PDA

View Full Version : A Tour of my set up (caution long)...

02-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Well as some of you know I have been working on an semi-automatic drain/fill system for my tanks. The areas I had to work consisted of the Fish Parlor (72bf and a 46bf) and the Fish Area (1 75g, 2 55g, 1 30xh w/another on order) located in the basement directly below (thank goodness) the Parlor. It is now fully operational but I will be doing some tweaking here and there. I think the hardest part of it all was compiling pics for you all and presenting it in an logical way.

First of all please note I contemplated drilling each tank but opted out mainly because I did not want to take the risk of cracking one. "I do not get a replacement"... So I decided to pull the water out with a pump instead. Gravity from the Parlor makes it that much quicker.

So on with the pics: (there are lots, so bear with me)

#1: a shot of the open space for the additional 30xh. Each tank is basically set up the same way. I used a standard globe valve (round handle) for the input and a ball valve (straight handle) for the drain. That way there were no questions what each valve was for. Note: I yet have to install the drain for the additional 30, but need proper measurements first. It will just involve measuring the correct distance inside the tank and attaching a female thread to the top end of the PVC. All tanks were done in this fashion.

02-02-2003, 01:35 PM
a close up...

02-02-2003, 01:37 PM
above the existing 30

02-02-2003, 01:39 PM
optional vac with shutoff for doo doo patrol....

02-02-2003, 01:41 PM
a view of the 55s to the right (note the fry)

02-02-2003, 01:43 PM
a shot of the upper 55. The input is from the top and the drain is located behind the tank so it is not seen.

02-02-2003, 01:45 PM
the drain behind the 55.

02-02-2003, 01:46 PM
to the fishwaste reserve for the orchids.

02-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Right corner of the orchid room.

Randal do you see the 10.5 pressurized tank on the floor? That is what supplies drinking water to the kitchen sink located directly above.

02-02-2003, 01:52 PM
can I show you a couple of closeups of the orchids?

02-02-2003, 01:54 PM
another

02-02-2003, 01:54 PM
a close up of the close up :P...

Lynn
02-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Hey Julz,

Wanna come to my house and do my project?
It looks great!
;DLynn

02-02-2003, 01:59 PM
A siesta..........
just had to stick this one in here. This is for you April who loves critters and Weezy who is the biggest frog fanatic ever. He absolutely loves it when I mist... Each time I am down there he is on a different plant... lol

02-02-2003, 02:02 PM
OK on with the tour.... Lets do a 90 deg turn and here is my work area... This is where it all happens... From cleaning CBWs, cleaning filters (and such) to repotting plants...

02-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Speaking of CBW's... Note the fridge to the right of the slop sinks. The Blue jug located on top of the fridge has a 1/4 " tube going into it. That is my RO waste, as I use it to rinse the CBW's. When the jug is full it just over flows down the sink drain. It has flexible hosing ran straight to the drain in the basement floor, located underneath the Fishwaste reserve tank. I located the reserve where I did so that when I am draining the tanks I do not have to worry about overflow..... I'm getting off track. Here is a close up of the sink area...

02-02-2003, 02:13 PM
a little closer... The RO faucet in the corner pulls drinking water from an additional pressurized 4 gal tank located under the sink, it is for filling the CBW trays after rinsing....

02-02-2003, 02:16 PM
turn to your left, and you see my makeshift bbs hatchery. Not operational at the time because the fry are too old. Notice the rack George?

02-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Ok do another 90... You will see my RO system... I absolutely love my booster pump and shutoffs. Thanks Randal!!!

02-02-2003, 02:24 PM
A 45deg turn from there are my reserve tanks... Let me tell you I need more!... Have 2 100 gallon tanks waiting for me at work. Will be moving things around AGAIN on Wednesday. The black tank is a 40 and normally houses straight RO. But currently it is housing straight tap (along with the blue) because I want the breeders dormant at this time..... I made sure filling was optional to my needs by using John Guest shutoffs in various areas. I think I have 6 on my whole system in all. I also use checkvalves in my system to prevent anyback ups.... Anyway here is the pic....

02-02-2003, 02:28 PM
a close up of the fill pump that pulls water from the reserve tanks. I am also anxious to get them on 3 way switches in the fish area and the fish parlor both...

