About the white slimy stuff! I thinking that it is bacteria feeding off the rotting roots.

arpanlib
01-30-2003, 04:32 PM
hi,
thanx for the rpley.

so what do i do in such a situation ??? do i untie the plants.....and i believed that the anubias need not be in a substrate, is it true ???

arpanlib

arpanlib
01-30-2003, 04:34 PM
hi,
thanx for the reply.

so what do i do in such a situation ??? do i untie the anubias.... and i believe that the anubias does much better without substrate ...... please advise.

arpanlib

ronrca
01-30-2003, 05:36 PM
You are correct! Anubias are usually not rooted but actually grow from their rhizome. Trim any rotten/decaying off the plant and replace back into the tank.

Wahter
01-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Make sure you cut off the rotten areas off the anubias and you don't even need to tie it down to anything - it will grow even if it's just wedged into a spot - such as between two rocks or behind a piece of wood, etc...

Otocinclus should be able to take care of brown diatom/silicate type algea. I've had a pl*co take care of the white fungus that sometimes grows on driftwood.

HTH,

Walter

arpanlib
01-31-2003, 02:26 AM
hey all,
thanx for the reply.

will have to trim and add some fish.

thanx for the help once again.

arpanlib