PDA

View Full Version : 1 egg white so far

grrrr8guy
01-31-2003, 09:16 AM
It is now 8 am , My discus stopped spawning last night around 11:30 I think. I treated with maroxy shortly after and went to bed. As I said I breed Angels on reg basis so I saw the male following along to spermulate lol. so its 9 1/2 hours in and the female is very diligent hanging around the eggs. the male looks like he wishes there was a ball game on or somthin lol. I figure 150 to 200 eggs and 91/2 hours later I see one white egg and she has not removed it.

Im just having a smoke break here from feeding all my tanks and then am proceding to hook up the ro unit. Im a little hesitant to try using ro with this batch because of the stability factor until i figure out gallonage ratios , test for hardness in my water change bucket after adding ro water to it. etc etc. I just bought these two two weeks ago and was just settling them in and wasnt ready for this lol and bang eggs.

grrr8guy

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2003, 10:50 PM
RO water is to lower the hardness so the sperm can penetrate the egg. Once that is accomplished the hardness of the water can slowly raise. Usually folks keep the water the same until after the babies are freeswimming and then slowly add tap until (after several water changes) the babies are swimming in pure tap.

grrrr8guy
02-01-2003, 12:42 AM
There seem to be different views on this , a senior award winning breeder at my aquarium society told me on the phone today he keeps the tap as reg water until the eggs are laid then he softens the water until the fry are the size of his thumb nail. Even on here there are different views but I am so glad to have the opoutunity to hear all of them.

This time im letting nature run its course I just started my ro system today and have about ten gallons of it. they have not eaten the eggs, half are fungused and half are ok but they arnt removing them although they seem to be guarding and protecting them so even if some eggs are fertile I expect the fungus to spread. If i were lucky I am still hopeful for 25 to 50 fry , but that is pie in the sky stuff.

The story on these fish is they spawned a few times in a community tank and this is thier first time in a breeding tank.

grrr8guy