Oh yes BTW as you can see I have a small leak (the only one on the whole system, whew :P) that I WILL be fixing on Wed as well. Just need a different way of connecting the 5/8" hosing from the PVC to the pump. Look out Home Depot, she's coming back.. lol

02-02-2003, 02:33 PM
OK. time for a break. Next will be the fish parlor and then I am done!!!. Hope everyone is still awake. ;)

daninthesand
02-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Great pix Julz.

Where'd you get that water pump? I did not know campbell hausfeld made water pumps. :P

Keep the pix commin'

Daniel

02-02-2003, 02:47 PM
OK breaks over!.... If anyone has been following me they will notice I changed the title of this thread, it has now gone from being just "My Project" to an actual "Tour"..... OK on with it....(Heck been on this PC so long I didn't even notice the snow outside, we are getting dumped on! Them sleds may be used after all this year.. woohoo! :D)

Anyway... If you were to go up the stairs directly above the fish area (as I mentioned previously) is the fish parlor.....

Wish I would have taken a picture of the PVC route goin up, but I did not...

Here is the area where it comes up tho. It is located in the corner of the Parlor between the two bow's. As you can see I also encompassed a duplicate of the vac tie in as what was in the basement...

02-02-2003, 02:52 PM
to the right is my 72 bow. Not sure if you can see the PVC on the top from this view or not... Anyway this is a shot without the canopy that finalizes the view.

02-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Oh wow I guess you can see the PVC. Well now you can't... I just love the canopy. It is made of plastic so is real light, and because I am a weakling it is easy for me to remove....

02-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Another 45deg turn you will see the 46.

02-02-2003, 03:03 PM
a different angle? I have the canopy on order for this one....

02-02-2003, 03:06 PM
May I show some more fish pics? :P

As you probably noticed the 46 is currently housing Cary's babies (the GMs anyway). Heck I really can't call them babies anymore as they are growing quite nicely. I threw the CD up for comparison.

02-02-2003, 03:10 PM
another... sorry they are so big (tired of resizing). I hate it too when pics run off the page enough to have to use the scroll bar. :P

02-02-2003, 03:11 PM
One more (I have tons) but I really like this one....

Ralph
02-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Wow, Julz, you HAVE been busy.

What an amazing project. It can be complicated doing a set up with elevation changes like yours, lots of problem solving. And I like your allowing for RO or tap (or a combination of the two).

Very impressive

02-02-2003, 03:20 PM
beings I am on the subject of Cary's babies I would like to show you the ss he gave me for free. The other freebee was being shy in this shot. Jeff Doty's are the bottom 3. They are in the basement 75. This pic does disappoint me mainly because the water is extremely cloudy from a power outage last week that killed my bio in the fluval. I have since retired both fluvals and currently only have a sponge filter and a power head goin until I my new AC arrives.... I should have taped the same CD on the front but forgot. Note they are the same size of Cary's GMs.... Anyway this pic is for you Sly! wish I had a better one my friend.....

PS.. since this pic was taken I have done 2 50% wc's and the water has cleared quite a bit. Am sick of taken pics tho..... so here it is...

02-02-2003, 03:26 PM
a few of my community tank (72). Same problem in that tank as the 75. The other fluval was up here....

02-02-2003, 03:30 PM
should have put the CD in the back. But if I had done so I would not have gotten this shot. Notice that big "Dirty Pidge" directly behind the CD? He's my big boy of the tank. Got him when he was less than 2"s......

02-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Ya know I forgot to show the fry and breeders down stairs. OK more fish....

the fry and a size visual. It is a gold dollar coin. Roughly the size of a quarter.

02-02-2003, 03:37 PM
more... I have them split between the 2 55's. Not evenly tho. Stopped when I counted 45 just incase I had trouble with the bottom tank...

02-02-2003, 03:39 PM
got quite a few of the fry, if you don't mind :P

02-02-2003, 03:40 PM
gawd, i sure do hope I am not boring you....

02-02-2003, 03:44 PM
OK... just one more of the fry.... I think I like this one best, as it is so clear.... To cull or not to cull that is the question......

02-02-2003, 03:47 PM
on to mom and dad and then I am sooooo done!....

This is my fav of her.... Check out the red in her lower extremities....
Oh and BTW... Cloudy tank syndrom here too...... :(

02-02-2003, 03:48 PM
another of momma....

02-02-2003, 03:54 PM
And on to Dad... This guy is a true beauty in person, but is so hard to capture on camera..... I really don't know what he is, to tell you the truth. But because some of the fry are displaying the thin bars of mass I am leaning toward the snake strain. Sure wish I knew tho...... He is a very vibrant blue with tones of red, but the cloudy water has robbed him of that in this pic... I just love his fins and his shape..... Sure hope my camera captured that part!.....

02-02-2003, 03:56 PM
One more of Clyde (that is his name)....

02-02-2003, 04:07 PM
And this is where it all happens when I am playing.... See that beer. Well time to finish it!....

Hopefully you are still with me and thanks for viewing.....

Julz :)

limige
02-02-2003, 04:15 PM
julz, your awesome!
you have some nice fish, i really like the pair, congrats on the many babies!!

nice job with the plumbing and setup, looks like your spent alot of time and energy into your setup.

like your orchid room, your using your noggin. they are beautiful flowers as well.

thanks for sharing everything.

ps: you remind me of myself, you've got a ton of things going on at once. i'm in the process of reorganizing and setting up a fish room. while making some changes around the house, living room needs painting, got to figure out how to move a 190 glass tank downstairs and maybe a pool table too!

Ryan
02-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Nice job, Julz! The fish look great. I wish my water changes and such were semi-automated. I use a pump but I still have to move it from tank to tank. Thanks for finally getting us some pics of the babies.

BTW, I think dad is a blue snake.

Ryan

BLUEKNIGHT
02-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Real Nice job. The fish are just stunning. :o :o

02-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Great pictures Julz!!! .... I go to Julz's place all the time, and her setup it very impressive! She has really put alot of time and thought into it, and it amazes me how easy she has made everything!! She is always McGivering stuff and really excels in this area. (Now get your butt over to my house DAMMIT.... I'm next- heeheehee) :o

Her little babies are just stunning- growing like weeds, and I can't wait to get some!!! They are a mix of a female wild and a blue snakeskin male.... so if interested, you should
e-mail Julz before they are spoken for, cause these will be some awesome fish!!!

Weezy ;D ;D ;D

redlines
02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Julz,

Great pics thanks for sharing!

The male looks alot like some of my Blue Diamond x Snakeskins that I got from CARY. I know Mike Wells has some too as because that is where my large male came from.

Andy

gary1218
02-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Nice job Julz. I think it might have been easier just to have invited us all over to see it in person ;D

You did leave out one picture though - yourself :D

GARY

Don_Lee
02-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Wow, what a great setup Julz! How very impressive, and some very nice fish too! Julz has really learned and done so much in the time she has been in the hobby, if she keeps progressing like she has how high can she fly??

Don ;D

Nice orchids too, very pretty. I like the frog also.

02-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Julz Your My kind of Women! ;)

I must say EveryThing looks Great My darlin :-*

Now were's My orchid's ;D

Your Bud
Cary Gld!

BlueTurquoise
02-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I am speechless Julz! WoW! I can cover my whole setup in 4 pics LOL your's requires a slideshow library! hehe

Nice fish! what's the cloudy tank syndrome all about anyway? have you tried some carbon to suck it out? You are one busy girl! Orchids too!

Great job!
Chong :thumbsup:

Willie
02-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Beautiful, Julz. If I were to show my setup, it would basically be two Pythons! I'm so unambitious!

Willie

April
02-02-2003, 08:43 PM
uh...cool.....Julz. im moving in. pretty please with sugar on top?
i have fish divided into two different locations. so i wouldnt say im completely automated. lol.

hunterbeav
02-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Wow great job I hope to get there some day!! Congrats :)

02-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Julz,
WOW !!! Great job!

Miles

02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Julz, Your setup is very organized and you are deserving of all the "warm fuzzies" everyone is layin' on you. Your orchids look great as well---but this is where Joe --the nice guy stops!

Just when I thought you were such a nice person--You let me down with the bottle of Draino on the computer desk! :furious

JK (no I'm not ) Joe :-\

Jason
02-03-2003, 12:31 AM
wow nice set-up I love the orchids, and the frog!!

DarkDiscus
02-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Great job Julz,

Man, I need to get more space!!

John

02-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Hey thanks for the great compliments everyone. I will try to respond soon as it just took me 2 1/2 hrs to get to work with all the snow... Drag is the Hubby is having back surgery within the hour that I type this. Wish I could be there but work is real hectic, so I will be with him at the hospital tonight....

Thanks again,

Francisco_Borrero
02-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Julz:
I am speechless....
Amazing, well done, beautiful, clever, efficient, functional, yours (as in not mine), an inspiration.... did I say I am speechless ?

I hope one day I will have a setup half as nice as yours. It will begin by having a basement, which I don't have now.
I am an orchid and bromeliad afficionado as well. Leaving Colombia 7 years ago we left a very substantial collection behind (my mom and sisters maintain some of them), and have gotten just a few going here, about 20 or so. Two of them are blooming now, but what you have is just spectacular.
My hat if off to you. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Francisco.

ronrca
02-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Beautiful Julz! Im really jealous! Good job I must say and what gorgous discus! ;)

Any tips/advice for someone who is just setting up an automated system?

02-03-2003, 06:37 PM
I guess if I were to rip it all down and start over I would make darned sure my tanks were the correct distance from the wall for the filters. THEN ADD AN INCH!! Right now I am battling with the 75 gallon as it is a 1/2" too close to the wall for an AC filter. If I were to move it out it would require a total tear down of both the 30 and the 75. I just may do it yet. :-\ Luckily the PVC is slightly bendable and the fill system doesn't maintain constant water pressure.

The biggest thing is patience!... For instance... Before I started it all, the Orchids used to reside on both sides of the basement. The first step was moving them all to the same area and making it totally functional in one day, as they need misting daily... That basement is so tiny (heck I am an inch away from hitting my head on the duct work) that I really had to think things thru, and do it in steps..

Take your time and do it right the first time... lol Heck doesn't that hold true for most anything? I would have to say I worked on the PVC over about 3 or 4 weekends total. The Drain was measured and dry fitted during one, and then glued the following... The fill was pretty much done the same.... I think the Hubby got pretty sick of waiting for his wife to come back out of the dungeon... lol

I tell ya the more I use it the lazier I become.... :)

02-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Francisco...
Thanks for the nice compliments! A Warm Fuzzy indeed! (Joe ;) Oh and Draino com-on... ::) lol) I definitely share your passion for orchids. Unfortunately I have neglected them so bad that I do not have half the blossoms this season as I did the last. Now that everything is nearing completion (with the Discus) I will be doing a complete overhaul, right down to the last leaf!.... Sure is my serenity during these long Minnesota winters.... :)

02-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Julz,
Thats a very Nice Male Snake You have there! Are You seeing any 14 bar babies in his spawns? I think I see a few in Your pics. :o

Julz I ment what I said Your doing a Great Job! Not just all the Pipe work and stuff but Most of all Your Baby Discus! I allways say this on the boards when I see Discus fry even in size.
When I see this It tells Me your on the Ball. At the rate Your going You should have Lots of Quality Discus around Your House!
Best wishes!
Your bud
Cary Gld!

02-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Oh Cary thanks so much. I am sorry to bombard you with so many newbie questions that you are soon to forget once you hang up the phone.... Your orchids will be on there way as soon as I weed out the culls. lol. ;D

A busy man is truly appreciated more than you can imagine.... ;)

Snake it is....! Many thanks Joe and Ryan as well!......

Pril do you do water changes... lol (now I am asking you... hee) You are welcome here anytime (You know that, Right? :P)along with Jason, Gary and anybody else that wants to come to this cold tundra...

Limige.... yeah we tend to get overwhelmed in this house. Where shall I begin? Hubby has told me time and time again to quit starting so many projects. I am learning.... :)

OK gotta get to the Hospital..... (Hubby's doin great BTW)

ronrca
02-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Minnesota? Minneapolis? DONT!

I had to stay in Minneapolis for 2 nights on my way to Cancun (1 night there, 1 night back). Had I only known, I would of requested a visit. Gee Julz! I could only dream of my wife feeding my discus, never mind constructing a fishroom! Your husband waiting for you to come out of the 'dungeon'! LOL! :D O, well! I told her that Im out to 'convert' her into fish! Its working.......slowly! My wife really liked the flower idea! Im telling you, its working! ;D

Thanks again Julz! Is it alright if I download all your pics and show them to my wife? Im happy that its working out for you!

RandalB
02-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Julz,
It's good to see the cold RO showers late at night paid off. Looks great!

Still waiting on that call though, I guess I am not Cary :'(

LOL

RandalB

PS you know the address feel free to ship those babies!

02-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks but way to make me feel bad Randy!!! You know you are the one and only "Water Man"!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :(

Just name your magic number (fry) and call them yours. Wanna let them grow out a bit first. I will bring them to the Chi meet, once you co-ordinate it!... lol

RandalB
02-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Julz,
You know I was just kidding!

Hope they grow up quck, meet is in the works!

hee hee

RandalB

PS I prefer "That RO guy" or "The dude who makes the water thingies"

I am also ordering a 10.5 gallon pressure tank for the new setup. Thanks for the measurements

02-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Shoot Ron I missed your reply!... Yeah I would be honored! The pics are for anyone who wants them ANYTIME!!!

Heck I dream of my hubby getting into my fishies as well. Ya know? I think the majority are in that same boat. Very few "Fishy Couples" out there and I soooooooooo envy that!..... Love him just the same tho!. ;)

Next time you are in Minneapolis, give me a hollar!...

And "RO Guy" you will love the 10.5... Haven't run out since conversion. Don't forget to tell me about the meet. I can see it now :-\ "Hey Julz was a great time! You should have been there". "Hey Randal, you never told me the date. Is that a hint?" lol :)

SLY
02-05-2003, 12:17 AM
nice setup..very neat..nice fishes julz..keep up the good work. ;)

02-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks Sly means a lot. Now go sober up. lol ;)

RandalB
02-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Don't worry Julz, We'll let you know when it's going down! We'll even bring you a sixpack! What do you drink?

RandalB

02-06-2003, 09:02 AM
"Its Miller Time" Oh yeah... ;D

02-06-2003, 10:37 AM
It's Quabo Wabo time---YeaSammy!!!!!! Ariba! Ariba! Yiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! ;D Joe

cgrim10
02-06-2003, 11:07 AM
very nice indeed julz!! hard work pays in ways most can't imagine.
a definite "afishianado"
i lived in duluth(actually proctor) in the late 60's. as a kid i looked at those dark flowing creeks.
that is dark water!! they said 10,000 lakes. i did'nt see that many.
i did go to gooseberry falls. it was green. i still have pics somewhere.
if i knew that it was good for anything but ice skating,
i may have stayed longer. too darn cold. too much snow.
teach me orchids!! please!!
oh yeah, do you have a sister?? jk
cg

02-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey cg thanks....

Duluth? I hear they are under a few feet of snow now... A lot colder up there as well... brrr....

Orchids are easy!.... Like Discus it takes an understanding of what they need to thrive.... Let me know when you are ready to get started...

Sister? Oh yeah. We are from two different pods tho. The extreme opposite of me, I must add. and.... she wears lipstick... *yuck, bla, eeeew.....

:)

Discusgeo
02-06-2003, 08:54 PM
What's this Julz! Your sister does not grow Orchids or raise Discus? And then to top it all off she wears lipstick! >:( Maybe she is a Betta breeder then? Anyway Julz you have a very nice setup and maybe when your husbands fells better he will have to enlarge it for you with all the plants and Discus growing in there. Get your sister to help you too. :D
George :-*

02-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Very Impressive Julz.

If I ever get to setup a room I will need your advice ;) ;)

Ronald

Aquarius
02-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Me Like! Very nice job Julz
If I buy the beer, will you install all that for me ;D ;D

? for you, where did you order them canopy's for them tanks at?
I have an All-glass 46bow and 54C, wondering if they make
something for them like that too, so simply and light, really
nice type of canopy!

-steve

02-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Actually George My sister currently has her hands full with my 2 year old nephew... I don't think she would be up for even betas right now. As far as the hubby enlargin the basement "Gawd I wish it were possible"... Guess I too have my hands full with what is there already.... :D lol

Ronald I am definitely here to help all I can. :thumbsup: But believe me I am no expert. Right now I am in the middle of expanding my reserve and linking all the tanks together, and I definitely am doing my share of brain picking... (Jason, George (I may be turning to you for some bulkheads)and Oscar..) I am sooo greatful. Will post pics when complete (Only 2 Slick, I promise... :P ).

Steve, Gosh :P What would my hubby say if I headed off to Wisconsin for some beer and a plumbing project.? I wish I could say he would be happy... See you tomorrow at Pauls tho and maybe we can discuss an alternative, if any..... :) lol

Thanks much for the compliments guys... Definitely makes me fell like I am finally adding something here.... :P

02-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Oh and Steve... Aqualand/ Minneapolis has the canopys.... I ordered one for my 46 near a month ago, so you will have to be patient.... I can give you their phone number tomorrow... HTH.. :)

gump
02-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Very nice set up Julz. Thanks for sharing. Love the orchids too. I must try a few!!

Pierre

c-bones
02-12-2003, 01:25 PM
::) Hello Julz,
Im a newbie here at simply, a Mike Wells fan, and I gotta hand it to you, That is a great set up.
So now I have to do it, convert my garage into a fish room. Which has got to comply with a Harley( I can't get rid of that).
I can tell you that these photos you posted are my inspiration!!!!!.
I wish I had a basement, but we dont here in Florida......so ya wanna take a trip to Sunny Fl and help :D :D :D
Just a thought.uuuuuuhhhhmmm beer yeh I got beer ;D
I gots lots of Discus you can play with too!!!!!!!!

Well off to home depot...PVC shopping....Great set up
Rose

TimS
02-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Very nice set-up!!!
I have an orchid room as well with over 250 plus orchids which is my first love. ;D
Works out as a nice combination of hobbies.

02-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Rose.... Oooo another Harley fanatic? :thumbsup: Good to see. I am lucky ours aren't stored in the basement over the winter months, or I would be SOL for a fish/orchid area... But if we were to live in Florida instead of Minnesota, no storage would be necessary. Heck forget the PVC.... Discus... Orchids...and beer (never mind keep the beer) lets go riding!.... I have a 93 sporty (full of chrome but too small) which I am hoping to trade in for a Road King next year. The Hubby has an 02 Electra Glide Classic.. Have you ridden long?

Tim.... I feel bad that my orchids have been neglected. Heck this time last year I had most of them in bloom. Nice thing tho... with a little TLC they will snap back nicely... I plan to make the sprinkler system fully operational this weekend. Maybe between the two of us we can get Pierre into the craze as well.

Thanks for the compliments all!!! Is greatly appreciated. :)

c-bones
02-13-2003, 12:34 PM
:D :D :D Alright Julz....another Harley gal :bounce:I have a 97 sporty lowered, chromed, vance & hines straight pipes, stretched gas tank.I just love it. Did I mention Chrome ;) My significant other has a Heritage custom. I've been riding for about 3 years. Took a nice long ride to Key West last year.no rain the whole way(Im near Nasa).
Heck, anytime .lets ride. Got extra bedrooms and plenty O fishes .

Dont scare me......ya gotta have beer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to talk to you about the RO setup you have there, How many gpd...did you get it from Randal B.....Whats ya using in it...things like that.
I want to set up 4-55 gallons and 3 or 4 29 tanks so.....yikes I got my work cut out for me.
I already have a 50gpd and two 55's and a 29 qt set-up.but I want more!!!!!
Rose

02-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Hey Rose... Yeah mine is lowered as well, but was done by the previous owner. Too low for me. Ah Chrome... :sun: Gotta have lots. Don't think there are many parts left on it that isn't. That's what makes it so hard to get rid of... I will definitely love the RK tho... ;) I have been on cycles since age 8. Never passed up a chance to steal one of the brothers bikes for an afternoon. :P I envy that you can ride all year. Gotta admit since Discus I haven't rode as much, but that ache is back full force.

The RO... It is currently set up for 75gpd, as that is all Randal (yup Randal ;), you can't go wrong with his deals) had on hand. I usually run a 100 on it, but now that I no longer use it on the orchids the 75 is fine.... My tap is great for grow out but the breeders do best with the RO/tap mix. But, I am not using it at the time as a form of birth control. I chose a system with DI cartridges in the beginning, because I loathed the white spotting on the orchid leaves. I realize it is not necessary for the fish (for my case), but just left them in place anyway.

Are you planning on going to the 100th this year in Milwaukee? Is of great fun!!! Haven't missed one yet...... You should definitely think about it if not..... :) :) :)

c-bones
02-13-2003, 03:19 PM
;)Thanks for the RO info.Randal sounds like the waterman for me ;D

Yep I agree, cant get too much chrome. ;)
I am planning on the Milwaukee 100th year, there is about 15 of us, we are trucking the bikes up and riding them all the way home :o Most likely will want a bigger bike after that ride :bandana: my back might never be the same after it on a sporty that is:-\.
I hear that Milwaukee beats Daytona for a bike event hands down, I've never been so this will be my first..... and I can not wait ;D
True on the Discus VS riding time ... I gotta say that I have traded some riding time for the fishes...ok, and the golden retreiver too.......(just dont say swimming around him, you would think he was another fish!!!!)

Well back to the fishes........there is always time for another water change right. ;)
:wave:
Rose

rsawest
02-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Julz,

Excellent. I'll have to come over and see it in person when it's warmer 8) 8) 8).

You are the best when it comes to McGyvering things. ;D

RandalB
02-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I know this is off topic, but I had to post this pic. I had to sell this to pay family medical bills (not from falling off the bike thank you! You drop a harley around here and they kill you slowly)

My other baby: Gone but not forgotten

:'( RandalB

02-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Love it Randal.....!!! I bet you went thru heavy withdrawals after the sale.. :(

Incidentally, I tried to downsize you pic so it was 100% viewable without the scroll bar... As you can see it didn't work.... Oh well....

Linda... I am anxious for you to head out to our part of the country (great if you like farmland. :P lol) You are welcome when your time permits... :)

Rose! Good to hear. We will have to keep in touch...!!!!!!!!!! It would be fun to meet in person... I can't wait. :) :) :)

c-bones
02-14-2003, 03:21 AM
Hey Randal, you can ride mine if ya wants to.That is a sweat pic.......not sure if mine is worthy...........
I know :idea:I will send everyone who needs an RO unit your way....getcha back on two wheels........hope all is well.
Rose
An off the track pic too
Coming back from the Keys, I know shes a small bike, but shes mine ;)

02-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Nice Pic Rose... Really gives me that itch to get out and ride. Care for some ccccold weather and lotsa snow? Sure would love to trade... :P
I'll have to see if I can come up with pics of mine, just to stay off track for a bit longer... :) :)....

c-bones
02-15-2003, 04:47 PM
:o I hates the ccccccold, left Ny for warmer weather. ;)
Can't wait to see the pic.

I have written Randal about an Ro and he has given me some very usefull information. Thanks, Like I said your set up has given me the push I need to get a set up of my own going.....
Maybe I will run into you at Milwaukee, that would be great ;D ;D ;D

Rose

02-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Maybe? no Maybe's Rose... Lets make this one a "For Sure" or a "Yeah You Bet" or even a "Lets shake on it".... Off the subject of course.... :P

DRRACING
02-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Julz,

What a great setup. I posted a question in the beginner's section about an auto fill/drain system and to my suprise, here it is.

I get the jest of what you did but could you describe in a little more detail how this system works?

My plans are to have 4 - 80gal tanks for young and a 180gal show tank.

Thanks and once again nice work... WOW,
Bob

RandalB
02-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Rose,
Nice bike, Little small for me tho... I definately appreciate the offer. Any word on the water conditions?

At this point any Harley :'(

Bob, You might be able to hire Julz to do your setup, I hear she works for beer and Discus.... LOL ;D

Just Kiddin' Julz!

RandalB

taybelZ
02-16-2003, 01:31 AM
nice setup Julz,
like your orchaids as well, showed my mum and she was impressed... now u given' her ideas hahaha. :D
Maybe i could combine a fish room and orchaid room with her.....

02-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Bob....

Well my system isn't fully automated... I still have to open the drain gate and turn on a pump for draining the tanks and filling the orchid reserve. Each tanks PVC is cut to length for 50% water removal. When filling I open another gate and turn on the pump attached to my reserve tanks... I originally wanted to drain (then fill) all tanks at the same time. I just decided to do one at a time incase I forget to shut off a certain gate.

Hope I am making sence... :P Please don't hesitate to IM me with additional questions... I am not the best with explanations, but will try my best to help you out.... :P

David, glad you like the setup.... Both hobbies require a lot of time, so the system allows me to be somewhat automated..... I am glad it is near done... :)

jrkeith
02-17-2003, 12:38 AM
I was wondering if you sell any of your discus? My name is Keith I live in Coon Rapids Mn, and I am looking for another supplier. I have been to Paul Methven and I am looking for another person that sells them.

jrkeith@hotmail.com

RandalB
02-17-2003, 12:48 AM
There you go Julz! ;D

RandalB

02-17-2003, 09:04 AM
jrkeith.....

You've got mail..... :)

Haupert
03-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Very Nice setup did i see that you had the background on your 55 painted white. it made the fry show up very well. Please contac me at Haupert_27@yahoo.com Im Eric